Status
Not open for further replies.

volk

Jan 20, 2002
West, Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

I am using 2040z

May I know what kind of settings you all use for your digital camera? (at least Oly ones)

At the moment I am using:

Sharpness: Hard (dunno will this make my pic more sharp??)
Contrast: Normal

for expert like Phil (the guy who reviews camera at dpreview) , he will set Sharpness and Contrast Settings as low as possible. The reason he gives is that the higher value of Sharpness and Contrast will give noise / grainy effect . You can use PS to touch the shot to make it better effect .

Right, also it's better to set sharpness to normal or low. Otherwise, you might get ugly sharpening artifacts like halos and such on your pictures. Likewise for contrast, saturation, etc. Better to set low and tweak in Photoshop later, where you have a lot more control.

Regards
CK

I agree with the advice already given by megaweb and ckiang. Personally, I set sharpening to low and contrast to auto, but their advice is good. The question is how much post capture processing you want to do. If you would rather have pictures that look better straight out of camera but might not do so well at A4 and higher sizes, then you'd want to use normal sharpening and some form of contrast boosting.

actually for printing, it would be better to "oversharpen". as you lose some sharpness during the printing process.

Originally posted by mpenza
actually for printing, it would be better to "oversharpen". as you lose some sharpness during the printing process.

Why is this so huh? My friend, mEc sent in some fotos for printing (3R) and the result wasn't as sharp as wat we see on the PC...issit cause the shop lousy? Or issit our monitors are better in resolution? :dunno:

thanks for the advices, think i will switch to a normal or low settings..

wedgee: I sent some 1.3mp photos to print b4 too...and it turns out very grainy..

Originally posted by wedgee

Why is this so huh? My friend, mEc sent in some fotos for printing (3R) and the result wasn't as sharp as wat we see on the PC...issit cause the shop lousy? Or issit our monitors are better in resolution? :dunno:

Monitors have a lot lower resolution than a typical printer. They show up more details than on the screen. So typically, a properly printed image should still look slightly sharper than a 100% view of the same image on the monitor. It also depends on the lab you sent the images to, and whether they do any additional sharpening to the image or not.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.