Sharp

mikepy

Jun 17, 2010
I realise when I use my liveview on my 450D in 10x zooom for focus, the image is very very sharp. However, when I take the photo, it isn't as sharp as the liveview.
Any idea what's the issue here? I don't think is handshake since my shutter speed is 1/400, and my lenses are the 18-55 and 50mm.

Another question
The 50mm f1.8 II lens have a lot of positive reviews regarding its IQ and that it is much sharper than 18-55. However, I can't seem to find much difference, and at times inferior to the 18-55. I did try out the 50mm at different appertures.
The lens should not have any problems as I bought it from a fellow CSer and it was only 1 day old.
Is it the lens or just me who does not know how to use prime lenses correctly?

All comments are greatly appreciated :)

Maybe you can post some sample pictures for evaluation. It could be over-expectations at work.

I realise when I use my liveview on my 450D in 10x zooom for focus, the image is very very sharp. However, when I take the photo, it isn't as sharp as the liveview.
Any idea what's the issue here? I don't think is handshake since my shutter speed is 1/400, and my lenses are the 18-55 and 50mm.

Another question
The 50mm f1.8 II lens have a lot of positive reviews regarding its IQ and that it is much sharper than 18-55. However, I can't seem to find much difference, and at times inferior to the 18-55. I did try out the 50mm at different appertures.
The lens should not have any problems as I bought it from a fellow CSer and it was only 1 day old.
Is it the lens or just me who does not know how to use prime lenses correctly?

All comments are greatly appreciated :)

are you trying to say photo looks sharp on the LCD screen live view before you snap it and then it look not so sharp on your home pc monitor??

the 50/f1.8 is known to have AF accuracy issues with its micro motor, coupled with the shallow DOF of f1.8, the AF is very much hit or miss(quite frequently for me) when wide open.

however when stopped down to f4 onwards, it is tack sharp. maybe you should send the lens and your camera to CSC for calibration.

actually i agree with TS. i personally have this problem. image looks tack sharp on live view. manual focus. when shot.... it gets soft.

mine is my 17-50 2.8 tamron non vc.

Same problem i encounter too. Try to use the mirror lock function and you should get a slightly sharper image. But never as sharp as the live view when zoomed in. The aperture settings play a part too.

Picture will be pp-ed for sharpness.

thats my experience toying with the kit 18-55mm. I think the camera lcd display has something to do with it - just a wild guess.

maybe L users encounter the same too.

Most probably User error, mismatched expectations or lack of technique. Only a very small percentage is caused by front/back focusing.