Jun 16, 2006
Holland / Bukit Timah
Lens: Ef24/105mm f4/L IS USM

Can anyone provide me their settings for the following:

1. Sharpness
2. Contrast
3. Color Tone

Thanks.

Yea, thanks for all the input so far. Any other opinions or can anyone just provide their settings and explain why they had set it this way.

Thanks again!

I leave all mine on 0 and then adjust on a per photo basis depending on the output I want to achieve.

I find that usually you have more control in photoshop, so it's better not to adjust anything in-camera and process it later in photoshop for more fine-tuned control. If you want speed, it's better to use photoshop actions rather than in-camera processing.

as others have said, shoot RAW, leave it to post processing. leave camera settings standard.

If you shoot RAW then the camera settings are irrelevant anyway.

cyber_m0nkey said:
If you shoot RAW then the camera settings are irrelevant anyway.

Not true. Whatever you set for JPEG will apply, it will become the settings when you about to convert the raw. That's for DPP, but CS2 and others I'm not sure.

jdredd said:
as others have said, shoot RAW, leave it to post processing. leave camera settings standard.

If you have to process every photo that will be very tiring. For event, wedding, most photographer have already set all the parameters so when they want to post process they don't have to go and tweak the settings for every file.

In 1D series you can modify a lot of things, its convenient for you when you face different situation. YOu can load your personal function that apply for Event, Nature, etc without remembering to set it everything you have different situation.

The PDF i mentioned above will give you a lot of information about this.

sonix said:
If you have to process every photo that will be very tiring. For event, wedding, most photographer have already set all the parameters so when they want to post process they don't have to go and tweak the settings for every file.

In 1D series you can modify a lot of things, its convenient for you when you face different situation. YOu can load your personal function that apply for Event, Nature, etc without remembering to set it everything you have different situation.

The PDF i mentioned above will give you a lot of information about this.

Lets see what the manual says...

EOS-1 class digital SLRs have additional image quality settings including sharpness,
contrast, saturation and color tone, which can be applied to all images. In the case of
RAW files, these settings can be overridden in post-processing. However, it is very
important to understand that sharpness settings in particular can have a significant
effect on the appearance of in-camera JPEGs, i.e., images that are shot as JPEGs in the
camera as opposed to RAW files that have been converted to JPEGs in your computer.
Before getting into a detailed discussion of sharpening in-camera or on a computer, it’s
important to realize that pictures taken on overcast days or taken indoors with only
natural light look softer than pictures taken on sunny days or indoors with direct flash.
Why? Because overcast day/indoor natural light pictures have less contrast than the
sunny day/direct flash pictures, and pictures with less contrast look softer than
pictures with more contrast. Knowing that, the contrast of a somewhat softer image can
be boosted in-camera or in an image-editing program, giving the appearance of a
sharper picture.

Look, if you are shooting JPEG, then in my opinion, by all means go ahead and adjust in camera. but as i said, if you shoot raw, then its just easier to do it PP. and whats so complicated about adjusting PP? if you have adobe bridge , basic settings are all adjusted automatically and the options are just a couple of sliders...

i also dont recall the thread starter saying anything about doing events/ weddings. he was just asking what settings people use. and im sorry, but if any wedding/ event photographer said to me, oh, i dont have the time to adjust contrast, saturation and sharpness to get the most out of every picture, well, lets just say i wont personally hire them..

Thats fine Jdredd :) No offense

I always shoot RAW. Its not complicated to adjusting PP but time is money :)

Of course if you want to edit every photo, no problem. its a plus point, but i do not. I get everything right then later less PP, so save time and time to deliver also faster.

Its a preference really.. no one is right or wrong

sonix said:
Thats fine Jdredd :) No offense

I always shoot RAW. Its not complicated to adjusting PP but time is money :)

Of course if you want to edit every photo, no problem. its a plus point, but i do not. I get everything right then later less PP, so save time and time to deliver also faster.

Its a preference really.. no one is right or wrong

keke...kena hammer by newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.