Sharing of broadband ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

West_ray

Feb 10, 2003
Yishun
galleries.photonx.org.
i've subscribed singnet broadband 256k, becoz i wanna share the BB with my bro so tat he can surf BB on his desktop, rather than mine (laptop). Wat is tat machine that can do the "sharing"? ... i can't remember wat is it called liao ... :embrass: and i'm going to purchase it, any brands or specs that i might be looking at?

thanks
rgds

West_ray said:
i've subscribed singnet broadband 256k, becoz i wanna share the BB with my bro so tat he can surf BB on his desktop, rather than mine (laptop). Wat is tat machine that can do the "sharing"? ... i can't remember wat is it called liao ... :embrass: and i'm going to purchase it, any brands or specs that i might be looking at?

thanks
rgds
i think u're lookin for é internet access gateway or router...recommend é accton one...

if you're going to get wireless then make sure you get a router and not an access point. only a router will do NAT (network address translation) which you will need because the ISP only allocate one address to your broadband connection and you have multiple machines each needing one address.

And do pay that bit more to upgrade to an ethernet modem, don't take the free USB modem, cos USB modem cannot be connected to a router. Also try not to fall for their gimmick of the wireless router + modem combination device, cos if one device fails, that's it.

My $0.02 of networking advice. ;)

Actually you don't need a dedicated router to share your internet connection. Your PC would do..

You would need an network card on your computer ( if your modem is USB ) and also one on your brother's computer. If you're using winxp, just use its generic internet sharing, its good enough.

On the other hand, if you have any old PCs, perhaps a pentium 1 or pentium 2 computer, .. this is mine http://junyang.dnip.net:8080/stats/ you can use it as a dedicated router, then you would need a switch/hub now...

yah, i did paid abit more for an ethernet modem. tmr i'm going to IT show, see if there's any stuff over there tat i want.

cool.. running linux? you not scared kanna rootkit ah.. i mean u post ur server information here...

junyang said:
Actually you don't need a dedicated router to share your internet connection. Your PC would do..

You would need an network card on your computer ( if your modem is USB ) and also one on your brother's computer. If you're using winxp, just use its generic internet sharing, its good enough.

On the other hand, if you have any old PCs, perhaps a pentium 1 or pentium 2 computer, .. this is mine http://junyang.dnip.net:8080/stats/ you can use it as a dedicated router, then you would need a switch/hub now...

carrot^ said:
cool.. running linux? you not scared kanna rootkit ah.. i mean u post ur server information here...

yup, with iptables, makes a very good router :) .. also running squid.. as transparent caching proxy.. again done with iptables.. :)

If possible, still stick to getting a router. FOr less then $100, you save yourself from all the hassles.

Netgear, dlink, accton, so many choices. ;p

togu said:
If possible, still stick to getting a router. FOr less then $100, you save yourself from all the hassles.

Netgear, dlink, accton, so many choices. ;p
yeah, had some in mind liao ... IT show having any offers for ta?

ok: these are the FACTS:

a) get either a dlink or possibly linksys, I am using dlink
b) since you already have an ethernet modem, all you need is the router. this router can possibly wireless even..

ok: so why do I recommend dlink/linksys.
I have tried various adsl router/bridge combos and other brands of routers such as
netgear/smc/prolink/aztech/3com.

the most ANNOYing thing is that for those cases, the dns/nat does not allow you to access your local application via its external ip address..

ie: no loopback
eg; you have your webserver at port 80, and you expose it to the internet via NAT.
your internal ip is 192.168.0.2, your external one is whatever your isp assigns you from the ethernet modem: eg: 202.127.100.2

if you were to type http://202.127.100.2/index.htm , you will be denied access on those brands of routers above. you can only access your webserver from http://192.168.0.2/index.htm

now, some might think this is pedantic/feeble excuse not to buy any other brand of router but for those of you who are security oriented and you need to probe your pc firewall security from an external viewpoint, you can't use any pc behind this router to probe the external ip address.

in fact, I've returned all 4 brands of router/bridges to PK computer/suntronics and PK told me to take my business elsewhere cos they can't just keep open/close new box for me to test.. which I accept.. cos I was troublesome too.. but i blame the brand manufacturers..

take note though that this was in 2003/3/31, so they may have improved their firmware by now *cos I complained to ALL the brand manufacturers*

this is my current setup.
Dlink DI-804V
Creative ADSL blaster/oem broadxent briteport

loupgarou said:
ok: these are the FACTS:

a) get either a dlink or possibly linksys, I am using dlink
b) since you already have an ethernet modem, all you need is the router. this router can possibly wireless even..

ok: so why do I recommend dlink/linksys.
I have tried various adsl router/bridge combos and other brands of routers such as
netgear/smc/prolink/aztech/3com.

the most ANNOYing thing is that for those cases, the dns/nat does not allow you to access your local application via its external ip address..

ie: no loopback
eg; you have your webserver at port 80, and you expose it to the internet via NAT.
your internal ip is 192.168.0.2, your external one is whatever your isp assigns you from the ethernet modem: eg: 202.127.100.2

if you were to type http://202.127.100.2/index.htm , you will be denied access on those brands of routers above. you can only access your webserver from http://192.168.0.2/index.htm

now, some might think this is pedantic/feeble excuse not to buy any other brand of router but for those of you who are security oriented and you need to probe your pc firewall security from an external viewpoint, you can't use any pc behind this router to probe the external ip address.

in fact, I've returned all 4 brands of router/bridges to PK computer/suntronics and PK told me to take my business elsewhere cos they can't just keep open/close new box for me to test.. which I accept.. cos I was troublesome too.. but i blame the brand manufacturers..

take note though that this was in 2003/3/31, so they may have improved their firmware by now *cos I complained to ALL the brand manufacturers*

this is my current setup.
Dlink DI-804V
Creative ADSL blaster/oem broadxent briteport

Did you evaluate the other features of all the brands? Functions, Features, Performance, Support, Configuration, etc etc.

West Ray might prefer to hear a complete comparsion of the various brand, instead of spending his hard earn money on 1 brand cos of 1 feature that you like.

All the while, I thought port 80 is blocked by the ISP, to prevent subscribers from running their own web hosting. So it's pretty common that you can't publish your web to the public with that port. IF you are refering to internal testing, why don't you just type "localhost" or "127.0.0.1"? If you are refering to testing on another system in your LAN. Er... won't it be easier if you will to activate web publishing service and type the PC name instead of IP? Not too sure about all these technical stuffs, perhaps someone can elaborate more? :)

By the way, PK actually let you test and exchange that 4 routers cos of the NAT configuration? :think:

By the way, I'm using a DLINK too, but will still appreciate to see some FACTS and not just 1 FACT, on why you think DLINK is top choice.

:)

Actually quite a number of broadband modems will have built in router and DHCP, so sharing the connection simply through a hub will work on such modems.

I'm using Aztech ADSL broadband router (router+adsl modem) now. works fine for me. costs less than $150. used to run a routing software on my main pc to share the internet connection but it couldn't work well some times. and i was using USB network back then ;p

since West_ray already has a ethernet modem, he just need a broadband router. SMC barricade was quite popular last time. Is it still a good choice now?

mpenza said:
I'm using Aztech ADSL broadband router (router+adsl modem) now. works fine for me. costs less than $150. used to run a routing software on my main pc to share the internet connection but it couldn't work well some times. and i was using USB network back then ;p

since West_ray already has a ethernet modem, he just need a broadband router. SMC barricade was quite popular last time. Is it still a good choice now?

It's expensive. ;p

expensive ? well, maybe, but it gives u the option of sharing your printer among all the users of the router + built in switch.

hence dun have to turn on 2 pcs (urs + the pc tat the printer is connected) to print a single A4 page. juz leave the printer connected to the router.

tats the sole reason i went for SMC Barricade. :thumbsup:

togu said:
It's expensive. ;p

mervin420 said:
expensive ? well, maybe, but it gives u the option of sharing your printer among all the users of the router + built in switch.

hence dun have to turn on 2 pcs (urs + the pc tat the printer is connected) to print a single A4 page. juz leave the printer connected to the router.

tats the sole reason i went for SMC Barricade. :thumbsup:

Yes, that's a very nice feature, print server that is. ;p

recommend u to use a wireless router like alcatel st 570 , 2Wire HomePortal or Aztech 9000W ...

PageUp said:
Compex wireless routers are highly recommended over at Hardwarezone.

Compex routers are so-so. The one highly recommended was the 11b one, cos it uses an Orinoco client on the router's wireless port, and this card has a booster antenna connector, so it has a good coverage. The new 11g routers are similar to other brand's routers, with the antenna built on the set (and it's very ugly looking too). Compex clients are cheap and good though, I have an 11b PCMCIA and USB client.

Status
Not open for further replies.