Shall i go for canon 500d/nikon D3100 as a dslr beginner user

Bluebee

Jan 9, 2011
Hi! I'm newbies here, thinking want to buy a DSLR camera for my new hobby due to budget I only can go for used DSLR camera. Currently I'm using nikon P7000 I like the camera feature very much. Shall I go for nikon D3100 or Canon 500D? Hope to seek your guy advise. Thanks!

There are more options if you look at the other brands as well (ie. Olympus, Sony, Panasonic, Pentax)
A camera like a 2nd hand Pentax Kx or Kr can offer better function/performance /value for the money.
2nd hand A33 will be pretty good too.

My few cents,
Between the two, I'd take the 500D just because it can use all current lenses. The D3100 you can only use lenses with built in AF motor.

Last edited:
Have you read the reviews of both cameras in the net?

If not... go and read.

If you have done so, then the next step would be to list down what you want in your camera,

1) Live view
2) Movie
3) step-by-step instruction
4) etc

Then you should go down to the shop and test them out to see which one you like.

Thanks! now going down to challenger to hands on it(^_^)

Hi! I'm newbies here, thinking want to buy a DSLR camera for my new hobby due to budget I only can go for used DSLR camera. Currently I'm using nikon P7000 I like the camera feature very much. Shall I go for nikon D3100 or Canon 500D? Hope to seek your guy advise. Thanks!

What is your budget bro? You can only hands on the 550D in shops. Don't think 500D is available liao :)

Thanks! now going down to challenger to hands on it(^_^)

Don't forget to also try Pentax and Sony. More bang for the buck.

Challenger will chop u into tiny pieces but unless u got the membership then different but still they will chop u into 2 pieces only ..

If you are comparing Nikon D3100 a year 2010 to a Canon 500D 2009 technology. It will be better for you to get the Nikon D3100.

You can see the link below for the comparison.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_500D-vs-Nikon_D3100

It will be better to compare D3100 with 550D instead. Both will be from the same year 2010.

To be precise, 500D belongs to entry level 2. Nikon's par lineup would be D5000 or the previous D60. From the way TS describe, I'm guessing u are deciding to buy a 2nd hand 500D or getting a new D3100 as their price are quite close.

My advice is, try both out. 500D is an old camera but still very capable. D3100 is the new lowest end nikon's DSLR. Both are great camera but 500D belongs to a slightly higher tier camera. TS needs to decide for urself which camera fits ur needs more.

Let us know your budget, and if you mind getting a good 2nd hand for learning purpose or not. It would be easier for us to advise then. I am using 500D, it's a good tool for me to learn alot of photography and now a good offer on 2nd hand is going for around $500.

So shall wait for your information on budget, etc before I give my 2 cents opinions.

gundamseed84 said:
Let us know your budget, and if you mind getting a good 2nd hand for learning purpose or not. It would be easier for us to advise then. I am using 500D, it's a good tool for me to learn alot of photography and now a good offer on 2nd hand is going for around $500.

So shall wait for your information on budget, etc before I give my 2 cents opinions.

My budget is around $600 with lens:)

canonmono said:
Challenger will chop u into tiny pieces but unless u got the membership then different but still they will chop u into 2 pieces only ..

Hahaha totally agreed. The price is much more higher :(

My budget is around $600 with lens:)

i believe with that budget you can get a good entry lvl cam..

like bns d3100 going for 600-650 if im not wrong depend on your luck also

luckyorange said:
i believe with that budget you can get a good entry lvl cam..

like bns d3100 going for 600-650 if im not wrong depend on your luck also

New DSLR 3100 cost me $ 820 w lens 18-55mm

As for me, I will buy a used 500D with kit lens 18-55mm from B&S at about $500 to try it out. From there I will get to know what I need for the next step. If I wish to upgrade, I will sell it at minimum lost & go for a better cam.

Just my 2 cents.