Shadows

pengheng

Mar 23, 2011
Toh Tuck Road
1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition - like to hear alternate viewpoints because I find myself stuck to what I like which may not be the best.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Intended to capture the serenity of the morning sun as it caress the trees; melding the shadows of the trees with the trees' roots.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Saw the scene, whipped out my iPhone5 and just shoot, did a square crop and a little enhancement with the native features of the camera app.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
Over the years I've develop my eye to like certain compositions but I find that it got me stuck in a one track mind. So I am seeking alternate viewpoints to breakout from my usual composition.

Attachments

• $image-2825576080.jpg
    $image-2825576080.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 3
I'm familiar with this place along Margaret drive where radio control enthusiasts fly their
aircraft in this location where the demolished Queenstown prison used to stand.BTW Christopher Lee
the media corp actor served his sentence for drink driving there.

I too have appreciated the beauty of these old flame trees but never got round to shoot it
( couldn't see a suitable vantage point and the trees' shade poses a challenge).To the right is the church and left a road leading to what was then a golf driving range and now a plant nursery which is next to queenstown library.

What I can say is that you could have included the canopy of the trees.Shooting from a lower angle might look better.Of course the perspective changes.

crop away the top one thrid , remove the canopy of the trees, just leave the trunks and the ground.

it will simplified this photo and fit your title better.

Thanks one eye, is this what you mean ?

Attachments

• $image-2803576447.jpg
    $image-2803576447.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks catchlights ... Is this what you mean?

Attachments

• $image-2230660754.jpg
    $image-2230660754.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 3
Thanks catchlight ... That's something I'll need to ponder over. Thank you very much for sharing a different perspective.

Yeaps I think the cropped one is better cause the overexposed sky draws more attention than the shadows. But i believe try to frame your shot when you're shooting will improve your photography more compared to cropping after viewing photos :) just my 2cents.

Thanks one eye, is this what you mean ?

These are much younger trees, those beside the church ( to the right and probably block out much of the sky) have bigger canopies and sunlight through them is nice. :)

Last edited:
shooting into the sunlight is always a challenge without blowing out the highlights but it would be nice to capture some colour in the sky. the row of cars is a distraction which you may consider avoiding. try shooting the scene at different times of the day and experiment with different angles to work the scene more.
13125762473_bebf16b1e7_o.jpg

Thanks one eye for all the tips ... The location is not where you describe, and it's not convenient to tell you where because it is not a public compound ... Sorry