Shades of Grey

Wizan

Jul 22, 2013
Singapore
This shot is one of my favorites taken at Lorong Halus Wetlands on 31st July. A few lotus flowers were in bloom that morning and I had a chance to test out a newly acquired Canon EOS 7D with a 55-250 mm zoom lens briefly after a morning drizzle. Sky was slightly overcast.

Post processing include one f-stop offset to give contrast as to highlight the green lotus pads and sharp lines of the grasses that shot out from the water and cropping to only include a single lotus bloom with its shadow reflection on the water. I wanted to capture the reflection of the clouds that was passing above but not able to keep them in focus with the fairly large aperture without having the main subject out of focus. I wonder if this is taken with a smaller aperture diameter will help to keep all subjects in focus? Critiques are welcome in the spirit of self improvement for me in composition, techniques and expression of creativity.

It is one of my favs because it reminds me of a Chinese brush painting. A single lotus in bloom symbolizing hope in a world full of grey shades.

Camera settings: on AE with aperture set at f5.6, ISO200, Shutter1/400

Thank you for all your comments.

Last edited:

Achim Reh

Nov 1, 2011
I like the effect you created for the lotus bloom, it almost looks 3 dimensional , because of the sharp edges that separates it from the background

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
to many distracting elements, you have no focus on what subject you want to highlight.

FYI, the key of Chinese painting is simplicity, there is no redundant brush stroke.

Wizan

Jul 22, 2013
Singapore
Thanks all for your comments on the composition. Will remember the point on highlighting the main subject with less clutter or distractions. However I do remember a famous scientist once said,

"Out of clutter, find simplicity, from discard, find harmony, in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein

The quote from Albert Einstein does struck a cord in the image.

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
However I do remember a famous scientist once said,
"Out of clutter, find simplicity, from discard, find harmony, in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
Einstein was scientist, not artist. Two very different positions and mindsets.
Why is the lotus bloom up there in the corner? It's not even halfway along the Rule of Thirds lines. You can try to recompose by cropping, the leaves on the left don't add anything but distract the viewer.

edutilos-

Dec 28, 2010
The Universe
www.facebook.com
Thanks all for your comments on the composition. Will remember the point on highlighting the main subject with less clutter or distractions. However I do remember a famous scientist once said,

Good quote, but you have not found the simplicity here. It may be there, but it remains to be discovered. Composition is how you arrange the elements in a scene, it involves movement, perspective, active thought and sometimes, some work such as waiting for the right lighting.

Eikin has a lot of examples where he has found some form of organization in clutter (or if you will, scenes with many elements). I have appended these below for your perusal (and once again, it's always a pity that he doesn't post here anymore). You may wish to look through his pbase for additional inspiration/ideas. There are many other people who do it well, but everytime I think of "simplicity in clutter", eikin always comes to mind. Cheers and keep shooting!

http://www.pbase.com/eikin/image/76005781
http://www.pbase.com/eikin/image/109728232
http://www.pbase.com/eikin/image/149227523
http://www.pbase.com/eikin/image/110480299

Top Bottom