Shade WB problem on D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog

Feb 13, 2002
Alexandra
maddog.clubsnap.org
When I set to P mode, WB=Shade, I cannot take a picture of a yellow wall. Initially I thought the camera couldn't focus, so I pressed AF-lock button and took the shot. The shot turned out all black or very very under exposed. Why does this happen? When I set to other WB, no problems.

maddog said:
When I set to P mode, WB=Shade, I cannot take a picture of a yellow wall. Initially I thought the camera couldn't focus, so I pressed AF-lock button and took the shot. The shot turned out all black or very very under exposed. Why does this happen? When I set to other WB, no problems.

Try, EV +1 or so.

maddog said:
The shot turned out all black or very very under exposed. Why does this happen? When I set to other WB, no problems.

is it really underexposing (as in exposure is different in other WB)?

sorry for asking but...why do you want to take a picture of a yellow wall?

Picard said:
sorry for asking but...why do you want to take a picture of a yellow wall?

same reason for taking a pic of a green wall...

Green_Wall.jpg

in other words, i don't need a reason. since when did anyone need a reason for taking a particular picture.

Hey, I have a few unexplained wall pictures myself.

wall1.jpg

wall2.jpg

maddog said:

Can't focus on wall? Focusing system uses contrast. If is a blank wall or blank paper, there is no contrast for it to lock on.

Why don't U try on white wall 1st. At least that way you can figure how far off the WB is. Cloudy -3 seems to works for me in most situations. WB is not perfect, sometimes I get weird colors too.

If Cloudy -3 doesn't work you could always try using the custom WB.

When I 1st got my D70, besides BF problems, I had WB problems. No matter how I tried there was always a blue tint. Sent it in to Nikon for calibration and it was OK after that.

Enjoy your D70....:CHEERS:

capricorn said:
Can't focus on wall? Focusing system uses contrast. If is a blank wall or blank paper, there is no contrast for it to lock on.

Why don't U try on white wall 1st. At least that way you can figure how far off the WB is. Cloudy -3 seems to works for me in most situations. WB is not perfect, sometimes I get weird colors too.

If Cloudy -3 doesn't work you could always try using the custom WB.

When I 1st got my D70, besides BF problems, I had WB problems. No matter how I tried there was always a blue tint. Sent it in to Nikon for calibration and it was OK after that.

Enjoy your D70....:CHEERS:

yeah.. i'm not gonna be too concerned with this 'problem'. overall its a great camera... so what if i can't use a certain wb in a corner case situation.. no biggie...

Status
Not open for further replies.