Share your portfolio and insights on portfolio-ing?

ndrockstar

May 29, 2012
Singapore
Hi guys!

Anybody keen to share how their portfolio looks like and on what platforms etc?
Insights on portfolio-ing and the dos and donts etc?

I got a database of pictures I randomly take or deliberately took on occasions up on a hard drive. But I would like to select some out some just in case I could get a job in future.

For my own viewing pleasure and also to show others my stuff easily without much hassle.

Would be nice if anybody could show/tell/share their own portfolio! :D

Cheers!

you want them to teach you how to get business also?

but im not trying to be an a$$ but a simple google you can get everything..

Ohai Nicorn! Tho its totally not what I asked for. I certainly do agree with u 100%. Also I don't know that a request to view someone's portfolio or getting people to share their views could be this dreaded at. I apologize to you and to the rest who felt he same way as you did. But frankly if I know how to do a job well, I really wouldn't mind sharing at all :D

Should this post be considered in-appropriate, pls feel free to delete it off. As personally this was posted as it hasn't been asked before. Should this be a banned or illegal request. Pls sticky this so no poor newbies like me will fall into this category.

Last edited:
Ohai Nicorn! Tho its totally not what I asked for. I certainly do agree with u 100%. Also I don't know that a request to view someone's portfolio or getting people to share their views could be this dreaded at. I apologize to you and to the rest who felt he same way as you did. But frankly if I know how to do a job well, I really wouldn't mind sharing at all :D

Should this post be considered in-appropriate, pls feel free to delete it off. As personally this was posted as it hasn't been asked before. Should this be a banned or illegal request. Pls sticky this so no poor newbies like me will fall into this category.

some thoughts:

1. People will not really go out and teach you their business success tricks. Why would they?
2. "The photo biz" forum section has tons of info.
3. It is already a sticky that you should search before you post.
4. Why the hell do you want to copy someone's portfolio layout, idea, etc? That just shows that you lack the creativity needed to survive in this industry.
5. Related to point 4, very simple, very basic research... Just look at the existing portfolios of a lot of photogs (linked in their profile signature here on CS, google search for the popular photogs, etc etc), decide which works well for you, which you like, and create yours from there.

Sheesh, we cannot spoonfeed you how to set up your portfolio. This is where basic effort, creativity, etc come into play.

I mean really, so many photogs put a link to their portfolio in their signature here on CS... And you did not even bother to look at that...

I think sometimes people just need to be flamed at to learn eh? Lol
Totally appreciate all comments. Seriously I didn't notice links on signatures.
The possibility that I didn't look close enough and whether or not I even searched the forums correctly is there.
I gladly take all tips and redirections contributed by members or senior members positively.

On a side note. Can don't so fierce on newbies not? Lol

I think sometimes people just need to be flamed at to learn eh? Lol
Totally appreciate all comments. Seriously I didn't notice links on signatures.
The possibility that I didn't look close enough and whether or not I even searched the forums correctly is there.
I gladly take all tips and redirections contributed by members or senior members positively.

If you want a portfolio to show other hobbyist your work, look for the common free or cheap photohosting sites or free portfolio sites.

If you want a portfolio to show business prospects, friends and family, get a professional site done.

Free portfolio of free photography and random shots gets you even more free work and random work.

Paid jobs and sometimes highly paid ones, are sometimes shown on portfolio media not seen by public eyes.

You will notice many world class top photogs sites have less then 20-30 images, and those real portfolio are shown displayed on poster sized large prints. Portfolio sites of hobbyists are often like a photo dumping bin containing thousands and thousands of pics of everything, hundreds of cats, airshows, 57 sunsets, 23 sunrises, 60+ HDR and hundreds of random street snaps called 'street photography' and double that amount in XMM photoshoots.

Be nice people, please remember here is newbies corner.

And also please note thread will be moved if the topic doesn't not belong to newbies corner.

Keep in mind: when you read text, the tone is 'guessed' by your mind - which can be completely off. And if the same message can be conveyed in one line or one chapter, most people will prefer something closer to the former one :) Just sieve through the comments and get the facts, skip the emotions.

This post should help.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/photo-biz/1057672-name-portfolio-building-3.html#post8240776

FYI, advice not always comes free, especially you are looking for guidance from professionals, also some time the words are hard to swallow.
and if you can't really take this now, how are you going to face your future clients/customers when they give you sh1t?

so don't take it too personally, most of the time we are telling you the facts of which areas you are lacking.
far better to give you some fancy words with sugar coating, which won't help you progress to your next level.

if you are trying to set up a professional portfolio and still do not know how to sort out rubbish, good, professional level pictures then you are not ready. How will you be able to edit for your customers in the future if this basic skill is not mastered. A customer's time is precious they do not want to look through xxx number of pictures for say a simple beauty shot, or an interior - they want at most 2 to 4 pictures that are not identical to select one. If you still do not understand this - you are not ready.

working professionals are not prone to navel glazing - it is work, what you ask is common amongst hobby shooters but no one really wants to see the other guys work they just want some to see theirs and say nice things no bad things accepted. even there no one really wants to share how they did this or that. you need to do research or pay for some one to show you the ropes - this is not a free service you can find on line.

hey smile you did not even say pretty please.