shaky hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixonchern

Dec 10, 2009
Yishun, Singapore
Hello,

I got my D90 quite some time ago. Each time i go out and take shots, most of my shots end up being blur. I always thought it was because my hands arent firm enough. Is there anyway i can improve on that?

Simple.

Just make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/60 and 1/(focal length x crop factor), whichever is faster.

If you are taking nightshot, use a tripod.

i dont quite understand the formula. the part on the 1/(focal length x crop factor).

i dont quite understand the formula. the part on the 1/(focal length x crop factor).

Examples:

If you are shooting a 50mm prime lens, your minimum shutter speed should be
1 / (50 * 1.5) = 1/75 s

If you are using a 55-200mm VR lens, zoomed to 150mm, your minimum shutter speed should be
1 / (150 * 1.5) = 1/225s (with VR turned off)

If you are using the 55-200mm VR lens, zoomed to 200mm, your min shutter speed should be
1 / (200 * 1.5) = 1/300s (with VR turned off)

With VR on, you will gain a 3 - 4 stop advantage so adjust the shutter speed accordingly.

the most obvious reason is shutter speed could nt match up to the one TS could hold long enuff for a steady shot.. It varies one to another, and it take practice.. try shooting at 1/50s and above and tk note of ur breathing..

Hello,

I got my D90 quite some time ago. Each time i go out and take shots, most of my shots end up being blur. I always thought it was because my hands arent firm enough. Is there anyway i can improve on that?

Do you have a sample pic? Maybe it's not handshake. Also, what conditions are you shooting in?

You can always try resting your elbow one something when you shoot. To shoot at higher shutter speed, you may need prime lenses so that you can shoot at f/2 or wider. You can also use higher iso too. The hardest thing to do is to give up coffee.

Welcome to CS :) Practice a stable stance (one leg forward & one leg behind, angle around 45deg, leaning slightly forward) Keep your arms close to your body (no chicken wings here) & practice your breathing. Use a tripod when necessary ;)

2009-12-18_223336.jpg

To simplify abit use 1/focal length will do. If using IS lens, can go 2 stop down.

Can anyone explain what do you mean by 2 stop down? i don't understand.

for example if i am using 18-55 IS, at 55mm, my min shutter speed can go lower than 1/(1.6*55) with IS turn on?

How the formula works then? :bigeyes:

Well, I've heard of a method where you tie some elastic bands to your belt and attach to your hands or camera, so when you hold it up the force between your hands pulling it up and the bands pulling it down balances it and reduces shakiness. Not sure if it will work for you.

Examples:

If you are shooting a 50mm prime lens, your minimum shutter speed should be
1 / (50 * 1.5) = 1/75 s

If you are using a 55-200mm VR lens, zoomed to 150mm, your minimum shutter speed should be
1 / (150 * 1.5) = 1/225s (with VR turned off)

If you are using the 55-200mm VR lens, zoomed to 200mm, your min shutter speed should be
1 / (200 * 1.5) = 1/300s (with VR turned off)

With VR on, you will gain a 3 - 4 stop advantage so adjust the shutter speed accordingly.

But as i usually use aperature pirority, the shutter speed is auto set.

I have gotten my D90 2 days ago and notice i have shaky hands. I tend not to zoom as much and rely mainly by moving my body, also try to find areas for support(chairs,tables etc). Do not press the shutter too heavily as well.

You do not need a tripod for testing, just place your camera on any stable areas and take shots can already even though restricted.

But as i usually use aperature pirority, the shutter speed is auto set.

in A mode, there are 2 things you can change to affect the shutter speed. if your metering shows that your shutter is not fast enough, you can either:

1. use a larger aperture, or
2. use a higher ISO

Which way to go depends on your requirements. If you want to keep the same DoF, you cannot touch the aperture, meaning you can only boost the ISO.

Well, I've heard of a method where you tie some elastic bands to your belt and attach to your hands or camera, so when you hold it up the force between your hands pulling it up and the bands pulling it down balances it and reduces shakiness. Not sure if it will work for you.

In theory that sounds like it can work. But it also sounds like it is really troublesome.

This is one grip method that works really well. However, it does work better with a battery grip installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk

Status
Not open for further replies.