Shapes, Patterns & Textures ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasphotography

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
I am a photographer who is very shapes-conscious and patterns-driven. To display these traits, black and white films were used to undress all colours and emphasize mainly on shapes, patterns and textures...

Now, do you see what I see?

aar.jpg

aai.jpg

aao.jpg

aaf_001.jpg

aad.jpg

Great stuff once again !!

Your pictures are poetic..

I have added yr website to my favorite folder.

Looking forward to seeing some more..

Great set of collection but I have some resevations about the 4th picture....it seems to be the weakest link in this series for the very reason that its pattern does not seem that strong as compared to the other 4? Perhaps the pattern seems a tad chaotic. I suppose in technical aspects its fine but it just doesn't seem to work as the other 4 does in bringing out the "shapes" and "patterns" aspects of the theme.

In terms of originality I think the 2nd one is quite a good capture...2 different patterns that are actually the same material ie the portion on the top are made from the rows of logs at the bottom if I'm not mistaken?

An enjoyable series nonetheless!

That the top 3 pics are simply the best... beautiful shapes and patterns.

1st pic - a variety of man made shapes: the onion roof, the normal ones, the arch shape windows, the rectangular ones... excellent.

2nd pic - at least 4 elements here formed by nature: the rocks, the foamy water, the tree branches, the grass, all in different sizes contrasting with each.

3rd pic - vertical lines at the top, blank space at the middle, a few rectangles from the window, and circles/semicircles at the bottom. The woods at the bottom contrast well with those vertical ones on top. Great pic.

4th pic - agree with BraveHart that this one is probably the weakest of all. Perhaps the roots should be removed leaving only the trunk and the branches? And since you are portraying the patterns, the branches should be in focus.

5th pic - different sizes of circles and radial lines, but not as strong and as many variety as the 1st three.

Nonetheless, excellent pictures again! :thumbsup:

:)

you've got a beautiful eye, one that sees texture, tone, and depth.

You seem to have a pet peave for the depth of field, and a tendency to capture things the way you saw them where you were standing. What i'm trying to say is, the lens sees it alot different from the eye right?

Maybe using the shadows cast by the sun would give it abit more perspective. with the exception of the spore factories i feel the rest could do with alittle less dof. and more angle for perspective. That would of course give opportunity to clutter, but also an opportunity to get a better sense of the enviroment.

your composition on the nature shot, with the trees and rapids could have been strengthened if you had shifted yourself to the left of the rapids, and skewed the perspective to enlongate the river. That way it would stretch across the picture and show the space. I felt the exposure was abit off as well, another stop or more could have given it more depth.

The third picture is a classic mistake, not that i'm saying i dont make it! You're in the picture as well, a polo on it would have cleaned that out. And again i say its abit flat, but unique in its own light. Very wall paper.

I agree with what someone said earlier, the 4 picture is abit wierd, the point of focus is the left corners and that forces the eye to search for the subject. If your intention was that, then it has reached your objective, but i feel its a weak picture all together. Eliminating the current focal subject and moving right, you would have gotten yourself a beautiful scene of branches in different directions. depth of field here was critical, but you didnt' have it.

Are the spore factories on f8? I dont know why, but i feel every macro shot has sooo little depth of field, this iis where we want to see it all! comeon close up the apeture, put the tripod on and let er rip. those things aint runnin nowhere!

:)

A beautiful collection altogether though, brilliant work.

regards
yanfeng

Thanks to all who contributed, good or bad ...

Nihar, never know my pics are that poetic and appreciate adding my website to your favourite folder. ;) Do drop by my site often ya

And yes, BraveHart, thoa_rs and ziploc, the 3rd pic is my favourite too! We don't get to see this type of picture often, do we?

The 4th pic doesn't seem very popular ehhh :( nevermind, I will be back again with better shots to silent all critics !!! :rbounce:

Originally posted by yanfengl

You seem to have a pet peave for the depth of field, and a tendency to capture things the way you saw them where you were standing.

First, thanks for taking your time out to comment. It really is a huge chunk of information to absorb before I can "retaliate". Now, it's time to get nasty!!! kekeke...

I thank you for publicy announce my eye is "beautiful". :D It took me hours to get over the compliment.

Put that aside, I don't easily expose a single shot until I found the right viewpoint. If time is of concern and place I would never step foot again, I will normally take a couple of shots as a precaution and then select JUST ONE from the lot.

So, my point is... I don't have the tendency to capture things the way I saw them where I was standing.

your composition on the nature shot, with the trees and rapids could have been strengthened if you had shifted yourself to the left of the rapids, and skewed the perspective to enlongate the river. That way it would stretch across the picture and show the space.

I actually negotiated around the rapids, left and right but found the centre - pic 3 showed more of what I wanted people to see - the pebble rocks.

As you suggested and also what I had in mind then to elongate the river, I moved to the left of the rapids but it didn't quite work as well as we initially thought. As we moved, the perspective of the scene changed: we will see more we want to see but at the same time, we will also see more we don't want to see!

To come to a compromise of what I want and don't want to see, I chose to expose pic 3. See, I don't just take a shot the way I saw them where I was standing. ;)

I understood your expressed intention but sometimes, it is not always what we want to see we will get it all on film.

I agree with what someone said earlier, the 4 picture is abit wierd, the point of focus is the left corners and that forces the eye to search for the subject. If your intention was that, then it has reached your objective, but i feel its a weak picture all together. Eliminating the current focal subject and moving right, you would have gotten yourself a beautiful scene of branches in different directions. depth of field here was critical, but you didnt' have it.

To be honest with you, I did compose a shot without the roots but did not make an exposure of it. I was really intrigued by the fact that a tree this BIG can be uprooted and yet survive in that position for more than 2 years. So, I brought the more than a human height roots into the picture!

Not just that, I thought the uprooted parts help to contrast and break the otherwise monotonous pattern of the branches.

Yes, agree with you guys that my emphasis or point of focus should have been placed on those branches to tie well with my theme - Shapes, Patterns & Textures ... but this was not what I had in mind when I took that shot but again I apologized. :)

Originally posted by jasphotography

I thank you for publicy announce my eye is "beautiful". :D It took me hours to get over the compliment.

hahahah....no gay talk here pls!!!! :bsmilie:
you meant to say jas has an eye for beauty????

Status
Not open for further replies.