Settings for clubbing shots

axelris

Dec 16, 2008
Hi all,

I'm using a 5d2 with 580ex 2 and I'm wondering what you guys think is the best setting for for shots in a club.

Any pro / semi pro photographers for club scene willing to give some advice?

Cheers

No clubbing mode on the 5D2?
Jokes aside, I guess you refer to the settings when using flash, right? Getting long shutter times when using A mode? Have a look at the Canon Flash Bible and understand how Canon + Flash works. Also, you can tell us a bit more about what exactly you are shooting or hoping to achieve.

Every club has different lightings; I suggest you learn how to use exposure and understand your camera, then the settings will come to you naturally.

Err ... it also depends on what kind of shots you want to achieve.

Any samples?

Hi all,

I'm using a 5d2 with 580ex 2 and I'm wondering what you guys think is the best setting for for shots in a club.

Any pro / semi pro photographers for club scene willing to give some advice?

Cheers

best setting will be auto mode

hmm.. drag shutter for background and light up subjects + freeze motion with fill flash?

use 2nd-curtain flash sync.
Good luck. :)

hmm.. drag shutter for background and light up subjects + freeze motion with fill flash?

Hmm, if you drag the shutter around, especially in a gunky, stomped around, sweaty and congested environment, wouldn't the shutter get kinda wacked up? :)

Just sync to the strobe lights in the club, don't need flash.. :D

:nono: if use auto mode might as well bring PnS...

If you go shooting and don't know what you're doing and only bought a DSLR to "look cool", might as well just bring a PnS.

yes... no point bring a 5dm2 and end up taking lousy photos

and don't underestimate the AUTO mode on a good camera with a good lens...

Wow a 5D with external flash in a club, either you are paid to shoot an event, which my guess is most likely not, or you simply want to look extremely cool. Go with the advices here. Go auto. If you are desperate to be pretentiously pro, use the P mode or in this case i think its called AE. :bsmilie:

Wow a 5D with external flash in a club, either you are paid to shoot an event, which my guess is most likely not, or you simply want to look extremely cool. Go with the advices here. Go auto. If you are desperate to be pretentiously pro, use the P mode or in this case i think its called AE. :bsmilie:

Can not go in carrying a DSLR if you're not an official photographer or something leh.

Anyways, TS may want to search on flickr for ideas of what kind of shots can be achieved in a club.

Sufficiently slow shutter (around 1/30s in this case) with a wide angle might give some interesting images.

Don't have the privilege to try it out first hand to give any good suggestions though. :confused:

i'll do about 1/4, f5.6 iso800
but it all depends to the club's environment & the effects u want

Hmmmm i think shutterspeed should be at least 100 ... if you want sharp image

Hmmmm i think shutterspeed should be at least 100 ... if you want sharp image
this is call dragging the shutter speed, it will produce very good results in the hands of the right photographers.

i'll do about 1/4, f5.6 iso800
but it all depends to the club's environment & the effects u want