sharpness in photos

the TS was asking if it was possible to bring out the "vibrant" scene in a digital image without resorting to digital editing.

now that got me thinking on another thing i have been wanting to experiment with.

Yes yes dats wat im trying to say.. Hahaha sori to beat ard d bushes.. :p

ask you,

the day your wedding outdoor photoshoot, was the weather good?

the day you shot those shots, was the weather good?

you can't squeeze contrast out of flat lighting... period. even what daredevil has done looks unnatural for me. i'd rather wait for a good day and reshoot.

I know it looks unnatural. But I tried... I did... :cry:

So it is about contrast la. Not sharpness.

As for your flash question... It is not necessary. Nothing is necessary in this world. But you can use flash if what you want to achieve requires one.

Paiseh2....

say earlier lah...what you just said was direct and to the point. And so its done.

OK. I apologize that I did not write in a simple enough manner so you can understand it. :rolleyes:

I know it looks unnatural. But I tried... I did... :cry:

lol... sometimes, you can't ask too much from a picture.. even if you increase the contrast in a flat photo, there are no shadows, there is no directional lighting.. it just looks like a flat photo that someone has pushed in photoshop.

i think perhaps black and white is more resilient in that aspect.

in a moody day, does that mean that there is nothing to shoot? no, you look for a shot that works with the mood. you can't control nature, but you can control what you point your camera at; you can control what you put into your frame.. and if nothing fits, then nothing will.

wish i had composed this better, always.

2403704144_7f45839de8.jpg

that haze was bad-ass. ;p

Paiseh2....
in this line, unless have the luxury to re-shoot can only make the best out of what you can get.

by any chance, can you remember what lens the photographer used for your wedding shoot?

depending on the situation, good gear and a vivid imagination can create memorable pics even in not so perfect weather.

.. But i did put adobe RGB in one of the setting on my dslr n ill normally use CS4 to "boost" my picture up.. :)

Please experiment with changing the setting from adobe RGB to sRGB and if it makes a difference to your photographs. :)

OK. I apologize that I did not write in a simple enough manner so you can understand it. :rolleyes:
thats the way i work. simple and to the point instructions so that the deliverables are as ordered. One very good lesson i learnt from NS.

in a moody day, does that mean that there is nothing to shoot? no, you look for a shot that works with the mood. you can't control nature, but you can control what you point your camera at; you can control what you put into your frame.. and if nothing fits, then nothing will.

I remember this place. When I was a kid, while waiting for the boat to go somewhere I don't remember (I think Lantau island?), I was staring at that staircase for like 30 mins, thinking how would it feel to walk into the water...

Great mood shot btw.

Let me contribute one also. An extremely boring, foggy winter's day on Hangzhou westlake. Visibility is so short that we can't see much of the lake. Was feeling down until I captured this shot. Not the best in processing and composition, but I love the mood.

3580493418_fe0792a896.jpg

And NM's point about black and white is very true. Many shots that look very boring in color may turn out excellent in B&W. Just that you need to do the conversion, and process the tones to find that mood.

Last edited:
lol... sometimes, you can't ask too much from a picture.. even if you increase the contrast in a flat photo, there are no shadows, there is no directional lighting.. it just looks like a flat photo that someone has pushed in photoshop.

i think perhaps black and white is more resilient in that aspect.

just out of curiosity...since you can control what goes into the pic, why didnt you do so for this pic so that you would be satisfied with it once and for all? What would you add to the composition given you had a second or third shot at it?

just out of curiosity...since you can control what goes into the pic, why didnt you do so for this pic so that you would be satisfied with it once and for all?

skill not good enough. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

too happy to snap. :thumbsup:

but no, nothing to do with my equipment, sorry to disappoint you.

thats the way i work. simple and to the point instructions so that the deliverables are as ordered. One very good lesson i learnt from NS.

Yes, seems like you are quite a trooper. Our country must be really proud to have you.

just out of curiosity...since you can control what goes into the pic, why didnt you do so for this pic so that you would be satisfied with it once and for all? What would you add to the composition given you had a second or third shot at it?

i would definitely have moved to the left, and shot to crop out the sign. same amount of space, same elements, no distracting sign.

i would definitely have moved to the left, and shot to crop out the sign. same amount of space, same elements, no distracting sign.

But dude, if you do that, you might lose too much space on the top of the stairs... I mean, give and take. A lot of compromise from this angle.

right now to me, the man seems to be a main subject but if you moved the pic towards the left...wont the city covered in haze be the main subject and the staircase and all be a distraction?

i wouldnt know if subject was the city in haze or the man on the stairs.

Last edited:
right now to me, the man seems to be a main subject but if you moved the pic towards the left...wont the city covered in haze be the main subject and the staircase and all be a distraction?

to be blunt, i don't think you are visualising what i say right.

i think if everything must explain 3 times to get it right, then die liao.

please just ignore my post and find other pentax users to ka cheow.

Please experiment with changing the setting from adobe RGB to sRGB and if it makes a difference to your photographs. :)

:sweat:

Don't know what you mean, but suggest that TS checks his colour profiles. Whether he is soft-proofing in the intended colour space (ie. sRGB if purely for web display). Shooting in Adobe RGB (1998) is a good idea IMO. Can always dumb it down later but TS will have more (supposed) data to work with in pp.

Regarding the images, if there is something that I have to pick to fault... Maybe it could be the WB. However, the flatness of the image is very hard to improve at the time of shooting and will require all sorts of lights and modifiers which I am not familiar with.

Yes, seems like you are quite a trooper. Our country must be really proud to have you.
I`d rather they make things cheaper for the average guy since my guess is that the pay scale wont be going up any time soon.

I'd just leave it as it is cause I'm a lousy swimmer... oops.