Settings for phtographing quick moving objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinothan

Dec 31, 2007
Hi I'm a newbie here and would like to get some tips from the experts. I'm using an ixus 860is. i'd like to photograph my arowana in the fish tank. the fish moves pretty quick and i always get blur shots. may i know what settings i shd adopt to get better photos? shd i use high or low iso?

thank you in advance. :)

To freeze fast motion object like fish, you need to use fast shutter speed, thus high ISO is needed. Alternately, you can use a powerful external slave flash nikon flash, set to fast shutter speed and low ISO for better quality. Not easy to focus flash movement, suggest use manual focus or closeup filter to assist your focusing.

Hi I'm a newbie here and would like to get some tips from the experts. I'm using an ixus 860is. i'd like to photograph my arowana in the fish tank. the fish moves pretty quick and i always get blur shots. may i know what settings i shd adopt to get better photos? shd i use high or low iso?

u need a pair of good lightings to light up so u can freeze the motion..

To freeze fast motion object like fish, you need to use fast shutter speed, thus high ISO is needed. Alternately, you can use a powerful external slave flash nikon flash, set to fast shutter speed and low ISO for better quality. Not easy to focus flash movement, suggest use manual focus or closeup filter to assist your focusing.

He's using an ixus 860is, so using a Nikon slave flash, etc, will be hard. ;)

Your Ixus should have a sports mode in the shoot mode options. Try that. :)

if i am not wrong a slave flash will detect the built-in flash of the ixus 860is and trigger
and not CLS

btw for the TS beware of reflection on the fish tank
best to shoot with only the tank lighted

High shutter good lightings!

Don't blind your precious arowana with your flash.

if i am not wrong a slave flash will detect the built-in flash of the ixus 860is and trigger
and not CLS

Will it? Hmmm... But you'd still have a "double flash effect" unless you use foil or something to deflect the camera flash upwards, to avoid blinding the fish too.

thanks guys for your replies. yes there is a kids and pet mode on the cam but the fish is still very quick. i shd probably attempt higher iso settings with a tripod?

If your camera can shoot video, why don't you consider shooting a video instead. Most site can like to youtube these days and it's even more impactful.

Cheers,

thanks guys for your replies. yes there is a kids and pet mode on the cam but the fish is still very quick. i shd probably attempt higher iso settings with a tripod?

u wont need a tripod. u wont get handshake if u are shooting at such high speeds.
try setting to a high ISO setting and largest aperture (small f-number) to get the fastest possible shutter speed. (using aperture priority)

High ISO, Big Aperture and 1 hell of a shutter speed lol. Na your fish wont be tat fast so something like 1/200 should be enough

If you have a powerful light, den shine it thru the top of the fishtank?

i know how to set high iso but how do i set the aperture higher?

If I remember correctly, 860IS cant change aperture or shutter settings. Check your manual

He's using an ixus 860is, so using a Nikon slave flash, etc, will be hard. ;)
Nikon flash has a 'dumb' slave function that will work. Alternatively, less popular branded slave flashes are also available cheaply (<$100).

Will it? Hmmm... But you'd still have a "double flash effect" unless you use foil or something to deflect the camera flash upwards, to avoid blinding the fish too.

Fish has no eyelids for the simple reason that they do not need to block out light. They cannot be permanently blinded by the flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.