Share Your Macro Setups Here

cichlid

Dec 2, 2006
S'pore
Hi

I start this thread for the sharing of macro setups especially on the lighting part.

I want to learn more about the different diffused lighting used by our members here. I remembered seeing a photo of a group outing, someone has twin paper bags attached to the flash lights. It looked really interesting and I can imagine that it will work really well.

I will start the ball rolling with my odd looking setup.

Camera: D90
Lens: Tokina 100mm macro lens
Flash: One SB600
Diffuser: NTUC Juice Bottle
Tripod: Benro
2x teleconverter

The problem with my diffuser is that it sometimes cause harsh shadows when I'm not at the minimum focusing distance. At times, I hand hold the flash with diffuser, to bring it nearer the subject. But I prefer to have both my hands on the camera to adjust focus and to press the shutter.

The giant bottle also attract a lot stares from passerbys.

All are welcome to share whether you are using PNS or DSLR. I hope this will benefit all of us here.

4042326548_3bcebd4c5c_o.jpg

goodness... rocket scientist.

omg i love the laser setup!

btw here's my DIY 60mm macro tube with electronic. It can make a standard 50mm lens to perform 1:1 macro and a dedicated macro lens to become a 2:1 macro.

macro7.jpg

Last edited:
btw here's my DIY 60mm macro tube with electronic. It can make a standard 50mm lens to perform 1:1 macro and a dedicated macro lens to become a 2:1 macro.

macro7.jpg

Wow, you are really good at this. I saw your older post on the 70-300mm macro lens previously.

How you manage to get double the magnification for dedicated macro lens? Can share with us, thanks!

heh, happy that you still remember this. I remember I seen it somewhere talking about the focusing mechanism.

1) lens design can work either that you move the whole element forward in order to focus shorter. However according to the reading it will lose some image quality and dept of field.

2) or design the lens so it use internal focus.

A dedicated macro lens usually works by internal focus. Therefore when you extend everything away from the sensor, it can focus even closer, thus give you greater than 1:1 magnification. I did my test to macro on a ruler to come to conclusion that the magnification of Sigma 105mm with extension can reach arouond 2:1.

Anyone wana share your lighting setups?

Wonder how much does those 3rd party ring flash cost. If it ain't that expensive, I might consider getting one - which is the proper thing to use.

I never like those expensive diffusers/reflectors being sold in the market, like the meepok bowl type, the toilet bowl type, or the simple condom cap type.

If I were to shoot some still object, I will simply fire the flash against a piece of white A3 size paper.

Wonder how much does those 3rd party ring flash cost. If it ain't that expensive, I might consider getting one - which is the proper thing to use.

I never like those expensive diffusers/reflectors being sold in the market, like the meepok bowl type, the toilet bowl type, or the simple condom cap type.

If I were to shoot some still object, I will simply fire the flash against a piece of white A3 size paper.

The Sunbliltz macro ring flash sells for $120 at our Mass Order section

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570419

but not sure how good is it, if you buy, post your samples here ok ;)

Here's my diffuser for my pop up flash ;). Now working on another diffuser for my 580EXII.

Diffuserv3.jpg

Diffuserv3_II.jpg

Novjoe, thanks for shairng, its sure looks like nothing i see before.

Last edited:
Novjoe, thanks for shairng, its sure looks like nothing is see before.

Hahaha... It's a crazy creation with a crazy idea of trying to imitate a ring flash. Nonetheless, it works real good for my pop up flash ;).

Bump up my thread as I want advice on how to setup my 2 flash lights for macro shoots.

I intend to use the built-in flash to trigger 2 SB600 flashes.

Anyone has similar setups?

Bump up my thread as I want advice on how to setup my 2 flash lights for macro shoots.

I intend to use the built-in flash to trigger 2 SB600 flashes.

Anyone has similar setups?

Yup bro, same as urs.. but i used it to trigger my 2 SB-R200s instead (& SB900 if necessary):)

Yup bro, same as urs.. but i used it to trigger my 2 SB-R200s instead (& SB900 if necessary):)

If I'm not wrong, you can mount your 2 flashes on the rim of your lens right?

But I will be using 2 SB600, so the mounting part is tricky.

If I'm not wrong, you can mount your 2 flashes on the rim of your lens right?

But I will be using 2 SB600, so the mounting part is tricky.

Yup bro, actually u can consult with most of the "old birds" in AP, i have never see more complicated setups in other parts of singapore when i m doin macro.. :sweatsm:

The easiest way out is to get the wimberly/kirt macro flash bracket, think u need 2 for each flash, and whether can u justify he cost spent

It will be sth like this

Figure2.JPG

Else there's always a cheaper alternative to DIY

Last edited:
Ya la, probably will come up with some weird looking DIY bracket...but I'm real lousy at DIY,haaa

My recommendation

Tripod ~ Gitzo Explorer
BH~ Markins
Flash Bracket~ Wimberly F2 (heavy, ex but strong) There is a cheaper and lighter solution for 2 flash which can find in OP, IIRC, fromKirk enterprise
Additional Wimberly Plamp

Hope above help.