Shanghai Trip

infinity

Oct 11, 2007
Sembawang
Hi all,

Need some advice. Planning to go Shanghai for 9 days in mid-Nov (might travel to Hang Zhou and Su Zhou), cold weather expected (10 - 15 degrees).

Some queries,

1. Is it fine to bring my 40D there? Condensation issues, others etc?
2. Any recommendation of the type of lens to bring there? Currently using only kit lens, plan to buy a 17-55mm f/2.8 for this trip (sufficient coverage?), not sure about the security there, any advice from those who have been there?
3. Convenience of shooting there? Gloves, change of lens, others etc?
4. Any additional advice / suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

wrt to your qns..
1> no issue on bringing 40D, Condensation usually not a problem
2. hmm, 17--55mm overlaps your kit lens right? If it's me, i will opt for a 18-200mm lens, sure it may not be f2.8 but at least you have the versatility and less need to change lenses (which avoids dirty sensors, less chance of dropping lenses). Shanghai is very safe so no worries.
3. never have much problem shooting in Shanghai, gloves is not needed in shanghai.
4. plan your itinerary ahead. Also, shanghai usually is quite gloomy almost all the time.. be mentally period for "white" sky :)

wrt to your qns..
1> no issue on bringing 40D, Condensation usually not a problem
2. hmm, 17--55mm overlaps your kit lens right? If it's me, i will opt for a 18-200mm lens, sure it may not be f2.8 but at least you have the versatility and less need to change lenses (which avoids dirty sensors, less chance of dropping lenses). Shanghai is very safe so no worries.
3. never have much problem shooting in Shanghai, gloves is not needed in shanghai.
4. plan your itinerary ahead. Also, shanghai usually is quite gloomy almost all the time.. be mentally period for "white" sky :)

Thanks very much for your valuable inputs. :)
2. I am considering the 15-85mm now (wider and longer zoom) for this trip.
4. Planning in progress now.... :)

im going in mid dec...same itinery as urs...
hangzhou, suzhou...

I heard Xi hu is very nice..so wondering if i shld bring my tripod and some filters to capture mirror image..but then again, doubt i have the luxury to mount my tripod etc...:)

oh my weather expected shld be from 0-9degrees then

I'll be in Shanghai again this dec...but for work. I see many in the tourist area 步行街,外滩etc. And they carry kit lens only. One thing, 外滩 is under renovation for the World Expo. You are not able to take the river shot and it's very dusty.

Also you'll need tripod for the night scenes in all your destinations.

Here's my takes recently in Shanghai, courtesy from my handphone.

http://7lights.lefora.com/2009/10/18/shanghai-in-the-eyes-of-n82/page1/#post15370562

Hi all,

Need some advice. Planning to go Shanghai for 9 days in mid-Nov (might travel to Hang Zhou and Su Zhou), cold weather expected (10 - 15 degrees).

Some queries,

1. Is it fine to bring my 40D there? Condensation issues, others etc?
2. Any recommendation of the type of lens to bring there? Currently using only kit lens, plan to buy a 17-55mm f/2.8 for this trip (sufficient coverage?), not sure about the security there, any advice from those who have been there?
3. Convenience of shooting there? Gloves, change of lens, others etc?
4. Any additional advice / suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

1. No problem with 40D. Could be condensation if you move from outdoor to indoor. Thus, always keep the camera in bag for a while, before take it out. To me, low temp isn't a problem for camera, but for us, need more preparation.

Glove is needed, but IMO you need a glove that won't make your finger too difficult to adjust camera setting. Means, after you wear the gloves, your hand still as effective as you are not wearing gloves.

When I was there last Dec, early of DEC, sometimes the skies is blue with sun, but surprisingly the wind is very strong and very cold / freezing.

Check the weather before going out: http://www.cma.gov.cn/

2. Shanghai is a big city, many residence are not local to there too. Majority of people there will think you are just someone from other part of China or HK. DSLR is quite common in Shanghai especially tourist area, a lot Chinese from other China city also brought their DSLR to Shanghai when they travel there.

IMO, unless you going to sell your kit lens, if not, you may consider get a UWA, instead of 17-55

3. It is convenience to shoot there. I can walk around myself with my tripod. Can change lens too. And I can expect, since the world expo is coming up, the Government will sure trying to control any possible crime. (same as last year Beijing Olympic)

4. You following a tour or Walk your own?
If you understand Chinese, taking their public transport is quite easy. Buses can be helpful, and it is cheap by bus. Taxi is not expensive, but you need to tell the driver the junction 2 roads (e.g Huang he lu Beijing Xi lu, rahter then just Huang he lu or just Beijing xi lu.)

hi,

just back from vacation in shanghai... bought my 50d with 18-200mn lens, cleaning kit, cf cards, and 1 backup p&p camera...

if u r taking a train to suzhou and hangzhou and opt for the local tour, time is of an essence to them. u do not have time for tripod setup. so if possible, if u wan to visit the attractions @ your own timing, do some homework on the places u wan to visit and take a cab to reach there.

have my 50d with lens mounted with my rapid strap for the whole trip, and it worked out quite well...weather is cooling, dun worry abt condensation... pm me if u need more information.

shanghai is ok. hangzhou u need to be more careful. there are pickpockets working around tourist spots.

im going in mid dec...same itinery as urs...
hangzhou, suzhou...

I heard Xi hu is very nice..so wondering if i shld bring my tripod and some filters to capture mirror image..but then again, doubt i have the luxury to mount my tripod etc...:)

oh my weather expected shld be from 0-9degrees then

Hi, the month of Dec is the coldest in Shanghai and from all the advice gathered, most would recommend a general walk-about lens for shoots (UWA would be best for scenerym what kind of shots you looking at? Is yours' a package or free & easy trip?), tripod is an optional choice. Xi Hu is very beautiful, a definite "must visit" place. Cheers! ;)

shanghai is ok. hangzhou u need to be more careful. there are pickpockets working around tourist spots.

Thanks for the advice, I will be using a sling bag (6 mil home), would sling it in front as a pre-caution. :)

I'll be in Shanghai again this dec...but for work. I see many in the tourist area 步行街,外滩etc. And they carry kit lens only. One thing, 外滩 is under renovation for the World Expo. You are not able to take the river shot and it's very dusty.

Also you'll need tripod for the night scenes in all your destinations.

Here's my takes recently in Shanghai, courtesy from my handphone.

http://7lights.lefora.com/2009/10/18/shanghai-in-the-eyes-of-n82/page1/#post15370562

Huh? That's a real disappointment (but many thanks for the heads-up info!), the Bund is highly recommended for photoshoot. Sigh..... :cry:

Love your pics, man..... thanks for sharing~! :thumbsup:

hi,

just back from vacation in shanghai... bought my 50d with 18-200mn lens, cleaning kit, cf cards, and 1 backup p&p camera...

if u r taking a train to suzhou and hangzhou and opt for the local tour, time is of an essence to them. u do not have time for tripod setup. so if possible, if u wan to visit the attractions @ your own timing, do some homework on the places u wan to visit and take a cab to reach there.

have my 50d with lens mounted with my rapid strap for the whole trip, and it worked out quite well...weather is cooling, dun worry abt condensation... pm me if u need more information.

This will be a free & easy trip for me and my friends, I do agree that time will be an essential factor, did you took up the local tour for Hangzhou and Suzhou? Would you recommend that or F&E would be better? Are cabs over there affordable and err, safe (most important)?

Thanks for the valuable advice! :)

1. No problem with 40D. Could be condensation if you move from outdoor to indoor. Thus, always keep the camera in bag for a while, before take it out. To me, low temp isn't a problem for camera, but for us, need more preparation.

Glove is needed, but IMO you need a glove that won't make your finger too difficult to adjust camera setting. Means, after you wear the gloves, your hand still as effective as you are not wearing gloves.

When I was there last Dec, early of DEC, sometimes the skies is blue with sun, but surprisingly the wind is very strong and very cold / freezing.

Check the weather before going out: http://www.cma.gov.cn/

2. Shanghai is a big city, many residence are not local to there too. Majority of people there will think you are just someone from other part of China or HK. DSLR is quite common in Shanghai especially tourist area, a lot Chinese from other China city also brought their DSLR to Shanghai when they travel there.

IMO, unless you going to sell your kit lens, if not, you may consider get a UWA, instead of 17-55

3. It is convenience to shoot there. I can walk around myself with my tripod. Can change lens too. And I can expect, since the world expo is coming up, the Government will sure trying to control any possible crime. (same as last year Beijing Olympic)

4. You following a tour or Walk your own?
If you understand Chinese, taking their public transport is quite easy. Buses can be helpful, and it is cheap by bus. Taxi is not expensive, but you need to tell the driver the junction 2 roads (e.g Huang he lu Beijing Xi lu, rahter then just Huang he lu or just Beijing xi lu.)

Thanks bro, for the valuable feedbacks~! :)
This will be a F&E trip for me and hopefully, I do remember my Chinese! Haha.....
As for being specific to the cab driver, are they "confortable" with regard to map reading (which means pointing to a place on the map - with Chinese words and indicating him to bring us there)? :think:

hi,

I never been to Suzhou and Hangzhou, but for Nanjing, it is possible to travel around the tourist spot by public buses. Of course taxi is faster and easier.

by the way, TS is going in mid Nov, not now. it is another month. By that time, the weather in Shanghai is already quite cold.

Thanks bro, for the valuable feedbacks~! :)
This will be a F&E trip for me and hopefully, I do remember my Chinese! Haha.....
As for being specific to the cab driver, are they "confortable" with regard to map reading (which means pointing to a place on the map - with Chinese words and indicating him to bring us there)? :think:

In Shanghai, you can buy a local map at RMB2 (if you met someone sell it on train) or at some small road side book stall, usually sell at RMB6.

In the map, it is very comprehensive, with all the bus services, and trains.

for taxi, as long as you can produce them the correct Chinese term (either on map or you write on a piece of paper or you speak correctly), most of them will be able to locate the place, unless they are not familiar (like in Sg also some driver not familiar with certain less famous location)

This will be a free & easy trip for me and my friends, I do agree that time will be an essential factor, did you took up the local tour for Hangzhou and Suzhou? Would you recommend that or F&E would be better? Are cabs over there affordable and err, safe (most important)?

Thanks for the valuable advice! :)

hi hi,

local tour will be good if u wan to see all main attractions in 1 day but each session last abt 40min to 1 hr.

so if u wan to spend more time per attraction, my advise will be free & easy taking the cab. cab drivers for the 2 places are quite ok. also since u r travelling in a group, should be quite safe. do homework for the 2 places, write down the attractions in chinese if u r not good @ pronouncing, so that u can show to the cab driver. As for the cab fare, it is super cheap...hehe so dun worry.

also for hangzhou, spend 2 days if possible staying overnite. alot of very nice places to go.

suzhou 1 day will be fine.

Last edited:
I never been to Suzhou and Hangzhou, but for Nanjing, it is possible to travel around the tourist spot by public buses. Of course taxi is faster and easier.

by the way, TS is going in mid Nov, not now. it is another month. By that time, the weather in Shanghai is already quite cold.

True, the expected temperature range from 10 - 15c. Brrr...... :sweat:

In Shanghai, you can buy a local map at RMB2 (if you met someone sell it on train) or at some small road side book stall, usually sell at RMB6.

In the map, it is very comprehensive, with all the bus services, and trains.

for taxi, as long as you can produce them the correct Chinese term (either on map or you write on a piece of paper or you speak correctly), most of them will be able to locate the place, unless they are not familiar (like in Sg also some driver not familiar with certain less famous location)

Great to know that, hope I can a free one at the airport, hotel etc. Hehe.....
Thanks! :)

hi hi,

local tour will be good if u wan to see all main attractions in 1 day but each session last abt 40min to 1 hr.

so if u wan to spend more time per attraction, my advise will be free & easy taking the cab. cab drivers for the 2 places are quite ok. also since u r travelling in a group, should be quite safe. do homework for the 2 places, write down the attractions in chinese if u r not good @ pronouncing, so that u can show to the cab driver. As for the cab fare, it is super cheap...hehe so dun worry.

also for hangzhou, spend 2 days if possible staying overnite. alot of very nice places to go.

suzhou 1 day will be fine.

Thanks for the info, I would love to spend 2 days at Hangzhou too but due to time constraint, may not be able to do so.
1. Is it possible to go to both Hangzhou and Suzhou on the same day?
2. Are they near to one another? As in going from Shanghai to Hangzhou for 1/2 day and from Hangzhou to Suzhou for 1/2 day?
3. Any "must see" attractions in Hangzhou and Suzhou you can recommend? Which is better if I can only choose one (I am assuming your answer is Hangzhou, right?)?

Apologies for the many qns and thanks in advance! ;)

Great to know that, hope I can a free one at the airport, hotel etc. Hehe.....
Thanks! :)

I think the free map will not be informative enough. You can get it at tourist office, I'm not sure in the Pudong airport got the office or not, but I know there is one branch in Yuyuan bazaar.

How long is your total trip? If you wonder around a lot on your own, I feel best to get the cheap yet informative local map.

Thanks for the info, I would love to spend 2 days at Hangzhou too but due to time constraint, may not be able to do so.
1. Is it possible to go to both Hangzhou and Suzhou on the same day?
2. Are they near to one another? As in going from Shanghai to Hangzhou for 1/2 day and from Hangzhou to Suzhou for 1/2 day?
3. Any "must see" attractions in Hangzhou and Suzhou you can recommend? Which is better if I can only choose one (I am assuming your answer is Hangzhou, right?)?

Apologies for the many qns and thanks in advance! ;)

1 & 2. It is possible, but you will only have about maximum 3 hours for both location, thus, rather not go.

Shanghai - Hangzhou by the fast train - about 1 hour
Shanghai - Suzhou by the fast train - about 40 min.

There could be day tour offered in Shanghai covered both city in one day, but I won't suggest you do that.

3. I personally will choose Hangzhou, but there could be comments that Hangzhou is over commercial, but again most tourist spot in the vicinity of Shanghai are commercialized.