Shallow DOF with Strobe - Headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisiang

Oct 3, 2004
Ho Chi Minh City
www.swog.sg
Hi,

I'm trying to take some portrait shots using strobe but I find it almost impossible to get a shallow depth of field. My D2X can sync at 1/320s so aperture is about F8~F/11 :confused:

I've tried attaching a cir-PL but that only brings down 2 stops. The strobe is already at low power setting and if I move it further away I can't get the shadow and background exposure that I want.

I don't want to use a continuous light as it will literally melt my model :(

So..... any advice?

TIA

Hi,

I'm trying to take some portrait shots using strobe but I find it almost impossible to get a shallow depth of field. My D2X can sync at 1/320s so aperture is about F8~F/11 :confused:

I've tried attaching a cir-PL but that only brings down 2 stops. The strobe is already at low power setting and if I move it further away I can't get the shadow and background exposure that I want.

So..... any advice?

TIA

Use ND gels on the strobes or ND8x on the lens? ISO already at 100?

may i ask what strobe ur using?
Hi,

So..... any advice?

TIA

thanks guys! Was thinking along that direction but $$$$

indaybadiday: I'm using Elinchrom 500 :)

put many layers of cloth infront of strobe to reduce it?

my 2 cents worth

think ND filter on lens will be the safest bet already.

this, will cut down and diffuse the light at the same time, so which also alter the quality of light. Not a option which TS will want it.

bro,
care to enlightened me how more layers will reduce the quality of light? my tot is more layers more diffuse, more soft the light. TS want strong lighting?

what is quality of light?

bro,
care to enlightened me how more layers will reduce the quality of light? my tot is more layers more diffuse, more soft the light. TS want strong lighting?

what is quality of light?

the quality of light will change and that might not be what the TS is looking for

change as in more diffused

yes, TS want the shadow to be that way, if add diffuser, the shadow will be changed also.

using longer lens is also not a option, it may not able see the background as TS wanted to be in that way.

So either use ND filter on lens, or

ND gel on Elinchrom, or

get a less powerful Elinchrom.

yes, TS want the shadow to be that way, if add diffuser, the shadow will be changed also.

using longer lens is also not a option, it may not able see the background as TS wanted to be in that way.

So either use ND filter on lens, or

ND gel on Elinchrom, or

get a less powerful Elinchrom.

tot he wants shallow dof:dunno:

Thanks for putting your brain to hard work for my problems guys! :thumbsup: that's why I like this place.

I've decided to try the 8x ND filter. :)

As for the additional cloth covering the lights, I've tried that at first. The result is a more illuminated background with very soft shadow edge. I wanted a more contrast shadow and at the same time shallow DOF.

I've considered using a 300mm lens but I had to stand almost 15 meters away and due to space constraint back to square one.

Nonetheless, all of you are correct and the approaches are sound. It's my error for not putting a more complete picture.

Now the hard part is about to start... the actual shoot :sweat:

Kudos!

Thanks for putting your brain to hard work for my problems guys! :thumbsup: that's why I like this place.

I've decided to try the 8x ND filter. :)

As for the additional cloth covering the lights, I've tried that at first. The result is a more illuminated background with very soft shadow edge. I wanted a more contrast shadow and at the same time shallow DOF.

I've considered using a 300mm lens but I had to stand almost 15 meters away and due to space constraint back to square one.

Nonetheless, all of you are correct and the approaches are sound. It's my error for not putting a more complete picture.

Now the hard part is about to start... the actual shoot

Kudos!

surely can count on CSer particularly catchlights.

catchlights: UPssssss!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
others too:sweat:

I managed to shoot at F1.4 before using strobes. You'll need max ND on your lens, and also ND on your lights.

I never thought I would ever need ND filters until I started shooting with studio strobes.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.