Setup for FZ7

Status
Not open for further replies.

headfonz

Apr 6, 2006
Hi again,

was wondering if any Lumixers would like to share your accessories / setup choices (bag, flash, wcon/tcon) for your Lumix FZ7 or FZ5?

another thing i would like to find out is if i could attach filters on the FZ7 (couldn't find any threads on the lens).
getting a FZ7 for my gf this weekend, so need some advise from you guys again :bsmilie: thanks!

my gear gallery : http://metallilan.atspace.com/Gear Album/

extracted from my portfolio site.

* Add-on lenses : Olympus Tcon17 & Wcon07, Raynox Dcr-250, Nikon 4T
* Filters : Hoya UV, HMC UV, CPL, STAR 6, R72, ND4
* Emoblitz DS328AZ Slave Flash w/Sofen Omnibounce & DIY Flash Items
* Akarui Flash Slave Sensor
* Metal, Flat & L Bracket
* 2 Spare Batteries
* Slik Sprint Pro Tripod w/ Giottos MH1002 Ballhead + MH652 Quick Release Plate
* Cleaning Kit
* Red Urban Equip Backpack

im hoping to save for another bag for my setup..prefably a mini trekker aw or sr d200.

metallilan said:

* 2 Spare Batteries
* Cleaning Kit

im hoping to save for another bag for my setup..prefably a mini trekker aw or sr d200.

fwah...nice gear :thumbsup:

how do you attach filters onto the FZ7 or FZ5? using an adaptor?

headfonz said:
fwah...nice gear :thumbsup:

how do you attach filters onto the FZ7 or FZ5? using an adaptor?

doesn't the Fz7 come with the lens adaptor?

metallilan said:
doesn't the Fz7 come with the lens adaptor?

oops, just checked, the adaptor is built into the lens hood.

not really. the adapter is a stand alone item that takes in 52mm accessories.
the hood is just one accessory included in the package. you can buy other accessories as long as they are 52mm diameter. that includes hoya lens, and nikon 4T close up lens for macro shots...

If you need wide angle lens , I strongly recommend the Olympus WCON series. They are 55mm , so you will need to buy a 52mm-to-55mm adapter ring.

cheers

metallilan said:

* 2 Spare Batteries
* Cleaning Kit

may i know what is the item under the slave flash for and what is it? :dunno:

airconvent said:
not really. the adapter is a stand alone item that takes in 52mm accessories.
the hood is just one accessory included in the package. you can buy other accessories as long as they are 52mm diameter. that includes hoya lens, and nikon 4T close up lens for macro shots...

If you need wide angle lens , I strongly recommend the Olympus WCON series. They are 55mm , so you will need to buy a 52mm-to-55mm adapter ring.

cheers

thanks airconvent, great info :bsmilie: . i've heard alot about the Olympus WCONs, but i was thinking of the Raynox WCON (0.66x) to use with my FZ30 and FZ7 (when i get it). Anyone using the Raynox's lens? any good?

here's something i was reading about filters:

"They are much bigger. They are made much bigger than the thread diameter to ensure no vignetting. In other words, the 77mm polarizer is maybe 90mm around. This way wide lenses can easily see around the mounting rings because those rings are made very big along with the filter's glass."

from http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

any opinions on that statement? if i were to share my 55mm filters with the FZ7, would the vignetting be less than the 52mm filters? thanks

headfonz said:
thanks airconvent, great info :bsmilie: . i've heard alot about the Olympus WCONs, but i was thinking of the Raynox WCON (0.66x) to use with my FZ30 and FZ7 (when i get it). Anyone using the Raynox's lens? any good?

here's something i was reading about filters:

"They are much bigger. They are made much bigger than the thread diameter to ensure no vignetting. In other words, the 77mm polarizer is maybe 90mm around. This way wide lenses can easily see around the mounting rings because those rings are made very big along with the filter's glass."

from http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

any opinions on that statement? if i were to share my 55mm filters with the FZ7, would the vignetting be less than the 52mm filters? thanks

not really, since its only 3mm bigger but you have to add a step up ring which will lengthen it causing vignett easier... but on the overrall since you are stepping up by 3mm it will still be about the same number of filter you need to stack on before seeing vignetting... but if you are able to stack to lets say the biggest 77mm, that will enable you to stack more filter than 55mm or 52mm. (at a greater cost as well) :sweatsm:

may i know what is the item under the slave flash for and what is it?

if you mean this "Akarui Flash Slave Sensor", it is simply a tool which will tigger the flash when the built in flash on your camera hit the sensor... i use it to make my sb600 become a slave flash for d50 (d50 can't act as commander flash)

ExplorerZ said:
not really, since its only 3mm bigger but you have to add a step up ring which will lengthen it causing vignett easier... but on the overrall since you are stepping up by 3mm it will still be about the same number of filter you need to stack on before seeing vignetting... but if you are able to stack to lets say the biggest 77mm, that will enable you to stack more filter than 55mm or 52mm. (at a greater cost as well) :sweatsm:
:bsmilie: thanks, guess i'll just get UV and CP filters and go slow with other filters :sweat:

ExplorerZ said:
if you mean this "Akarui Flash Slave Sensor", it is simply a tool which will tigger the flash when the built in flash on your camera hit the sensor... i use it to make my sb600 become a slave flash for d50 (d50 can't act as commander flash)

so why cant just use the onboard slave sensor on the flash? i thought it has one? :dunno:

headfonz said:
:bsmilie: thanks, guess i'll just get UV and CP filters and go slow with other filters :sweat:

try not to buy so much stuff unless you're not planning to go the dslr way. i have my own personal reasons why i don't plan to go dslr anytime from 1 to 3 years from now, thats why i expanded my fz5's capabalities by getting the extra stuff.

:)

the UV filter is dirt cheap but has no real effect that you can see. you merely screw it onto the hood adapter to protect the lens when in use. I used this config for some weeks before removing it. One, dust is not really an issue and two, I take very good care of my camera when on the move, so the filter not really needed unless you are taking photos along the sea and want to protect against splashes. otherwise it makes your camera more bulky when stowed although the adapter does make your camera look more like a dslr! :bsmilie:

CP cuts glare from sunlight reflected from the ground/lake towards you. in other uses I find all it does is make your image darker. after testing mine, it was un-used until I sold it off. they cost around $45-50, so think really hard that you need it before jumping in.

i think the first and most impt accessory is a camera bag...the lowepro XXXw series (with "w") is best as they come with a built-in rain cover.

if you intend to take alot of large family shots or scenery, the Olympus WCON is what you need. otherwise better not buy it. they are quite big in size. the cheaper ones are very much cheaper but you get clear distortion at the edges.

if you are very interested in taking small objects like insects, than the nikon 4T close up filter is a must. the hoya +4 lens cost $18 but image quality is not as good as the $50 4T. best combination is 2 x Nikon 4T as recommended by my friend. but if you just to to try out first, you can't beat the hoya +4 for value.

slave flashes detect your flash and then fire a very bright one, so that subjects further away are illuminated clearly. again, only if you have such needs. I find it downright irritating to attach a bulky flash to your camera. it defeats the purpose of getting a small x12 zoom compact in the first place...

just my 3 cents worth (inflation and gst included...heh heh)
cheers

i'm using super cheapo UV lenses to protect my lens :bsmilie: , advice from my dad years ago :angel: so i'll probably do the same for the FZ7..hahah

i'm getting a 2nd hand CP for my FZ30, so i'l probably share with the FZ7 for the moment. step-up ring much cheaper than getting 2 filters...

a friend of mine showed me a comparison of shots he'd taken with and without CP, the sky did seem "bluer", so i think no harm trying out the 2nd hand CP lah.

thanks for the many advices :thumbsup:

PhantomGTR said:
so why cant just use the onboard slave sensor on the flash? i thought it has one? :dunno:

u mean for my sb600? if that the case, i have already said, d50 does not have commander mode. for metallilan case, it becos the built in slave sensor gone a bit haywire

airconvent said:
the UV filter is dirt cheap but has no real effect that you can see. you merely screw it onto the hood adapter to protect the lens when in use. I used this config for some weeks before removing it. One, dust is not really an issue and two, I take very good care of my camera when on the move, so the filter not really needed unless you are taking photos along the sea and want to protect against splashes. otherwise it makes your camera more bulky when stowed although the adapter does make your camera look more like a dslr! :bsmilie:

CP cuts glare from sunlight reflected from the ground/lake towards you. in other uses I find all it does is make your image darker. after testing mine, it was un-used until I sold it off. they cost around $45-50, so think really hard that you need it before jumping in.

i think the first and most impt accessory is a camera bag...the lowepro XXXw series (with "w") is best as they come with a built-in rain cover.

if you intend to take alot of large family shots or scenery, the Olympus WCON is what you need. otherwise better not buy it. they are quite big in size. the cheaper ones are very much cheaper but you get clear distortion at the edges.

if you are very interested in taking small objects like insects, than the nikon 4T close up filter is a must. the hoya +4 lens cost $18 but image quality is not as good as the $50 4T. best combination is 2 x Nikon 4T as recommended by my friend. but if you just to to try out first, you can't beat the hoya +4 for value.

slave flashes detect your flash and then fire a very bright one, so that subjects further away are illuminated clearly. again, only if you have such needs. I find it downright irritating to attach a bulky flash to your camera. it defeats the purpose of getting a small x12 zoom compact in the first place...

just my 3 cents worth (inflation and gst included...heh heh)
cheers

UV filter also helps you to protect ur lens not from water alone, but also bump... you will nv know when ur lens will get into bump...

CPL filters anot not surpose to be put on forever, you only use it on the right time to achieve good result, else it will just make your pic slightly more saturated in colors but slow down your shutter speed.

for lowepro bag, those with raincover are named with "AW" not "W"... AW stands for All-Weather

if you are into macro i guess the best buy would be raynox dcr250... it cost about $100 but you get a total diopter much higher than 2 4T stack together (8 vs 2x 2.9). but if you are just playing for fun, hoya close up would be enough.

for slave flash, it would be good to get one as you wun know when you need the extra power (can be used as background lighting). further more you will need it for macro setup, as ur working distance very close when those macro filters are put on(built-in flash might be block by them).

Status
Not open for further replies.