Shake Reduction???

Status
Not open for further replies.

baolong

Apr 21, 2007
Hello,
Does anyone know how to test whether the shake reduction work for k100d? I try many test shots from 1/15s to 1s with the SR on and off hand held, the photos looks about the same.... cannot figure out whether the SR is always on or worst not working at all.....:eek:

Hello,
Does anyone know how to test whether the shake reduction work for k100d? I try many test shots from 1/15s to 1s with the SR on and off hand held, the photos looks about the same.... cannot figure out whether the SR is always on or worst not working at all.....:eek:

You can't really test SR at 1/15s without support unless your hand very steady. Up the ISO to maybe 400 or more, so that you get 1/60 or 1/30.

Hello,

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: DP Review and Imaging Resource have tested it for you!

If you're worried whether your copy of camera's SR doesn't work, the problem is that you won't be able to tell, you need more than one shot. SR improves your chances of getting a sharp shot without handshake at that range, it doesn't necessarily remove all handshake. You have to be steady as well! =)

I find SR is more effective for longer zoom lens.

Make sure you're using a longer zoom lens, then take some shots at 1/8s

oh, i forgot to mention that i sit on the floor with my hand elbows supported by my leg knees, this way i can hold it very steady using 200mm to try out the speed i mentioned.. all the shots are within a distance of 60cm... ultimately, i still find i get better shots with SR off.... hmmm.... strange

oh, i forgot to mention that i sit on the floor with my hand elbows supported by my leg knees, this way i can hold it very steady using 200mm to try out the speed i mentioned.. all the shots are within a distance of 60cm... ultimately, i still find i get better shots with SR off.... hmmm.... strange

:bsmilie: you might as well use a tripod... You don't use elbows floor support to test. Just take a shot as you normally would. If you really want to test SR, go macro. With SR I can try one hand on K10D with Tamron 90mm (1.4+kg). Without SR I die die must use 2 hands.

Here's what you can try, place a can of soda drink or anything with label on table. Take it normally with your 200mm with and without SR. View the label wordings in 100%. You should see the diff.

200mm focal length at a distance of 60cm, what lens is that? I'd like to have one ;)

To be honest, the SR on K100D doesn't work as well as it is on K10D. You can get 1 to 2 stops gain at most (by my own experience) w/ the K100D, and it seems not working at all for wide to normal angle lenses.

On the other hand, the SR on K10D is so much more effective. I can get good shots at a speed of 10/focal_length second (300mm at 1/30s, 100mm at 1/10s) :D

ok, will take more shots when my batteries are fully charge.....
maybe you guys are right, i read some review on the web site and it also mentioned that the k10d have a much better SR than k100d......;)
the 200mm is actually my Sigma 18-200 lens that's why it can focus so near, haahaa:)
maybe i should upgrade to k10d liao.......

Hello,

I am using Pentax A 35-105mm f3.5. Is there a standard focal length I can set so I need not reset the focal lenght on the SR everytime I adjust the zoom?

Thks

There is no rule for SR, it is only additional feature if you don't have a steady hand or using lens that are beyond 200mm.... just leave it on if you think you can get sharper pic...

There is no rule for SR, it is only additional feature if you don't have a steady hand or using lens that are beyond 200mm.... just leave it on if you think you can get sharper pic...

Not really true. The SR works based on the current focal length (to compensate the handshake). If you set it wrongly, the compensating value would be different, might end up with a blurrier pic even than w/o SR :)

It's not easy to set SR w/ a manual zoom lens because of this. Better fix at a certain focal range and set the SR value from there.

Hello,

Thanks for your advice. Looks like I would need to reset the focal length for the SR everytime I zoom.

oh sori, yours is a manual lens......

The last time I used my Zenitar fisheye i forgot to switch off the SR. No matter how steady my hands and how fast my shutter speed, all the shots came out blurry... Imagine how frustrating it was esp taking live bands.

Must shoot often and must know the equipment well.

hi guys,
how to post the photos that i taken with SR on and off?

hi guys,
how to post the photos that i taken with SR on and off?

Don't know what you mean. Did you mean you wanna post some photos here at the forum? If so, you need a web site where you can upload your photos first. Then link the photos over :)

Some good free photo website:
www.photobucket.com
www.flickr.com

Hi Fengwei,
Thanks, I have created an account, can advise how to link??

thanks guys
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.