Setup for taiwan trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkbonz

Dec 11, 2006
Singapore
I'll be going for a trip with my secondary school band as an alumni to taiwan next month. As this is my first trip overseas with my Dslr, I would like to hear more from seasoned travellers in CS about your setup.

This trip is an organized trip by a tour agency. Places to be visited includes the night markets, Pu Li (scenic location), Kaoh Siung, some theme park, memorials, and since its a band trip...music exchange with 2 local schools.

A few questions:

1. What to bring? I currently have a Nikon D80, 18-200VR, 50f1.8, SB600 which i intended to bring there. Should i bring the 50f1.8? How about tripod...advisable? I'm bringing a Lowepro CompuDay.

2. When you alight the tour bus for tours, do you bring everything out with you? If not based on my setup, which should i bring out. How about flash?... Cause i don't intend to bring the bulky lowerpro when i'm walking about.

3. What is the weather there like? Any tips on camera care (other than the obvious) specific to taiwan? I intend to wear a jacket and hide my camera inside when not shooting...good idea?

Ok...not exactly "a few questions..." Sorry...:bsmilie:

Pls advise!!!

My recommendations :
- bring the 18-200 as your walk ard lens.
- and bring the 50mm lens as well for low lighting shots
- I would definitely bring the tripod more for dimly lighted shots . For your case it would be good for group shots as well.

Different people have diff styles of shooting, some like to carry minimal some want to be more experimental. No qualms that you can of course get winning shots with either lens only but you will know what kind of shots you are willing to let go of.

As for flash, for my type of shooting I know i am not going to use much, but i will usually bring one along. Bad habit. I know of another CSer that has the same bad habit as well :bsmilie:

3. What is the weather there like? Any tips on camera care (other than the obvious) specific to taiwan? I intend to wear a jacket and hide my camera inside when not shooting...good idea?

Unless it is raining, i dun see why u need to hide it.
I do camera and lens maintenance at the end of everyday in my hotel room.

Peace
Ryan

The thing is the flash will be used for indoor group photos, maybe i should use the pouch (attached to my belt) before i get of the bus when i know dat we're going indoors.

For the tripod, not sure if i have the luxury to use it. Cause i'll be moving about quite often, don't think have the time to setup.

Anybody here shot at taipei's 101 tower before? Any comments or tips? I'll be trying to go there the night before flying home.

End of the year is going to be quite cool especially in Taipei, expect around 20-25 degs in the day, at night can drop below 20 deg or even 16 deg if it's raining. It will be mostly cloudy except on some rare days when the wind is blowing. Just a note, if it's raining in Taipei, you may not get a good view from 101, because the viewing gallery will be right in the clouds. Do prepare for some wet weather, if it rains in Taiwan during winter, it will last for days.

i'm in taipei right now. the weather is chilly. u may not get a good shot if u go up 101. btw u need to pay to use the top floor.

i'm in taipei right now. the weather is chilly. u may not get a good shot if u go up 101. btw u need to pay to use the top floor.

hi boredphuck
im going taiwan week after next
Whats the average temp there right now?

20-23. night time can be abit chilly. won't sweat at all if u go out in jeans n tee. later going out in bermudas see can survive or not. haha.

Oooo... seems likne many people heading out to Taiwan.

boredphuck u stay in Taipei or you are there just for holiday?

I'm heading there next month.

Suppose to bring my other half to Tai Chung, and Nantou He Huan mountain area for photography. Can advise if any public transport goes there?

Went to the top floor (outdoor) of 101 before and found that it was a waste of money because of the way the build the fence. The view was kind of obstructed.

If you are going to Taichung from Taipei, take a bus. It is convenient and comfortable and cheap. Have not been to the Nantou He Huan mountain area before.

Suppose to bring my other half to Tai Chung, and Nantou He Huan mountain area for photography. Can advise if any public transport goes there?

If you are going to Taichung from Taipei, take a bus. It is convenient and comfortable and cheap. Have not been to the Nantou He Huan mountain area before.

LOL yes. I will be taking United Highway Bus from the Airport to Taichung and hope to reach there by 7p.m. Learnt about these buses when I was in Taiwan in May. Kinda addicted to Taiwan after that.

I have not been to nantou hehuan area myself. It was recommended by my teacher. hehuan Li Shan is supposed to be snowing. The problem is... Cannot find any Nantou bus going up there. hehe. guess I will have to go there and ask the locals.

if you see yourself taking group photos of your friends and bandmates casually at night or some group shots, bring the sb600. tripod is definately a must i will say. 50mm, it's personal perference i guess. i use it mainly for lowlight shots, more to the astract side.

tripod and flash is a must since you will be capturing band in action if you would wish. then again consider this fact, just bring the 50mm.

1. What to bring? I currently have a Nikon D80, 18-200VR, 50f1.8, SB600 which i intended to bring there. Should i bring the 50f1.8? How about tripod...advisable? I'm bringing a Lowepro CompuDay.

2. When you alight the tour bus for tours, do you bring everything out with you? If not based on my setup, which should i bring out. How about flash?... Cause i don't intend to bring the bulky lowerpro when i'm walking about.

1) Bring all your gears stated here, 50 1.8 is very good to have, u will find it very useful when u visit the nite market or nite performance. SB-600 is good for some group shots.
2) I dun thk leaving anythg behind is a gd idea.
3) The weather is not extreme til u need to care about ur camera. Just enjoy shooting :bsmilie:

End of the year is going to be quite cool especially in Taipei, expect around 20-25 degs in the day, at night can drop below 20 deg or even 16 deg if it's raining. It will be mostly cloudy except on some rare days when the wind is blowing. Just a note, if it's raining in Taipei, you may not get a good view from 101, because the viewing gallery will be right in the clouds. Do prepare for some wet weather, if it rains in Taiwan during winter, it will last for days.

Oh...if it rains, I'll be sucking thumb big time!!! Cause we going Pu Li for the scenery...wasted if raining.

Yup, I know need to pay. A friend who visited there told me, i heard its around $10 Sing.

tripod and flash is a must since you will be capturing band in action if you would wish. then again consider this fact, just bring the 50mm.

Haha...the thing is...I'll be playing WITH the band. I can't be taking the pictures... If i bring tripod, it will mainly be for night shots which i can only take after the day tour ends on my own. I'm counting on my VRII on the 18-200 as a tripod "replacement"...if not bo bian must use ISO1600...

Do not leave your valuables on the tour bus. This is only common sense...

Thanks for the reminder! Maybe i'll leave just the 50mm in my compudaypack. I can't be lugging the whole bag wherever I go off the bus for some tour. Maybe I'll see how things go and I'll play by ear.

Yup, I know need to pay. A friend who visited there told me, i heard its around $10 Sing.

I think the last i went, it was pricier than that.

I'm counting on my VRII on the 18-200 as a tripod "replacement"...if not bo bian must use ISO1600...

There is no way VR can substitute a tripod.
At ISO 800 you can start to see some serious grains without any noise reduction manipulation PP. ISO 1600 is even much more excessive unless you are looking for shots that simulate some film grain effect ..

Ryan

Sigh...this isn't exactly a photography trip. Cause there will be band practices and concerts (I'm involved). So may not have the luxury of venturing out on my own for photography...

See if luggage can allow space for that, if can then i'll bring. I know VR cannot never replace tripod for long exposures, but I may have to maximise my equipment if need be.

Thks giantcanopy;)

im here for a holiday. just went to camera st. bought 2 lens and some other stuff for my friend. if u using canon then dun waste time. pentax users will like shopping here though. if u dun mind grey sets then its fine. 70-200 f/4 IS is 1500 only.

Hi boredphuck

How's the weather so far? I'll be there Dec 2nd to 8th. Hopefully good fair weather!

Status
Not open for further replies.