Settings for Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

snemeis

Nov 17, 2004
Hi all

I have just purchased a electronic dry cabinet, as such I would like to know what is the recommended settings for it.

Thanks in advance. :)

45%-55% humidity for Camera :)

you may wanna do a salt test on the hygrometer to determine how off the reading is too. ;)

Hi

How to do a salt test? I assume is that put some salt in the dry cabinet and observed the readings?

So what shall the readings be?

Thanks in advance

It's very simple, basically you need a small bottle cap and a ziplock bag (or some container that's transparent so you can see through).

1) Put some salt into the bottle cap.
2) Dampen the salt with a few drops of water. Should be something like wet sand. Don't make salt water to drink hor. ;p
3) Place the bottle cap into the ziplock bag together with the hygrometer and seal it. Be sure to get a big enough bag/container. You wouldn't want the hygrometer to tio salt water.
4) Leave the setup alone for 8 hours. That's what I did... I've heard as little as 4 hours. But basically longer is fine cause the humdity stays that way once the air in the bag has set.
5) Reading on your hygrometer should be 75%. If it's not then adjust the reading to 75% immediately. Best if adjust with the hygrometer in the bag. If cannot adjust one then just offset the reading next time lor.

;)

Oh... forgot to add... I'm not sure if you can put the salt in the dry cabinet cause the air capacity inside is much larger. You can try though. But don't power on the cabinet else you'll never get correct readings. :bsmilie:

I also just bought a dry cabinet. Brand is Digi-Cabi. The English used in the Instructions guide is too chiem! :bigeyes: Shocking English they used. The point is, the dial in the cabinet has no number markings. I dunno where to set it to 50%RH. Just trial and error. Have to wait for the RH to come down. :confused: Any other way to set it? Where to set the knob to?

afbug said:
I also just bought a dry cabinet. Brand is Digi-Cabi. The English used in the Instructions guide is too chiem! :bigeyes: Shocking English they used. The point is, the dial in the cabinet has no number markings. I dunno where to set it to 50%RH. Just trial and error. Have to wait for the RH to come down. :confused: Any other way to set it? Where to set the knob to?

I'm also using the Digi-Cabi. Mine is the AD-040. My knob is usually around the 10 o'clock position. It gives me a reading of about 50%. Sometimes the readings fluctuate so I just open the door and adjust the knob by a bit. Just monitor your hygrometer reading from time to time and adjust if necessary.
Turning anti-clockwise would set the suction power to LO and vice versa. Do note that the green light gets dimmer as you go lower.

By the way, I have 3 compacts, 1 dSLR and a flash unit inside the cabinet. When the cabinet is empty, even a 9 o'clock position can go as low as 35+%.

Amekaze said:
I'm also using the Digi-Cabi. Mine is the AD-040. My knob is usually around the 10 o'clock position. It gives me a reading of about 50%. Sometimes the readings fluctuate so I just open the door and adjust the knob by a bit. Just monitor your hygrometer reading from time to time and adjust if necessary.
Turning anti-clockwise would set the suction power to LO and vice versa. Do note that the green light gets dimmer as you go lower.

By the way, I have 3 compacts, 1 dSLR and a flash unit inside the cabinet. When the cabinet is empty, even a 9 o'clock position can go as low as 35+%.

Cool! Thanks man. I set it to 2 o'clock. Waiting for it to reach 45-50 then lower the power. Thanks for the green light tip, hope my cheap one has this function too :) Mine is the smallest. Can stuff 2 compacts and a video cam plus accessories.

Hi guys. I supposed for the Digi-Cabi, the hygrometer mentioned is located at the top of the cabinet.

Has anyone tried using an independent hygro and take the reading at the bottom?

Was told that dry air floats. Anyone can comment on that?

helium said:
Hi guys. I supposed for the Digi-Cabi, the hygrometer mentioned is located at the top of the cabinet.

Has anyone tried using an independent hygro and take the reading at the bottom?

Was told that dry air floats. Anyone can comment on that?

I only know hot air rises and cold air sinks. Dunno bout dry air thou. But i suppose it rises? Dry air, less water particles, lighter, it rises. Wet air, more water particles, heavier, it sinks? Just a guess. :) But i think it doesn't really affect or makes a difference cos a dry cabinet is not too big.

Sure afbug, no problem. ;)
Hmmm... I think if you're worried about the reading at the top... just unscrew it and place it at the bottom?
Anywayz, I don't think it's much of a problem as the dehumidifier is supposed to be sucking the moisture out from the whole unit. :)

Hi,

I just bought one too.. Need to send the warranty card by 7 days but the problem is.. is there a serial number anot? Can't find it too... :confused:

my am pro one uses a digital hydro and thermometer....

i keep it slightly below 40 ...... says on the instruction tt under 40 it will prevent rusting
under 50 prevent fungus .....

temp ard 25 degrees...

Thanks to all Bro/Sis for the advice. :) For the serial no, I will call and check with DigiCab.

Thanks again and have a merry holidays...shoot more shoot more. :sweatsm:

Amekaze said:

Hi can check something with u? :)

I just bought the digi-cabi 20L...set the knob almost to position "A" somewhere at 10o'clock also..the green light abit dim liao ...it gave me ard 54% RH the past 2 days...does ur dry cabinet settled at a RH or will it just keep going lower?...say if for a month dun open will it go very low?

btw I just read somewhere in this forum tat by locking the cabinet u will be able to lower the RH somemore at ard 5%...just locked mine...dunoe will wk anot... :think:

Witness said:
my am pro one uses a digital hydro and thermometer....

i keep it slightly below 40 ...... says on the instruction tt under 40 it will prevent rusting
under 50 prevent fungus .....

temp ard 25 degrees...
Hmmm... some say 40-50%RH for camera/equipments. Some say 45-55%. :dunno: Well I try to keep mine around 47/48%RH. Be careful not to go too low. Too low not good for camera/equipments.

Regarding the serial no. for Digi-Cabi series... I didn't have one either. E-mailed the staff and she told me to just send the warranty card in. Mine was ordered through the website. To be sure just give them a call and ask lor. ;)

scramblur11 said:
Hi can check something with u?

I just bought the digi-cabi 20L...set the knob almost to position "A" somewhere at 10o'clock also..the green light abit dim liao ...it gave me ard 54% RH the past 2 days...does ur dry cabinet settled at a RH or will it just keep going lower?...say if for a month dun open will it go very low?

btw I just read somewhere in this forum tat by locking the cabinet u will be able to lower the RH somemore at ard 5%...just locked mine...dunoe will wk anot...
With the knob at that position, my reading settles at around 48%RH (with equipment inside... and my hygrometer reads 3% lesser.) but it does fluctuate a little at times. I've only owned my first dry cabinet for like 2-3 weeks so I'm not too sure about it too. I think it does go lower... but it does so like a snail. :bsmilie:

I think if you don't open the door for one month the reading is gonna be damn low... cause as long as that green light is lit (bright or dim), it means that the dehumidifier unit is sucking moisture out. Just HI or LO power that's all.

Not too sure about the locking part cause I don't lock my dry cabinet. Mine's unlocked cause I take out my camera regularly (once a week) and also I always monitor my readings and adjust when it's not to my preference.

Do remember to do the salt test too so you know by how much you need to offset your hygrometer's reading.

Hope that helps. :)

My cabinet is 2 days old. It takes about 24 hours to bring the RH down to 50%. :eek: Sloooowww......

The technology used is not intelligent enough. It can only control the power. (High/low) Cannot set it to maintain at 50% RH. The knob should control the RH level, while the power is auto. But buy liao, lan lan la. :bsmilie:

There is no serial no.

hi afbug, so you got the digicabi also?

i bought the 30L one.... less than a few hours of setting the know to C, the humidity was like 40%.....

now, my settling is about 8 oclock like that... and humidity maintained at about 46%... still a bit too low like that leh.... would prefer to see something like 50%.... hai.... know not very useful...

erictan8888 said:
hi afbug, so you got the digicabi also?

i bought the 30L one.... less than a few hours of setting the know to C, the humidity was like 40%.....

now, my settling is about 8 oclock like that... and humidity maintained at about 46%... still a bit too low like that leh.... would prefer to see something like 50%.... hai.... know not very useful...

Ya lor. My place under going renovation soon. So i figured a dry cabinet will protect my cam and video cam from all the dust, dirt and humidity. I have an old dry box but my video cam cannot fit inside. So bought a cabinet.

You put something with high moisture content like leather/paper in the cabi will cause the RH to reduce sloooowwly.

Amekaze said:
Hmmm... some say 40-50%RH for camera/equipments. Some say 45-55%. :dunno: Well I try to keep mine around 47/48%RH. Be careful not to go too low. Too low not good for camera/equipments.

Regarding the serial no. for Digi-Cabi series... I didn't have one either. E-mailed the staff and she told me to just send the warranty card in. Mine was ordered through the website. To be sure just give them a call and ask lor.

With the knob at that position, my reading settles at around 48%RH (with equipment inside... and my hygrometer reads 3% lesser.) but it does fluctuate a little at times. I've only owned my first dry cabinet for like 2-3 weeks so I'm not too sure about it too. I think it does go lower... but it does so like a snail.

I think if you don't open the door for one month the reading is gonna be damn low... cause as long as that green light is lit (bright or dim), it means that the dehumidifier unit is sucking moisture out. Just HI or LO power that's all.

Not too sure about the locking part cause I don't lock my dry cabinet. Mine's unlocked cause I take out my camera regularly (once a week) and also I always monitor my readings and adjust when it's not to my preference.

Do remember to do the salt test too so you know by how much you need to offset your hygrometer's reading.

Hope that helps. :)

I just check the RH after locking the cabinet for the whole day. Still at 53% leh..onli drop 1%... :bsmilie: ...btw dun tink I will lock it again coz the lock will scratch the inside of the cabinet leh...heart pain...haa

I nw doing the salt test...btw jus a pinch of salt will do liao rite?..I use those small mineral water's cap den put ard 1 tablespoon of salt in it den drop a few drops of water on it den leave inside the ziplock ....guess tml den I know the result liao... :)

btw anybody encounter any prob with the digi cabi...like whether the hydrometer is accurate anot...tink this hydrometer we cannot calibrate one rite?...

Status
Not open for further replies.