Shapes of Softboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipfreak

Nov 26, 2007
Singapore
www.rogerchua.com
To what extend does the shape of a softbox make any difference in the light? I only see the difference in controlling the shape of the light.

Isn't that the key difference. You want the softbox to be larger than the subject, where possible.

the shape of the softboxe will show on the reflection surface of your subject, eg for a human, that will be the shape of catchlight.

to get effective softness of light, the size of the softbox should be the same size as your subject, eg, full length portrait using a 6ft softbox,

and also the optimum distant between the softbox and subject, the distance should be the same as the diagonal of your softbox. eg, a 3ft x 3ft softbox should place about 4ft away from your subject.

hope this help.

To what extend does the shape of a softbox make any difference in the light? I only see the difference in controlling the shape of the light.

Good query... I personally would feel that the size is more of the key, but some may prefer a more natural round shape or mebbe hexagonal shape for the catchlights than a square or rectangular one....

What's the biggest softbox we can get for flashes like 580EXII? Is those Octabox useful to get rounder catchlights?

What's the biggest softbox we can get for flashes like 580EXII? Is those Octabox useful to get rounder catchlights?

Yeahh I would like to know as well

assuming the overall volume of the softbox is the same for a square, circular and rectangular softbox, which one will be more efficient? i am guessing the round one but i see more of the square and rectangular ones being used. any special reason? cost?

You can get as big as you want, but honestly, I think using softboxes with such small flashes yield unsatisfactory results. There simply isn't enough power.

Not really, the shape doesn't really matter as much as the design.

In fact, my octagonal one is faster to set up because it is designed like an inverted umbrella, whilst my rectangular ones are old school poke rods into speed ring types.

i'll hazard a guess...the square/rectangular ones are easier to set up!

and i think might also be easier to use in smaller spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.