Sharp-tailed Sandpiper

Status
Not open for further replies.

skfoo

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Yes, the migratory birds are back! :D

The shorebird in the images is a sharp-tailed sandpiper (correct me if I am wrong). Accordingly, it is a rare winter visitor to Singapore. Hope to share them with you.

STSP_DSC1118.jpg

STSP DSC1020.jpg

Cheers! ;)

gd catch! shot wo flash? would hv been better if u fill e shadow a little.

Another good shots from you SK. You got the highlight and the contrast right. Sg. Buloh?

I dun think there is any flash can help there... hahaha

It looks good to me..as though it is taken ard dusk time...

Good catch! The first pic the birdie has a good contrast with the background. Well Done!

MatthewSL/sumball/rainman,

Thanks for the comments.

Not sure if fill-in flash will help but will certainly give it a try when opportunities permit.

Yes, the shots were taken in the evening near dusk. If fact these two days, the skies are rather bright in the evening.

Wishing all happy shooting! ;)

Thanks my friends! ;)

I took some calculated risk by balancing myself in full gear on some planks before reaching a spot to position myself. If I had loss my balance, I would be covered by sea water and deep mud! :sweat:

But now is a good time to look for shorebirds as they will be in their nicer summer plumages.

I was lucky on this one as I originally thought it was a common sandpiper from far. The best part is I was there for the little terns which were not at home. :D

I like the shadows and contrast, it creates an evocative mood for me. Im headed out to SB this evening, hope to catch some too!

Nice pics there... Like the "contrasty" feel (esp. the 1st pic)... I was worried that you were gonna take a "dunking"... Looking at the pics. the wet feet was well worth it.

PS: Did you crop the pics or it's all at full frames?

Cheers!

Garion/Terence/Iceman27,

Thanks for the comments.

Im headed out to SB this evening, hope to catch some too!

SBWR is a good start. I have not been there for a while but heard from sources that many birdwatchers and photographers have been spotted there recently. Yes, a wild boar too.

Good luck on your trip.

I was worried that you were gonna take a "dunking"...

Thanks for the concern. The planks were actually moving due to the sea conditions. :sweat:

PS: Did you crop the pics or it's all at full frames?

The images were cropped.

Cheers!

Hi SK,

Looking at the features of the bird, I think it is a Stint rather than a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. It is probably a Rufous-necked Stint or the other one that normally comes to Singapore. Cant remember the name of hand. In any case, nice shots.

Cheers,
Paul

Well done SK. Another good one from you :thumbsup: I'm so glad the migrating season is here again. Time to shoot.

Paul/jbma,

Thanks for the comments.

Looking at the features of the bird, I think it is a Stint rather than a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.

Initially, I was asking myself could this be a stint, sharp-tailed sandpiper or some birds in summer plumage as I referred to the field guides. Eventually, I named it as sharp-tailed sandpiper because it looked like the one in a photographic guide by Morten Strange.

If it is a stint or some other birds, I am equally happy because this is my first image of it taken in Singapore. :D Hope to get more shorebird images this round.

Hi sk,

Great shots! :thumbsup: Like the overall contrast and sharpness. How on earth did you managed to get so close? The last time I went to shoot them, only manage a pin head image of this birdies. Also saw the wild boar roaring at the carpark but too panic to shoot coz it is walking toward me :cry:

Once again well done!

Cheers

Newguy69,

Thanks for the comments. :)

SBWR is a good place to view migratory birds. However, shorebirds can be found outside SBWR as well.

Once you spot them, try to approach them slowly. Use available cover where possible so that your presence will not alarm them. Wait for them to approach you and to come within shooting distance. If they look at you, do not move. Once they continue feeding, that's the time to fire away. Always keep your movements to minimum and if need to, do it slowly. Some I understand were able to get good shots by shooting from the car. The key is to respect the comfort zone of the subject.

Cheers!

As you asked for help with the ID if these great shots I passed them around some of my birding friends here in NZ. The opinion is that this is a Red necked stint, as has already been suggested.

Please keep up the photos though.

I have been to SBWR on several occasions and it is a great place. Just at the moment I'm stuck here in NZ and can't get after the birds myself, so I'm looking every day to see what else you guys have been photographing.

I was a photographer who got into birds but am now getting back to photography with a 300D.

Regards

Murray Smith

geoyip,

Thanks for the comments.

Murray Smith,

Thanks for the comments and help in "IDing" the bird.

Heard the weather in some parts of NZ are really bad. Hope that things are well for you and your family.

I did not expect the shorebirds to be back in Singapore so soon as they usually drop in for refuelling from Sept/Oct onwards. Hope this is a good start for better shots to come in the future.

From photography to birds and birds to photography? They are all interlinked to me ;) . I am in nature photography because I believe that some of these images will one day help save lives of these subjects by promoting nature awareness/nature photography and supporting the course of nature conservation.

Happy shooting!

Status
Not open for further replies.