Sharp Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

commander

Aug 25, 2004
hi all,

i am using a Panasonic FZ 5 and realise that most of my shots are not very sharp.
one of the reasons is that due to shaky hands. or low light condition?

is there another reason, cos sometimes i took with tripod (timer set to 2 sec), and still a bit blur on the object that i am taking.

pls advise, thanks!!

commander said:
hi all,

i am using a Panasonic FZ 5 and realise that most of my shots are not very sharp.
one of the reasons is that due to shaky hands. or low light condition?

is there another reason, cos sometimes i took with tripod (timer set to 2 sec), and still a bit blur on the object that i am taking.

pls advise, thanks!!

Hi .. can share with us some of your pic U took so we can have a look and see what could be the problem ..

how olds ur cam. many reasons. dust, smudges, didnt focus properly.. FUNGUS! small lens cameras like standard PnS's are hard to clean..hence easy to get dirty..is the fz5 a PnS?

regards
Douglas

ermz.. turn MOIS to mode 2 that should solve ur shaky image problem on tripod..
and OIS doesn't mean u take at 1 second you will get perfectly sharp image...
for a guide, if u got a normal pair of steady hands, u need 1/50s for 12X zoom, 1/20s for 1X zoom...

hi all,

here are some of the photos, pls take a look.

P1020511a.JPG

P1020506a.JPG

P1020504a.JPG

i am not very satisfied with the sharpness of the image. pls advise. thanks!!

can you tell your exif data for your photos so that can help you better.
such as metering..focus mode..time..aperture..iso...etc?

by looking at your photo it should be daytime, i never encounter such problem before on my FZ5..maybe some setting wrong? or ois off?

hmm you were already very near to the flower but you still use zoom then focus?

I am using Fz5 as well and having some problem with the sharpness.
I think the sunlight is a critical factor and setting is another issue...
but unsure which settings will produce sharper image

This was taken a month ago under cloudy weather which has sharpness problem too
using spot-focusing, program mode
48137075.P1000119.JPG

I took these photos at SBG yesterday, where the wether is perfect with sunlight
using one-area-focusing, Aperture Priority
48200832.P1020029.JPG

48200784.P1020023.JPG

perhaps you could tell us the OIS setting.
anyway i noticed that for some photos they are misfocused..

1) for your spot focus photo, it's misfocused as well. i noticed that you took that photo at full zoom. it might be because your hands are wavering.. the pause between focus lock and shutter press may be so long that your hands waver out of focus. 1mm of change is enough to shift the focus off. try use a tripod instead. the fast shutter speed doesn't matter if the lag between you half pressing and you fully depressing is too long.
This is a matter of technique. used to happen to me all the time till i noticed it..

2) your earlier photos suggest the flowers are hanging free.. if wind blow, or just shift a bit, your photos are out of focus.

3) for most of your other photos, the focus is on the leaves of the surrounding region/stalk of the flower.

4) the flowers are without areas of high contrast for your camera to focus on spot focus. chances are it might have hunted a bit and then focus on the leaves.

Suggestions:
1) USE MEGA OIS MODE 2
2) use tripod
3) fully depress the button immediately WITHOUT half pressing. the camera will focus and immediately take a photo. best if used in highspeed 1 area focusing.
4) use flash (i notice you didn't use any at all)
5) find area of high contrast to "prefocus". rock yourself forward and back the moment it's in focus.
6) Train your hands to be steady
7) if all fails, use smaller aperture

wanted to post this information yesterday night but i think the server was down for a while:

hi,

it is taken in the daytime. i am using the macro mode on FZ5, then zoom and focus because i want the background to be blur.

then the OIS is on mode 2.

is there anything wrong with such configurations? pls advise, thanks!!

by the way, is it also a bit underexposed?

smaller aperture => less light => sharper images?

commander said:
wanted to post this information yesterday night but i think the server was down for a while:

hi,

it is taken in the daytime. i am using the macro mode on FZ5, then zoom and focus because i want the background to be blur.

then the OIS is on mode 2.

is there anything wrong with such configurations? pls advise, thanks!!

by the way, is it also a bit underexposed?

smaller aperture => less light => sharper images?

small aperture doesn't mean sharp for near distance image.
<try to use F2.8-3.3 aperture mode for your macro on flower and see how? ois2 iso100/200 spot meter and zoom to about 3x.>

smaller aperture means there's greater depth of field.. heh means even if u mis focus a bit it's ok...
more tolerance..

Just thought to share this...my flowers look sharp using P or A mode....

#1 using P mode.
OrchidI.jpg

#2 using A mode
P1010197.jpg

maybe coz you are too near the flower so it looks blur..but i found that some of my photos of buildings turn out looking quite soft...anyone can enlighten me :dunno: im still a newbie...and still learning and enjoying....pls comment..;)

wah.. the details on the 1st orchid is nice..

buildings are soft?
hmmmm invasion of the marshmallow man?

hee anyway any photos? My only guess is you use something like F2.8 and too much light entered the camera..

anyone has the sharpest image ever captured with Fz5 ?
better if it is a flower shot to make a comparision on this thread

anyone knows the setting for using flash to take flower shots under cloudy/lowlight condition ?

so overall the recommended setting will be:
- 1 area high speed focus
- spot metering
- OIS mode 2

- pict.adj setting ? Standard ?
- w.Balance setting ? auto ?
- better to use apecture priority or others ?

anyone can provide with more information for the newbie ?

Thank you in advance for everyone

ycchen said:
anyone has the sharpest image ever captured with Fz5 ?
better if it is a flower shot to make a comparision on this thread

here u go..

P1000332.sized.jpg

if im not wrong this is at full telephoto.. mega ois mode 2..
oh yeah use ur evf so that u will put ur camera closer to u and hence it will be more steady.

i agree. i use the evf most of the time to prevent shaking, better than looking off screen.

i will be taking some night portraits tonight.......both indoors and outdoors

can experts here pls give me some advise? some configurations perhaps?

thanks!!

one more for you....
btw, i used lcd, and my photos are reasonably sharp. evf too small for me...have to squint....
P1010207.jpg

wah.. the details on the 1st orchid is nice..

buildings are soft?
hmmmm invasion of the marshmallow man?

hee anyway any photos? My only guess is you use something like F2.8 and too much light entered the camera..

Thanks, #1 was pure luck..i was also surprised at the sharpness. i developed that photo but some of the purplish bit came out overexposed.

i think coz i took the photos using p mode, so the buildings didnt look sharp enough..either that or its just me...was still very new using the camera then, didnt want to end up with no photos of germany....

some of mine shots, pls comments..........

M Mode, F4, 1/250s, ISO400
Orchids.jpg

M mode, F3.30, 1/60s, ISO400
Purple.jpg

M mode, f/3.2, 1/50s, ISO100
White.jpg

48275111.P1020195.JPG

Is this photo sharp enough ? acceptable ?

Actually can anyone give a definition for sharpness ? The best way to determine the sharpness of a photo ?

Hoping to learn from my mistake and improve on the sharpness of my Fz5

Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.