Shall I get Singapore citizenship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokia

Oct 2, 2005
Six month ago, I submitted my citizenship application, expecting bright future in Singapore.
Now the application is approved, but a sudden change happend on my marriage, will divorce with my wife ( Singapore PR) soon.

With a terrible mood, I am keeping ask myself: shall I get the citizen?
In terms of my future in Singapore, the answer is yes...
In terms of divorce, I might pay the maintenance for my wife and 5 year old kid, any difference for SPR and Singaporean?

Congrats on your new citizenship. Many yearn for it and you got it.

Sorry to hear about your demised marriage. But from what I'm hearing, i might be wrong, you are willing to give up your citizenship coz you do not want to pay or pay less maintenance for your ex-wife and kid?

If u got to pay maintenance to your wife and kid, I don't think being PR or Sg citizenship is going to make any difference. Why don't u check with your lawyer who is handling your divorce case. He is the best person to advise you.

Applying for a citizenship is a serious matter. You should have think about it very carefully before you decide to apply for it. Now that you got it you are willing to give it up just because of paying maintenance for your wife and kid? I think maintenance for your wife and kid is not something you can avoid. You did make the baby and you should have some resposibility for it. If you need to ask this question then I think your reason for applying for a Singapore citizenship is all wrong. I know of many people who will do anything to get a Singapore citizenship but have not been successfull. You seem to treat it like a 'yes no' question.

I know it is hard a time you are going through but have you tried marriage counseling? Sorry if I sound like a busybody :embrass:

Dont give up on your marriage and give up on your kid who has to grow up without a father or a different father!

All the best:)

ouch!
seriously.. what do you like about sg? it's a good place to work and earn some money but a bad place to retire in. I'm already planning where to migrate after my retirement and working towards it.

ouch!
seriously.. what do you like about sg? it's a good place to work and earn some money but a bad place to retire in. I'm already planning where to migrate after my retirement and working towards it.

Tibet:bsmilie: ?

Dear nokia, the question is not about applying for citizenship and paying the maintenance. The big question is about saving your marriage :bheart: ..... and not your money. In any divorce, the child is the one who will suffer. Seek help from marriage cousellors ASAP.

I'm very sorry to hear about your marriage problem. I hope it all works out.

I was told once you give up citizenship this time, you might not get it in future

Dear nokia,

its very sad when a marriage broke up and the child is the one sufferring the most. Visit any family court now and you will see what i mean. Its very depressing and sad...

I hope things will work out btw you and your wife.. try to save the marriage if possible. Think about your child and what's best for him/her. Think about what do you want... regarding the citizenship, is there any way to delaying it first? is there a deadline?

My best wishes to you and hope things will resolve...

can consider.. but was thinking more of Taiwan or Vancouver.

im thinking along the same line as you , work hard here and retire elsewhere :bsmilie:

back to topic.
nokia. just think about why you applied citizenship in the 1st place. many ppl tried & tried but couldnt get it, but you're leaving a country becos of alimony? i am sorry about your decision to get a divorce, but do think carefully again if singapore is a country which you want to work in for the next 5 - 10 yrs or so ? but i think you could consult a lawyer on this alimony issue. cheer up yah..

Dear nokia,

its very sad when a marriage broke up and the child is the one sufferring the most. Visit any family court now and you will see what i mean. Its very depressing and sad...

I hope things will work out btw you and your wife.. try to save the marriage if possible. Think about your child and what's best for him/her. Think about what do you want... regarding the citizenship, is there any way to delaying it first? is there a deadline?

My best wishes to you and hope things will resolve...

you hit the jackpot. the child suffers the most when a marriage breaks. not so much on the financial aspects, but rather the child would be affected mostly emotionally and mentally.

I was told once you give up citizenship this time, you might not get it in future
for PR it is this way. Once you give it up, unless you have a gigantic contribution to make to sg, you will never get it back again.

I see Nokia's line of thought as being representative of most foreign 'talent'.

They have no loyalty to the country, once problems occur, they are ready to hot foot it out of here.

We can keep encouraging these mercenaries to come and live in the country but once war breaks out, they'd be like rats leaving a sicking ship.

They are a scourge on the country. They take away jobs from the locals and send back the money to their countries of origin. They don't invest it back into this country.

I see Nokia's line of thought as being representative of most foreign 'talent'.

They have no loyalty to the country, once problems occur, they are ready to hot foot it out of here.

We can keep encouraging these mercenaries to come and live in the country but once war breaks out, they'd be like rats leaving a sicking ship.

They are a scourge on the country. They take away jobs from the locals and send back the money to their countries of origin. They don't invest it back into this country.

Hey, you are not helping .... cool it please.
Even if you are against foreign talents, this is not the time :thumbsd:

Status
Not open for further replies.