Sharp photos - How to Shoot ah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhifi

Aug 20, 2006
Hi all. I am using a Canon 20D and Canon 85mm f1.8 lens. I have been having problem trying to shooting images sharply. I usually take shots of people. Even though I aim, half press the shutter to focus accurately at the object/person, and thereafter full press it to take that pic, somehow when I preview it the photo comes out not very sharp. On some occassion I was able to get very sharp images. How come ah?

I really ensured that I auto focus the object correctly before taking the shot. It's just not as sharp as I wanted it to be.

I came up with 2 conculsion for this problem:

1. My hand not steady enough.
2. Shutter speed too slow (but I do shoot at above 1/300 and it still is not very sharp).

Could any Pro/Guru help me out, please?

Thanks in advance.

skyhifi said:
Hi all. I am using a Canon 20D and Canon 85mm f1.8 lens. I have been having problem trying to shooting images sharply. I usually take shots of people. Even though I aim, half press the shutter to focus accurately at the object/person, and thereafter full press it to take that pic, somehow when I preview it the photo comes out not very sharp. On some occassion I was able to get very sharp images. How come ah?

I really ensured that I auto focus the object correctly before taking the shot. It's just not as sharp as I wanted it to be.

I came up with 2 conculsion for this problem:

1. My hand not steady enough.
2. Shutter speed too slow (but I do shoot at above 1/300 and it still is not very sharp).

Could any Pro/Guru help me out, please?

Thanks in advance.

wat is the subject and aperture settings?

i think at 1/300 it will be ok. i guess your focus point is not set properly. maybe you want the camera to focus at the top point but then the camera focused at the centre one. that could be the problem. aperture plays an important part too. at 1.8 you get good bokeh with the subject stands out from the background.

wanzw said:
i think at 1/300 it will be ok. i guess your focus point is not set properly. maybe you want the camera to focus at the top point but then the camera focused at the centre one. that could be the problem. aperture plays an important part too. at 1.8 you get good bokeh with the subject stands out from the background.

But at F1.8, the depth of field may not be there even for a single subject. In a group, its worse. Got to know what the TS is shooting.

DOF will be there for single subject if camera chooses the AF point correctly.

for group shots it is better to go up to 5.6. very sharp!

wanzw said:
DOF will be there for single subject if camera chooses the AF point correctly.

for group shots it is better to go up to 5.6. very sharp!

It really depends on the pose of the subject though. Very situational in nature.

this is the picture of my sister taken with 20D, 50mm prime 1.8

Sister_Power_by_wanzw.jpg

ISO 1600 1/50 f1.8

not that sharp but then at least DOF is achieved. edges are very soft!

Canon images always tend to be soft. From my uncalibrated screen, the shoulders are not clear.

hmm when you mean shoulders not clear what do you mean? not focus?

try to shoot at f/2.8

just a suggestion hhehe

From my screen, the shoulder is affected by the aperture settings. The distance between the shoulder and the face is different and therefore affected by the 1.8 settings. F2.8 would bring everything into focus.

However, it really depends on what effect u want.

well given that kind of lighting i cannot take at 2.8 lol. iso 1600 1.8 already 1/50. f2.8 dun want to know. LOL.

the distance between and face was intentional. i took the pic at a wierd angle. lol.

wanzw said:
well given that kind of lighting i cannot take at 2.8 lol. iso 1600 1.8 already 1/50. f2.8 dun want to know. LOL.

the distance between and face was intentional. i took the pic at a wierd angle. lol.

As what i said, depends on what or how u want to take.

CreaXion said:
Canon images always tend to be soft. From my uncalibrated screen, the shoulders are not clear.

can fellow canon users comment on this. friend of mine felt the same but has not had a chance to really compare objectively. :bsmilie:

wanzw said:
this is the picture of my sister taken with 20D, 50mm prime 1.8

Sister_Power_by_wanzw.jpg

ISO 1600 1/50 f1.8

not that sharp but then at least DOF is achieved. edges are very soft!

Eyebags, hair messy, should shoot wider...

panzerpunk said:
Eyebags, hair messy, should shoot wider...

it's just a candid shot. lol. thanks for ur comments :thumbsup:

I will try to take some more photos again and see how it goes. To get sharp photos, do I have to use small apertures, eg 5.6 or more? I usually use large apertures, eg 1.8 to create that blurry effect. Also, by using large apertures I am able to use higher shutter speeds (thinking that my subject will be well focused, getting ride of hand movement effect). But somehow this is not the case.

Will a camera, in this case 20D, have a focus calibration problem? I really hope not...

try to focus on the eyes...sometimes, choose the focus pts instead of allowing the cam to do for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.