Settings for FZ5 at a Autograph Session

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbiegrapher

Jun 18, 2005
westz
Gd morning guys.

Lets say a certain star has an autograph session going on at a place for eg, Junction 8, so wat settings (eg. the shutter speed, aperture, etc, etc) do u CSers normally use for FZ5 ? Assume that the time is around 4-6pm and there are quite alot of ppl.

Another question is , is it advisable to use Scene mode on this occasion and wat mode should i use if there are lots of ppl in front of me?

Hope u guys can clear my doubts and thanks for answering my simple questions.
Thanks.

I've nvr used scene mode b4, so not exactly sure what each scene does.

If you are far away (>5m), i suggest use shutter priority set to 1/60, ISO200, full zoom, stick your hands up above everyone else and snap away in hope of getting some good photos.. correct any underexposure later..
this helps to prevent camera shake to an extent. of course, i always use high speed burst mode, 5megapixel. can always crop later..

If v close, maybe use F2.8 - F4.5 aperture mode, ISO 100 or 200 depending which gives you a more reasonable shutter speed of less than 1/20 (i.e. 1/30, 1/40) high speed burst.. same idea as above..

Another superb setting: don't bathe for 3 days, go for a 2.4km run before the autograph session. then you'll have time and space to setup a tripod for all your shots.

Go there early and play with ur scene mode or ratehr test ur M mode.

Try f4, 1/60, depending on lighting situation, up ur ev. if its ok, good. need not to pump ur ISO up as noise will occur.

Just my 2 shutter click worth. hehe

unseen said:
Another superb setting: don't bathe for 3 days, go for a 2.4km run before the autograph session. then you'll have time and space to setup a tripod for all your shots.

Haha :bsmilie: Like that ppl will sure 'siam' u.

lol :cool: , thanks for the tips.
In this case, i will listen to u guys n try the settings given by u all.
ehh 2.4km tat 1 sounds great but i guess going there only spoil the scene .hahaha..

thanks for the tips...i had heaps of blur photos the last time, will try the settings the next time. the subject kept moving and i guess my shutter speed wasnt fast enough. with the subject that keeps moving, the camera has to keep refocusing and by the time the camera has refocused and take the pic, the subject has moved and i got a blur pic...how??

Also, is it better with or without flash? i found that most of the other ppl were using flash (auto cameras) and some of my photos had shadow behind the subject =(

1/60 sec shutter priority? Why 1/60? Panning huh?

I think it should be set at higher shutter speed if possible...else, you will probably end up with lots of blur panning shots. ;p

why 1/60? simple, our cam got OIS.. improves by 3 stops at least..
so 1/60 (0stop)= 1/120 (1stop)= 1/240 (2stops)= 1/480 (3stops)
given our hands are reasonably steady..

haha :)

don't think your D70 got it. poor thing. :p
better stick to high shutter speed.

anyway on a serious note, FZ cam higher ISO can't make it for me, so i at most shoot at ISO 200.. so i always use max shutter speed if i can under circumstances where u only need 1 part to be in focus..

unseen said:
why 1/60? simple, our cam got OIS.. improves by 3 stops at least..

not really, IS/VR can reduce the effect of handshaking (to a limited extend) but remember that you are NOT shooting a static object. using anything below 1/100 and you are likely to capture some motion-blur.

:think: so turning on OIS at 1/60 gives you equivalent of 1/480? :think:

hmmmmmmmmm thanks Wai.. i forgot about that.. :)
it doesn't give you as per say 1/480.

It's just that to shoot at full zoom, the formula for "acceptable" shutter speed is 1 / focal length.
means for FZ cams, by right 1 / 436 is the min shutter speed u need shooting at 436mm without noticable camera shake. however, OIS allows an improvement of up to 3 stops => 1/436 => 1/218 => 1/109 => 1/55. Thus if your hand is reasonably steady, you should be able to shoot at 1/55 without noticable camera shake. Only a guide though: I know of people who can shoot at 1/40 and still get sharp images. on the other hand, there ARE people who shoot and 1/100 and can produce blur images.

With respect to Wai's point:
If the session involves the star dancing and doing high speed manuvers, then 1/60 shutter speed will just reduce motion on the camera side, but MIGHT still have motion blurness due to the people moving.
However, as it goes, it's an autograph session. how fast would they move? I don't think there will be much movement of heads during autographing (if u aim anywhere else that i'm not sure).
From my past shoots, 1/60 produces sharp images even when they're singing or moving around.

So sorry for posting such a stupid misleading statement earlier.
Thanks Wai for pointing that out.

unseen said:
on the other hand, there ARE people who shoot and 1/100 and can produce blur images.

ya me me me, my pics turn out hazy no matter wat settings i use...

eh u should also consider tat u may have an overzealous fan screaming beside u, dancing all the way knockin into u every once in a while, makin all ur settings n watever IS useless...

i think it's not the eqiupment or environment.. it's the name..:sticktong
too much DVDs on a free DVD player creates hazy pictures.. ;p :bsmilie:

There no rule saying that 1/60 is a must. I merely giving an example. Of coz, no matter what, tripod is still the best. If your hand can hold at 1/60sec, good. For me I dun. Theres no obligation at all.

U can try up to 1/100 and test, as I say, give a test shot and play the setting.. hm... hot topic huh. hehe

yeah kinda hot topic here, :bsmilie: .

So conditions to be considered is the stability of hands? The more ur hand shake, means the shtuter should be higher? Range to try is from 1/40- 1/100 rite ? is tis recommended by u all?

anyway theres the zpop tis sat at suntec. If any of u guys go, do care to share the pics over here yeah?

I believe those who are marksman in NS shldn't be a problem at 1/60.
Fundamental is approx. the same.. :bsmilie:
Just need more practice.

haha tell u already.. the best strategy.. dun bathe... hope they clear up enough space to use a tripod.. :)

newbiegrapher => generally, the further you are, the faster the shutter speed.
if you can practically see their leg hair, maybe even 1/30 or 1/20 will work for u*..

*pending how crazy the people around you are..

1/100 is the safe mode. as I said earlier on, do a test shot then view if u got shaky motion blur or not. The result will only appear when u do the shot. All these are merely theory for u as a guideline, u can use it and tyr ur own way. Just let post up the shot u did and tell us the setting. I will be looking forward to it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.