Setting up softbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonlaser

Nov 22, 2005
Hello...

I have troubles setting up softboxes, always fail to insert all the metal rods. Must use a lot of force is it?

Can anyone here give me some tips to set it up fast and correctly? If have pics, lagi best!

Cheers...

ortega said:
must bend the rods to go in

Yah... I bend really hard loh... very afraid that I will tear the softbox!

Just curious, how much time you take to set up a square softbox?

catchlights said:
Where is the instruction sheet?
What the brand and model of this softbox?

Ha, there is no instruction sheet. The brand is Jinbei. It comes with 4 long matal rods where you have to insert into the attachment which is to be attach to the strobe.

Have not use Jinbei before, but heard is same mount as Bowns.

Have you change car tyres before? You need to fasten the nuts in diagonally, softbox also the same, fix the 2 rods diagonally first, if there is a making of the hole of the adopts ring, that one should be the last one to go in.

catchlights said:

Have you change car tyres before? You need to fasten the nuts in diagonally, softbox also the same, fix the 2 rods diagonally first, if there is a making of the hole of the adopts ring, that one should be the last one to go in.

Thanks! Will try that later...

Also, how much time you usually take to set one up? Becos, I think I will take very very long.

canonlaser said:
Thanks! Will try that later...

Also, how much time you usually take to set one up? Becos, I think I will take very very long.
hard to say lar,
small size 5~10 mins. large one 6' is about 30mins.

catchlights said:
hard to say lar,
small size 5~10 mins. large one 6' is about 30mins.

I think I will take more than 5-10 mins man...

Ha... I can't believe spending 30mins on a softbox man... Thats really time consuming!

When softboxes are new, it takes an especially long time to set up. When its older and more broken it, it will get easier.

THe bigger it is, the harder it is. And when I first set up my new softboxes, I had to use a rather substantial measure of force to push the rods in - you won't tear the softbox as the force is made towards the mounting ring and not towards the fabric - ie you insert the rods into the fabric part first, then into the metal ring.

Catchlight's diagonal mounting tip is used my many people, including myself.

catchlights said:

yeap diagonally 1st...

anyway my step normally like tis... list the equipment 1st... hehe

1x white front diffuser
1x internal reflector cover
1x frame
4x metal rod

optional, gobo, etc... not going into that...

1st place 2 rods on the frame, diagonally,

insert 1 of the rod into 1 of the corner of the white front diffuser, remember not to poke on the diffuser instead... there is a pocket for it.

bend the other rod, and slide in the other rod into the white diffuser

put in the other 2 rods

place the reflector cover over the frame & velcro the white diffuser to the cover.

viola...

vince123123 said:
When softboxes are new, it takes an especially long time to set up. When its older and more broken it, it will get easier.

THe bigger it is, the harder it is. And when I first set up my new softboxes, I had to use a rather substantial measure of force to push the rods in - you won't tear the softbox as the force is made towards the mounting ring and not towards the fabric - ie you insert the rods into the fabric part first, then into the metal ring.

Catchlight's diagonal mounting tip is used my many people, including myself.

Thanks, this is really helpful! Think I will use pure brute force on my softbox liao...Haha.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
yeap diagonally 1st...

anyway my step normally like tis... list the equipment 1st... hehe

1x white front diffuser
1x internal reflector cover
1x frame
4x metal rod

optional, gobo, etc... not going into that...

1st place 2 rods on the frame, diagonally,

insert 1 of the rod into 1 of the corner of the white front diffuser, remember not to poke on the diffuser instead... there is a pocket for it.

bend the other rod, and slide in the other rod into the white diffuser

put in the other 2 rods

place the reflector cover over the frame & velcro the white diffuser to the cover.

viola...

Yo Del, you made it sounds so easy... Think I have to practise more and more to be efficient. Thanks for your tips!

Anyone else has any innovative methods to add??

canonlaser said:
Yo Del, you made it sounds so easy... Think I have to practise more and more to be efficient. Thanks for your tips!

actually the hard 1 is the rod... u should bend the rod few times to make it 'bendable'... using it to cane somebody is a good idea... :bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
actually the hard 1 is the rod... u should bend the rod few times to make it 'bendable'... using it to cane somebody is a good idea... :bsmilie:

u like to try? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

wah you guys must be using hard-ass rods.
I'm using photoflex which has quick release straps at the ends of the softboxes which really help speed things up. takes me about 5 mins,tops. 4 ft type

I once bought a chimera softbox. took me 2 days to set it up.
yup!2 days.haha.

canonlaser said:
Anyone else has any innovative methods to add??
Get the inflatable 1s.
Just blow up the whole thing can liao.
No need use so much force.

mattlock said:
wah you guys must be using hard-ass rods.
I'm using photoflex which has quick release straps at the ends of the softboxes which really help speed things up. takes me about 5 mins,tops. 4 ft type

I once bought a chimera softbox. took me 2 days to set it up.
yup!2 days.haha.

Hi Mattlock, how much you purchase your photoflex? From CP?

Ha... 2 days to set up a softbox is indeed a killer! Hope you don't dismantle it after that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.