Shall we ban...

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingoutsister

May 6, 2003
shall we ban comments like "very nice photos!"

it doesn't help anything or anyone with comments like that, except to serve the egos of the thread poster.

what can we all learn from comments like "very nice photos!"

and then the poster goes on and take similarly weak pictures, post and get "very nice photos!" all over again.

i'm sorry to be so harsh but some people here ought be given a rough shake.
wake up! wake up!

if you like it, share with us why you like it.

Why would you wanna ban someone who thinks your photos are nice?

Maybe not all comments are constructive... but dun you think seeing some little comments like that is better than having no comments at all? :what:

You could ignore mediocre shots and do not comment. ;) The poster of so called 'mediocre' photos will get the idea after a while. I do not see any need to impose a guideline for commenting as photography appreciation is highly subjective. Your good shots maybe are my bad ones. Who are we to judge?

everything is subjective.

thats why i said, share with us why you think it is a good shot.

that way, we will all learn something. maybe you saw something in the picture which others might have missed or interpreted otherwise.

read carefully before you reply.

Hahaha, subtle sacarsm at its best.

i see no need in using sacarsm to put my points across.

some people are being 'mr -nice and impartial, we are open to ideas-guy'

come on, if you think its bad, its bad. if its good, its good. tell us why.
if you stand in the middle, then everyone will get nowhere.

I am not speaking for everyone but I know quite a few photographers are not really good in critique. We like a shot but we do not really know how to articulate in words. It is the same with 'bad' shots. We do not like it but just cannot find the proper technical terms to describe it. You have to understand that quite a few of us here are not formally trained in photography and we lack the formal technical training that others have. It is very difficult for us to comment if we do not know how. How about you use some of your work to illustrate the critique process? I would love to learn from you if you are willing to teach. :)

This has got to be the best thread ever... :bsmiie:

Photography is all about producing images. There are 'photographers' who talk the talk but do not walk the walk. What is the point of talking about photography if you do not produce images? A not so subtle friend of mine from another forum commented that we should in fact encourage the posting of 'bad' photos as they are good contrast to the 'good' ones. We all need 'bad' photos to highlight our genius! ;p

IMHO, good photographers MUST be bad in writing. That's why they have to, and can use their photos to express their thoughts.

* togu is bad in writing.... :cry:

Voigtlander said:
A not so subtle friend of mine from another forum commented that we should in fact encourage the posting of 'bad' photos as they are good contrast to the 'good' ones. We all need 'bad' photos to highlight our genius! ;p

If I need someone's "bad" photos so that my photos will stand out, now that's ss...s...sad.

togu said:
IMHO, good photographers MUST be bad in writing. That's why they have to, and can use their photos to express their thoughts.

* togu is bad in writing.... :cry:
Is this where I go "WAH TOGU MAKE PRO COMMENT!!!"

:sticktong

No we should ban "Upz, Great seller, Great Deal, Great Value".

swingoutsister said:

If you stand in the middle, people will pass you by on your left and on your right and leaving you remaining where you are.

They will not, shall not, cannot, would not, should not and never stand hehind you and wait for you to move on.

swingoutsister said:
Wrong dude...

If u stand in the middle, u'll be hit by cars going left and right. ;)

Ultimately, I prefer people to criticise my photos instead of praising it. I derive my orgasmic pleasures frm ppl criticising my photos. :)

i think abit too extreme to ban 'comments'....not everbody can provide 'professional' comments, nor ask the newbies to shut up and not post.
It's like you don't like ants, and you wanna make sure ants go extreme on this planet. (hmm...bit off point...anyway...) :nono:

This afterall a forum free for all, interested in photography. If we go around banning things we don't like to see...i think the mods will be extremely busy. Hor? Tom?? haaaa. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.