share equipment for strobing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denn23

Dec 22, 2003
i.e. pentax 540 with cactus v2?

along this line?

I hope at least this will help with some equipment "matching" as its been known that some equip are not able to sync properly to 1/180.

Maybe others can share specific strobing equipment for pentax users as im sure some of us use more than one flash and differnt modes of triggeR?

Spanks!

i use nikon SB25, SB26

used to use Yongnuo PT-04TM (from JL-Photo) on the SB25, in-built optical slave on the SB26.

recently "upgraded" to PT-04CN (brand iShoot) for both flashguns.

i guess it syncs fine to 1/180 but since i'm using 1/3 ev stops the max i use is 1/160.

hope this helps!

i use 2 Sunpak 433d and 1 Jinbei Studio Strobe
Modded PT-04TM
3 Lightstand 3 Umbrellas Shoot thru
Max Sync that i can obtain is 160

Hope this helps :)

Phottix PT-04 (ver2)
AF360, Vivitar 285HV
K100D

Max sync 1/180. Sometimes the bottom 1/10 of frame gets clipped off
1/160 - ok

really helpful guys..

thanks!

hope others will continue contributing. =)

Phottix PT-04 (ver2)

Max sync 1/180. Sometimes the bottom 1/10 of frame gets clipped off
1/160 - ok

Hi Bros, can elaborate on this? Interested in strobing & reading up on this topic...

Thanks.

Hi Bros, can elaborate on this? Interested in strobing & reading up on this topic...

Thanks.

the sensor is exposed to light by 2 curtains (i think they move from bottom to top). first curtain goes up to expose the sensor to light and the 2nd curtain follows behind to cover it to end the exposure. (and then they reset back to the bottom after that)

beyond 1/180s there won't be a period where the whole curtain is exposed at the same instance, more like a slit moving upwards. pentax caps the X-sync speed to 1/180s, any faster and the hotshoe and PC sync sockets won't set off the attached flash.

depending on the quality of the radio transmitter, the strength of batteries, interference, distance, etc, there may be mis-timing of the flash "burst" so at 1/180s instead of the flash going off at the precise moment when the whole sensor is exposed, it's a little late and the rear curtain has started to move upwards already, thus blocking off the bottom horizontal part of the picture.

usually replacing the battery does the trick, if not got no choice but to use a slightly slower shutter speed so the slight mis-timing doesn't affect the picture.

i think that's how it works, hope i haven't misinformed or confused anyone..

Last edited:
the sensor is exposed to light by 2 curtains (i think they move from bottom to top). first curtain goes up to expose the sensor to light and the 2nd curtain follows behind to cover it to end the exposure. (and then they reset back to the bottom after that)

beyond 1/180s there won't be a period where the whole curtain is exposed at the same instance, more like a slit moving upwards. pentax caps the X-sync speed to 1/180s, any faster and the hotshoe and PC sync sockets won't set off the attached flash.

depending on the quality of the radio transmitter, the strength of batteries, interference, distance, etc, there may be mis-timing of the flash "burst" so at 1/180s instead of the flash going off at the precise moment when the whole sensor is exposed, it's a little late and the rear curtain has started to move upwards already, thus blocking off the bottom horizontal part of the picture.

usually replacing the battery does the trick, if not got no choice but to use a slightly slower shutter speed so the slight mis-timing doesn't affect the picture.

i think that's how it works, hope i haven't misinformed or confused anyone..

just confused me.. lol. surprised no one use 540.. hmm.

ya.. for pentax, the shutter blade speed is only good for 1/180 during the "window" period or the time where the 2 blades are "open" or the first blade is up and the 2nd blade is still not up...

to achieve higher shutter speed the 2nd blade has to start to go up b4 the first blade completes going up... :bsmilie: so many up...

photozone technical area has a very good illustration/description...

old/cheap radio triggers sometimes cannot trigger at the precise moment which results in some lag so the shutter(2nd blade) close too early...

the newer ones are ok... at least for my catcus v2s its working at 1/180, haven tried 1/250 on my nikon flash yet...

these stuff usually u pay for what u get... cheap stuff = cheap results...:bsmilie:

thats why pocket wizards/elincrome skyport are so expensive...

one might want to consider the newer generations of china triggers, those that are more low-profile than the old PT-04 with the wonky unstable vertical design and L bracket. With the old PT-04 design the flash will fall forwards all the time, and wobble like crazy when i move the lightstand around. had to stuff a stack of coins into the gap to stabilise it but eventually the plastic started to crack.:thumbsd:

seems like they are being sold at the same price, even if slightly more ex also I think it's worth it in terms of better construction and durability. not to mention apparently better range, and use of AAA batteries than CR2 batteries in the receivers.

some of these new china triggers have other functionalities like:
1. PC-sync ports so you can dangle them like pocket wizards attached by a cable
2. optical slave in-built as a backup to the radio signal
3. in-built umbrella holder to save money on a umbrella holder bracket
4. more than 4 channels
5. tripod screw on the bottom for use on tripods
6. flat base so the trigger can act as a flash stand as well

haven't seen the MO and classified sellers carrying these, but do have a look on ebay stores.

ya.. for pentax, the shutter blade speed is only good for 1/180 during the "window" period or the time where the 2 blades are "open" or the first blade is up and the 2nd blade is still not up...

to achieve higher shutter speed the 2nd blade has to start to go up b4 the first blade completes going up... :bsmilie: so many up...

photozone technical area has a very good illustration/description...

old/cheap radio triggers sometimes cannot trigger at the precise moment which results in some lag so the shutter(2nd blade) close too early...

the newer ones are ok... at least for my catcus v2s its working at 1/180, haven tried 1/250 on my nikon flash yet...

these stuff usually u pay for what u get... cheap stuff = cheap results...:bsmilie:

thats why pocket wizards/elincrome skyport are so expensive...

ya.. it has to be cactus v2s.. not cactus v2. (i dont even have that but ive been readinn up alot on this)

one might want to consider the newer generations of china triggers, those that are more low-profile than the old PT-04 with the wonky unstable vertical design and L bracket. With the old PT-04 design the flash will fall forwards all the time, and wobble like crazy when i move the lightstand around. had to stuff a stack of coins into the gap to stabilise it but eventually the plastic started to crack.:thumbsd:

seems like they are being sold at the same price, even if slightly more ex also I think it's worth it in terms of better construction and durability. not to mention apparently better range, and use of AAA batteries than CR2 batteries in the receivers.

some of these new china triggers have other functionalities like:
1. PC-sync ports so you can dangle them like pocket wizards attached by a cable
2. optical slave in-built as a backup to the radio signal
3. in-built umbrella holder to save money on a umbrella holder bracket
4. more than 4 channels
5. tripod screw on the bottom for use on tripods
6. flat base so the trigger can act as a flash stand as well

haven't seen the MO and classified sellers carrying these, but do have a look on ebay stores.

hmm.. how would one know if its the newer version of china triggers? is there a model number?

hmm.. how would one know if its the newer version of china triggers? is there a model number?

this is probably one of the earliest models (PT-04, cactus v1). to change the channel u must open up the receiver and it takes CR2 batteries. has that rubbish swivel and L-bracket
http://cgi.ebay.com/4CH-Wireless-Radio-Slave-Strobe-Flash-Trigger-PT04-AR02_W0QQitemZ280349928389QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item4146286bc5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

slightly newer model. PT-04TM, uses AAA batts for the receiver, switch to change the channel is on the outside. same lousy design.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Channel-Wireless-Remote-Flash-Radio-Trigger-PT-04-TM_W0QQitemZ350140891705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item5186060239&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

below are some of the new generation models

CTR-301. flat design, tripod screw on bottom, available from JL-photo i think.
http://cgi.ebay.com/YN-Flash-Radio-Remote-Trigger-Set-301-fr-Canon-430EX-II_W0QQitemZ120355267511QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPortable_Flashes_Strobes?hash=item1c05bba3b7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

iShoot PT-04C that is skinny and has 2 working hot-shoes on it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ISHOOT-PT-04-C-Radio-Studio-Flash-Trigger-3-Receivers_W0QQitemZ270395699576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item3ef4d6f178&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

iShoot PT-04IS with shoe mount and tripod screw on bottom. quite versatile, can mount on tripod or on a umbrella holder if u have one already.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ISHOOT-4-Channel-Radio-Wireless-Flash-Trigger-3receiver_W0QQitemZ280345492605QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item4145e4bc7d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50

PT-04CN. i'm using this one now. not bad, doesn't have a shoe mount on the bottom so i temp can't use my umbrella holder. got to get a PC-sync cord to connect to the flash.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ISHOOT-4-Channel-Radio-Wireless-Flash-Trigger-1receiver_W0QQitemZ280346061476QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item4145ed6aa4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A3|294%3A50

no idea what else is out there for sale. i recall seeing one with a hole for slotting an umbrella through. mods may want to move this post/thread to the lighting sub-forum?

i thought about posting this in lighting forum but i decided against it as i wanted (hopefully) for this for pentaxian to at least know what fellow petaxians are using for strobing and getting the info here.

.. instead of doing all the research and reading (in flickr, stobist, deviant, etc) like i did
i want to get equipment for strobing.

boom boom boom. i need this this and this.. done.

know waht i mean?

Last edited:
sort of like a recipe book?

Haha anyway i think that unless we are talking abt brand-specific optical wireless flash systems (nikon cls, etc), a consolidated thread abt generic lighting eqpt such as radio triggers, umbrellas, diffusers could benefit and attract inputs from others outside of our small pentax family.

just my 2 cents' worth..

Btw i quite like the $45 lightstands from ruby photo, and umrella holders try to get from dealextreme.co,, much cheaper there.

haha thanks for starting this thread anyway, regardless of where it is. Good to know abt other strobist pentaxians and their setups!

I think conclusion is 1/180 max syn speed for Pentax. :D
Unless some guru has a hack to go beyond this.

One of the reasons I want a K7 for the lower ISO (K100D lowest is ISO200).

How come no one comment on Pentax wireless flash?

sort of like a recipe book?

Haha anyway i think that unless we are talking abt brand-specific optical wireless flash systems (nikon cls, etc), a consolidated thread abt generic lighting eqpt such as radio triggers, umbrellas, diffusers could benefit and attract inputs from others outside of our small pentax family.

just my 2 cents' worth..

Btw i quite like the $45 lightstands from ruby photo, and umrella holders try to get from dealextreme.co,, much cheaper there.

true about the generic lighting eqpt like umbrella, diffusers and stuff.. although plenty of such threads around.

just no pentax recipe book though.. thus this. i guess just have to try not to divert from the topic TOO much. :sweat:

Interesting. Just as I'm about to experiment. :cool:

So, I dug up some old flash accessories from my dad's stash and found a cable sync and some brackets. Tried it out with the Tumax DSL988 AFZ (full auto, no controls) and found out it works, except on M mode, where it fails to trigger 4 out of 5 times. :(

Now I just need some cheapo flash with manual settings and I'm all set. Also, I'm not sure why, but I went ahead and DIY-ed me a diffuser and ring flash. Must have been bored. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.