#6 Ready for a magic trick? f7.1
95208184_8a5af26f6d_o.jpg

#7 You can't SEE me. f13
95208185_0ca8d64cbd_o.jpg

#8 A huge 25mm kite spider.
93955352_b2d18aa102_o.jpg

#9 a leaf hopper
93955351_7eea3d63a1_o.jpg

#10 I like the 'crest' or whatever it's called of this jumper. Looked well groom.
93955350_fcf210970e_o.jpg

#11 A robber with a moth.
93955348_a869f94452_o.jpg

#12 Ant suntanning.. I think. It held this pose throughout my shoot. Or it's just a vain ant :)
93955349_64a108f3dc_o.jpg

As usual impressive macros,i like #5 the most.

#3 got me for the glint in its eyes.

#4 looks just so sad...

thumbs up!

zaxh81 said:
As usual impressive macros,i like #5 the most.

Thanks! Glad you like them:)

Horsba85 said:
#3 got me for the glint in its eyes.

#4 looks just so sad...

thumbs up!

Frankly, I think #3 lighting is too harsh:confused: #4 is indeed sad but I think it will do alright judging from how fast it ran away from me:)

Fascinating insect macros :thumbsup:
Where u find a whole gallery of these insects to play with?

Your pics are amazingly sharp and bright.

Tried Macro several times in AH. Found that with > F8, the shuttle speed is around 1/50-1/80 (morning around 9:00, ISO 800, even with pop-up flash on). Hand-held is difficult. (1) Tripod or monopod will help. Do you use tripod ? (2) Will external flash increase the shuttle speed greatly such that hand held is possible ?

Thanks for the help.

chainsmoker said:
Fascinating insect macros :thumbsup:
Where u find a whole gallery of these insects to play with?

Thanks! Glad you like them. Actually they are everywhere. Mostly, I shoot at lower pierce and AMK garden. :)

Outlook said:
Your pics are amazingly sharp and bright.

Tried Macro several times in AH. Found that with > F8, the shuttle speed is around 1/50-1/80 (morning around 9:00, ISO 800, even with pop-up flash on). Hand-held is difficult. (1) Tripod or monopod will help. Do you use tripod ? (2) Will external flash increase the shuttle speed greatly such that hand held is possible ?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the kind comments.
Tripod and monopod sure helps alot but I seldom use them. Normally the insect disappear when I all the setup ready. Also, the reason for tripod is to shoot with lower speed and higher f. But then again, there is the wind factor. I can't advice much on tripod but I know Stingrey uses tripod... some of his macro shots use 1-2 sec exposure:bigeyes:

External flash sure helps but I think you need to go to manual mode. Select the Av and speed you need and let the flash compensate. Actually, your built-in flash should be able to do that. My 350D can. But do watch it and dun over do it (f16,1/200s) Normally these setting will results in dark BG and harsh flash.

Lovely series as expected from you.

tchuanye said:
Lovely series as expected from you.

You are too kind... glad you like them:)

melvynyeo said:
Thanks for the kind comments.
Tripod and monopod sure helps alot but I seldom use them. Normally the insect disappear when I all the setup ready. Also, the reason for tripod is to shoot with lower speed and higher f. But then again, there is the wind factor. I can't advice much on tripod but I know Stingrey uses tripod... some of his macro shots use 1-2 sec exposure:bigeyes:

External flash sure helps but I think you need to go to manual mode. Select the Av and speed you need and let the flash compensate. Actually, your built-in flash should be able to do that. My 350D can. But do watch it and dun over do it (f16,1/200s) Normally these setting will results in dark BG and harsh flash.

Thanks, Melvynyeo. All my Macro was in Av mode. Set to F8 and let camera select the speed. Your advice is good to me, will try that. Thanks.

Am also wondering can I get your pics details using 1:1 macro lens ? Known that quite a number of CSs uses Reverse lens.

Andrew

Outlook said:
Thanks, Melvynyeo. All my Macro was in Av mode. Set to F8 and let camera select the speed. Your advice is good to me, will try that. Thanks.

Am also wondering can I get your pics details using 1:1 macro lens ? Known that quite a number of CSs uses Reverse lens.

Andrew

The 100mm macro you have (according to your profile) is one of the best macro lens. It should perform better than my 90mm. Frankly speaking, reverse lens is not bug friendly technique. I think it's better to master using 1:1 macro lens since you have one and once you master it, you can try using extension tubes or reverse lens to achieve bigger magnification.
:)

melvynyeo said:
The 100mm macro you have (according to your profile) is one of the best macro lens. It should perform better than my 90mm. Frankly speaking, reverse lens is not bug friendly technique. I think it's better to master using 1:1 macro lens since you have one and once you master it, you can try using extension tubes or reverse lens to achieve bigger magnification.
:)

Yes, Sir. Will practice more.

Hi Melvyn,

Does that mean that the above shots were done using 90mm alone without any tubes or stuff? No cropping was performed. I am amazed by your pictures and am hoping to get the 90mm in the near future.

What flash setup are you using for these shots?

Regards,
tltan

tltan said:
Hi Melvyn,

Does that mean that the above shots were done using 90mm alone without any tubes or stuff? No cropping was performed. I am amazed by your pictures and am hoping to get the 90mm in the near future.

What flash setup are you using for these shots?

Regards,
tltan

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, all the picts were shot with the 90mm alone. I think I cropped a little for 1-2 picts in this series but not too sure which. With my setup (350D + 90mm) a 2cm subject will fill the frame. I'm using a Vivitar 285Hv flash. :)

melvynyeo said:
Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, all the picts were shot with the 90mm alone. I think I cropped a little for 1-2 picts in this series but not too sure which. With my setup (350D + 90mm) a 2cm subject will fill the frame. I'm using a Vivitar 285Hv flash. :)

Hi, Melvynyeo, Your reply bring back my confidence on my equips. Will practice more. No excuse now for me. :sweat: Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.