Shall we ban...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya man as advice above i think you should spend your time on other endeavours. sure there are many other things for you to do rather than picking on something like this.

Kit said:
Not here to dampen your spirit but you couldn't have descriped the situation any better.

I've said this more than once, you are not the first and you definitely won't be the last. Heck, I was even like you. My advise, spend your time on other endeavours. However, nobody's going to stop you from trying.

i do thank you for your advise, and i will apply it this instance.

since you have experienced such threads many times before, may i suggest you 'just ignore it and move on', and spend your time on other endeavours than replying to this thread.

that aside, readers of this thread can either agree or disagree with my posts. but so far, no one has challenged this :bsmilie:

swingoutsister said:
i do thank you for your advise, and i will apply it this instance.

since you have experienced such threads many times before, may i suggest you 'just ignore it and move on', and spend your time on other endeavours than replying to this thread.

that aside, readers of this thread can either agree or disagree with my posts. but so far, no one has challenged this :bsmilie:

I guess is majority here would rather spend time on something else than dissecting the mentality of the general population of CS. Why? Its the same "been there done that too many times, its just old" thingy. Stick around longer........

ok, mr/miss/mrs/mdm lao jiao

(sorry its not meant to sound derogatory..its a hokkien word meaning literally 'old bird')

i'm sure the situation has always been like this for a long time. like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hi. I am not going to side anybody here. I can see where Swingoutsister is coming from, perhaps she is a little too enthusiastic about comments posted in this forum and probably wanted to know more and learn more from these comments.

I guess all she wants is a yes or a no from us. Yes, why yes? No, and why no?

Personally, I would not recommend to ban such comments. Some of us have already mentioned earlier that the usage of expressive language to correctly and confidently elaborate one's lure to the photo posted is difficult. Not all of us can do this, but we can definitely type something in here.

The purpose of these so called "unconstructive", "unhelpful" or even "boring" phrases, I believe, are words put together to give encouragement to the photographer that took the shot. I have seen comments like;

"Great shot!"
"Nice take"
"I like the colours"
"Her smile is very sweet"

Though these comments are short, they are still some form of encouragement to the photographer. The latter could be a newbie, could be a pro. Also, he/she could have a soft heart and might not be exposed to very harsh comments, should he/she meet one.

It is also one's perogative to comment or not to comment. Nobody can control anybody from saying anything or not saying nothing at all. They'll say what they want to say and keep mum to whatever they do not. This does not mean that they are reserved. I thought of a few reasons:

The person could be:

1. Unexpressive on words
2. Humble
3. Possess inadequate or insufficient on the knowledge genre to comment
4. Lazy to type
5. Nothing to comment
6. Don't know how to comment (be it good or bad)

It's all about free-will here.

I also notice that the thread comments are slowly beginning to take on personally. One thing I've learned throughout my working life is:

Always focus on the issue, not the people

The focus here is whether to ban or not to ban. Discuss it openly, politely and keep the peace. :)

dominator said:
ya man as advice above i think you should spend your time on other endeavours. sure there are many other things for you to do rather than picking on something like this.

Remember this is Sunday mah. 24 hours of free hours for us to spend.

Thank God that I've deligently applied myself to have produced 56 digital still shots in the last 48 hours insteading of trying to change the world. :sweatsm:

why instituitionalised the issue. why you need so much rules.

i thik they prefer a nice picture to no comment at all.

Interesting, if this banning goes through, I also got a few list like misuing the smileys, extensive discussion about sentosa, saying "nice thread" without explanation, etc.

Sion said:
Remember this is Sunday mah. 24 hours of free hours for us to spend.

Thank God that I've deligently applied myself to have produced 56 digital still shots in the last 48 hours insteading of trying to change the world. :sweatsm:

lets see those 56 shots which u took instead of trying to change the world.

lol, lest you misunderstand...

the purpose is purely out of curiousity..just want to see if they fit into any of these categories :bsmilie:

swingoutsister said:
lets see those 56 shots which u took instead of trying to change the world.

They are mainly commercial stock cliches which I don't think are the type of shots CSers like to look at. Some of the CSers probably might have seen the scraps I usually shoot.

I have a gallery somewhere here I think.

:bsmilie:

Dear Swingoutsister,

I have mentioned before in my earlier post regarding showing us how to critique a photo as many of us lack the technical knowledge to do so. Why not use some of your photos as educational material to show us the finer points of photography critique? It would be helpful too if the photographer being critqued knows the credential of the photographer doing the critique as nobody wants to be insulted by an half-assed photographer with mediocre work i.e It helps to show your work first by a link to an online gallery. Talking the talk and not walking the walk does not mean anything in photography. ;)

Regards,
Peter

swingoutsister said:
lol, lest you misunderstand...

the purpose is purely out of curiousity..just want to see if they fit into any of these categories :bsmilie:

Superficially that might be a wide swipe of a general picture.

You must remember that there are many who don't post photos or critiques. They don't bang the big gongs. But we know that they are doing something serious behind the scene. You must get to know the ones and see beyond the facade of Girls, Girls and more Girls.

Voigtlander said:
Dear Swingoutsister,

I have mentioned before in my earlier post regarding showing us how to critique a photo as many of us lack the technical knowledge to do so. Why not use some of your photos as educational material to show us the finer points of photography critique? It would be helpful too if the photographer being critqued knows the credential of the photographer doing the critique as nobody wants to be insulted by an half-assed photographer with mediocre work i.e It helps to show your work first by a link to an online gallery. Talking the talk and not walking the walk does not mean anything in photography. ;)

Regards,
Peter

do you know of many music reviewers or movie critiques who actually won the Grammys or Oscars?

nuff said about that.

and no, when i mean critique, i dont mean make fun or look down on other people's work. certainly not insulting! my my, u sure put words into other people's mouths.

swingoutsister said:
do you know of many music reviewers or movie critiques who actually won the Grammys or Oscars?

nuff said about that.

and no, when i mean critique, i dont mean make fun or look down on other people's work. certainly not insulting! my my, u sure put words into other people's mouths.

I am not putting words in your mouth! I cannot help if you are having PMS and getting sensitive during this period. I am a married man so I understand. I shall treat this thread as the bantering of a woman having PMS. Not to seriously! :bsmilie:

Sion said:
Superficially that might be a wide swipe of a general picture.

You must remember that there are many who don't post photos or critics. They don't bang the big gongs. But we know that they are doing something serious behind the scene. You must get to know the ones and see beyond the facade of Girls, Girls and more Girls.

exactly. if people here are just interested in posting 'nice shot' comments and be contented with that, people 'in the scene' won't be taking the forums too seriously.

nuff about that.

and besides, look carefully (Again).

i said "my impression of the general population of clubsnap (based on the posts and comments i've read in the forums)"

keywords being impression, general population, and based on posts n comments i've read in the forums.

i just didn't see the need to make the redundant disclaimer of "i know there are other people doing something serious behind the scene and don't bang the big gongs"

Status
Not open for further replies.