Settings for clubbing shots

Hmmmm i think shutterspeed should be at least 100 ... if you want sharp image

the subjects (most probably people in this case) will at least be still for that split second. 1/100 cant get u much ambience light in clubs & it wont show that ur shooting in clubs. thats wat i feel :)

Hmmmm i think shutterspeed should be at least 100 ... if you want sharp image

:nono:

The people (the only subjects that will be moving) will be "freezed" by the flash. The rest of the exposure (the flash doesn't even last for 1/100s) will not be enough to show any motion blur unless there is serious hand shake.

Of course, TS could even use 1/250s to find an exposure setting with his flash to produce an image that is "well exposed", but the photo will look more like it was taken at a budget home party than a club.

Can not go in carrying a DSLR if you're not an official photographer or something leh.

Anyways, TS may want to search on flickr for ideas of what kind of shots can be achieved in a club.

Sufficiently slow shutter (around 1/30s in this case) with a wide angle might give some interesting images.

Don't have the privilege to try it out first hand to give any good suggestions though. :confused:

Hmm i think you are right about it. Most clubs won't allow "professional" looking camera into their premises. Anyway hope t/s seriously have considered the advices given here and not post then disappear. :)

if photography for club, usually the manager will specify what kind of shots is wanted and what would be nice to have.

it is then our job to "create" the shots so that can earn the pay.

there is no fixed magic settings so best would be to observe/recce the club at least a day before the event to try out the various settings you can think off or shots that you might want to pull off.

Last edited:
Think on canon its the 2nd curtain for the flash as the shutter will open first to capture the background then the flash fires to freeze the subjects. Never really used 2nd curtain or rear sync on a nikon but its something i read about. So u could give it a try...

Wait, which clubs don't allow cameras? Can we bring our DSLRs into places like Lunar or St James? Asking because sometimes my frens ask for help in taking photos for birthday celebrations.

Hmm i think you are right about it. Most clubs won't allow "professional" looking camera into their premises. Anyway hope t/s seriously have considered the advices given here and not post then disappear. :)

Where is TS? He's somewhat missing from all these discussions.

Or maybe it is a fact that he's just trying to look cool with the giant DSLR. Haha.

Jokes aside, drag shutter, rear curtain sync flash Nikon and 2nd curtain for Canon, done.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm using a 5d2 with 580ex 2 and I'm wondering what you guys think is the best setting for for shots in a club.

Any pro / semi pro photographers for club scene willing to give some advice?

Cheers

5D Mark II will be having lots of trouble taking picture in a dark clubbing situation,
trust me, I've been doing it a lot :bsmilie: