Share your experience when you wear a journalist vest....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
i saw something like this at cathay.

Domkevest.jpg

if i didn't rem wrongly, it is S$147 domke medium size. fits well.

i also read this review.

however, unlike a DSLR or a professional camera bag, a vest really makes a big difference to your appearance. i just wonder what would it be like when you wear this vest, walking in singapore or walking overseas? the possibilities is infinite. rather than leave to imagination, i'm just curious if there is anyone here, not being a reporter or photographer by profession, who wears such vest - and what is your experience with people who saw you with such a vest?

the people will look at you as if you do not look tourist enough with a DSLR along. no i am not joking bro. I got a fella asking if i am a reporter and another if i am a professional photographer.

It initially makes me consciously feel more conspicuous, but after a while i kinda get used to it.
But ppl will still whiff a second look when i go to a cafe to chill for tea

Very useful with the multitude of pockets. which can be abit confusing. eventually i got a system for myself for which pockets to put filters, cleaning cloths and solution, extra batts and stuffs

Cheers
Ryan

forgot to raise another issue. does it makes one more, or less, or no difference, in terms of getting targetted by vendors. does various places find you a "security" threat out to dig news? does people get weary of you when you ask for permission to shoot them or when you shoot candid?

not really. but i tried going thru the airport. they will ask u to empty the pockets. it is easier to unvest and put the whole vest thru the scanning machine. ( considering the fact that it doesn help putting lenses in pockets made it look like a combat vest with grenades or something. )

If i want to take a pic of some stalls or ppl usually i buy some little things from them then they are quite obliging and cheery. Dun think carryin only a DSLR with normal clothes will make them change their minds abt u taking pics

i went thru museums that do not allow photography but they didn ask me to remove my vest either

Haven shot that much to get rejected yet

Ryan

I don wanna sweat myself more by wearing that in streets in Singapore... :bsmilie:

I don wanna sweat myself more by wearing that in streets in Singapore... :bsmilie:

Can. you only wear the vest and no other clothes underneath haha

i substituted my relatively huge Lowepro mini Trekker with my vest and a light weight Deuter.
i find it is more mobile overseas. My personnal take la. since i backpack it is really sian to have another huge bag. But lenses more vulnerable la, mine luckily all came back in mint conditions

ryan

my worries too. but i tried the domke one in cathay, quite light and comfortable. some areas are web-like and shouldn't be too hot.

i would consider with a thin cotton t-shirt or a singlet and wear this on top. shouldn't be too hot

given a choice, I will still choose a simple camera bag over a vest especially shooting out at the streets... its already funny to snap on street candids

Hi zoosh,

I found the Domke vest to be quite useful, especially when I travel, need to carry lots of small accessories, or need flexibility (swapping between 2-3 medium-to-small sized lenses quite often). The soft but rugged cotton material makes this vest very comfortable to wear. The mesh helps to keep you cool, however on a very hot & humid day, your lower area of your body (around the waist & hip) will still feel a little warm because it is a low-cut vest.

As far as people's reaction when they see me wearing this vest, I am not sure about people in Singapore because I have never worn mine when I go to photo outings here. But overseas, I found it to be a non-issue at all. Some would probably take a quick glance for a few seconds or a minute, then they usually just ignore you. Many I encountered didn't even bat an eyelid. IMHO carrying a big camera with a big lens + a bulky camera bag draws more attention.

The pockets are not padded nor are they sizable enough for me to fit in my F100/MB15 combo without a lens attached nor for the 80-200mm f2.8 lens. But for smaller lenses and most everything else the pockets are roomy enough.

I am not sure what the size of the vest that the reviewer bought or whether Domke changed the dimensions of the pockets, but I have put my Nikon N90s/F90x + MB-10 vertical grip (without lens attached) and my Nikkor 80-200/f2.8 AFD in the cargo-style pockets (#7 in the photo, one item in each pocket) of my 9 years old L-size vest. I don't recommend doing this for a long walk though.

Too warm when walking around in the streets. I typically wear this only to events where I am the designated photog. Attracts too many eyeballs though. It was a freebie from Canon, so I don't mind. The pockets are indeed very useful.

IMHO I wouldn't pay $147 for it. I prefer the Lowepro S&F belt and Lowepro lens carriers for the days when I need maximum speed (otherwise I just use my Domke F802). Beach Road has also got nice carriers that can hook onto the S&F belt in assorted sizes. If you don't overload the belt, it looks quite professional. I've seen video crews using similar belts and it looks both low profile and pro at the same time.

given a choice, I will still choose a simple camera bag over a vest especially shooting out at the streets... its already funny to snap on street candids

After saying all of the good things about the Domke vest, I do have to agree with the above statement. IMO even a good vest doesn't replace a camera bag if you shoot with SLR/DSLR. Think of it as an addition that will make your life easier in the field when you need quick access to your accessories, temporary place to store your smaller lenses, etc.

my take... in germany. i wear my vest because its cold, and of course you get the look like a "photographer"

but in singapore. i was wearing it the other day.. and i can say... i was perspiring like some sort of a weird animal.

singapore, i feel that if you wear anything more than 2 layers, you are asking for a heat stroke. :bsmilie:

but i like my pass hanging on the pocket... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

my worries too. but i tried the domke one in cathay, quite light and comfortable. some areas are web-like and shouldn't be too hot.

i would consider with a thin cotton t-shirt or a singlet and wear this on top. shouldn't be too hot

Well, having used a few vests.. no matter how ventilated with all-mesh or 60% mesh, you'll still sweat in SG. Have tried using a Nikon Vest previously during Shape Run last year. Well, in a way, it good as most of the subjects were pretty ok with me shooting them (I guess some of them thought I was a pro-shooter or mebbe a journalist).

Pretty useful for grabbing small items you need along the way from the vest rather than from the bag, but do note that it's still not strong enough for heavier gear like lenses, etc... ;)

Well, having used a few vests.. no matter how ventilated with all-mesh or 60% mesh, you'll still sweat in SG. Have tried using a Nikon Vest previously during Shape Run last year. Well, in a way, it good as most of the subjects were pretty ok with me shooting them (I guess some of them thought I was a pro-shooter or mebbe a journalist).

Pretty useful for grabbing small items you need along the way from the vest rather than from the bag, but do note that it's still not strong enough for heavier gear like lenses, etc... ;)

i'm already using thinktank waist holster but find myself not having enough space/separation for smaller stuff and for filters.

the most common one is " Are you going fishing? " :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

The problem with journalist's vest is that real journalists don't wear them. :D
Instead, you can spot real journalists here by their press passes and they have their flashes mounted on their cameras, regardless indoor or outdoor.

Hi Zoossh,

Is there a reason you're considering this over the Canon CPS vest? I'm of course assuming you're a Canon shooter. Nikon has them too if otherwise. Perhaps you prefer not to be a walking billboard and want to be more discreet?

Jan Shim
www.janshim.com

I know of a photographer who wears a vest just to hold his SD-8a! :bsmilie:

Hi Zoossh,

Is there a reason you're considering this over the Canon CPS vest? I'm of course assuming you're a Canon shooter. Nikon has them too if otherwise. Perhaps you prefer not to be a walking billboard and want to be more discreet?

Jan Shim
www.janshim.com

i'm nikon shooter. yah, definitely prefer to be more discreet. in fact, would consider gaffering off the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.