Settings for Group Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

glay78

Sep 28, 2005
Northeast
Hello I'm a D70s user...would like to know what setting to set when taking group picture of about 100 people. Using my kit lens to take. What aperture to set??

Also if I'm taking group picture of like 20people what aperture again to use??

:dunno:

probably around f8-11 @ 18mm... should have more than enough DOF to capture all faces sharp. but that would also mean the BG bokeh is a gone case... :bsmilie:

probably around f8-11 @ 18mm... should have more than enough DOF to capture all faces sharp. but that would also mean the BG bokeh is a gone case... :bsmilie:

Group pic will usually heck the background lah

Group pic will usually heck the background lah
you already say usually mah... there will always be some 'bokeh-siao' looking for bokeh even in group shots :bsmilie:

lol...thanks...and yeah group pic of course hack the BG lah...:p

the aperture to use is the one that gives you enough dof to cover the group of people

So any difference for 100 people and 20 people?? f8-11 enough to cover everyone?

4 god sake, dunno pls get some one else to do it.

i suppose you are shooting at the 18mm end of the zoom?
but normally f8 will do for 2 or 3 rows f5.6 also can

try it out and see, you are shooting digital right?

OK thanks...will use DOF preview to see b4 shooting
Yes using digital

4 god sake, dunno pls get some one else to do it.

Thanks for your comment...this is a newbie corner so I suppose this kinda question can be ask here rite?

Hello I'm a D70s user...would like to know what setting to set when taking group picture of about 100 people. Using my kit lens to take. What aperture to set??

Also if I'm taking group picture of like 20people what aperture again to use??

:dunno:

You can use Depth of Field Calculator to calculate the DOF. Normally f8 to f11 should have enough DOF if you use the widest focal length. Are you using a tripod ? You can take a few shots with different aperture values.

Thanks for your comment...this is a newbie corner so I suppose this kinda question can be ask here rite?

there are always idiots around.but do not let them deprive you of getting your answers.there are VERY helpful members here residing in CS.

read my thread on how to shoot banquet in this same folder and you know you're not the only one who meet idiots.:nono:

good luck.

You can use Depth of Field Calculator to calculate the DOF. Normally f8 to f11 should have enough DOF if you use the widest focal length. Are you using a tripod ? You can take a few shots with different aperture values.

Yes am using a tripod...thanks for the link !!! :thumbsup:

there are always idiots around.but do not let them deprive you of getting your answers.there are VERY helpful members here residing in CS.

read my thread on how to shoot banquet in this same folder and you know you're not the only one who meet idiots.:nono:

good luck.

Yes I saw ur thread and read too...actually wanted to tongpang in your thread but I think start my own is better. Yeah alot of helpful people here...I've learnt alot here.

Actually when I started this topic I expect to get comments like that but I jus dont understand how come some people expect everyone to be expert when they were once newbie too?? :dunno:

Yes I saw ur thread and read too...actually wanted to tongpang in your thread but I think start my own is better. Yeah alot of helpful people here...I've learnt alot here.

Actually when I started this topic I expect to get comments like that but I jus dont understand how come some people expect everyone to be expert when they were once newbie too?? :dunno:
Should always ask question, just need to do some homework first. In your case, its fine. You never learn if you always get experts to do it.

Take note of your line-up. With 100 people, you probably need some chairs/tables to get people, to squat, sit, 1/2 stand, stand, stand on table....Think of the set-up and do some test shot with the just the tables/chairs and with a friend as test subject.

Should always ask question, just need to do some homework first. In your case, its fine. You never learn if you always get experts to do it.

Take note of your line-up. With 100 people, you probably need some chairs/tables to get people, to squat, sit, 1/2 stand, stand, stand on table....Think of the set-up and do some test shot with the just the tables/chairs and with a friend as test subject.

Thanks again for your helpful reply..yes I normally read from books or website...jus that company needs my help to take some group picture tomorrow so my 1st thought was to ask here how to do it. Bcos I've yet to take group picture using dSLR before.

good luck.

at least a idiot don't screw up like a newbie, dunno learn from others, don take the job then ask for help, like pour kerosene on urself and set fire and shout fire fire help help.

and whos the idiot who dunno tis and that, and accept jobs that out of their range.

sometimes, its good to scold newbies, as my time, i need to assist for bloody 6 mths then can hold camera for shifu, dunno how come nowadys newbies attitude sucks. and it really sucks. dunno don't accept, killing urself.

Status
Not open for further replies.