Setting up a photography booth for valentine's day

Status
Not open for further replies.

vector1

Feb 3, 2007
Hi everyone!

I'm a student in JC1, and my CCA, the photographic club is considering setting up a booth on 14th Feb to complement the school's games & activities for valentine's day. The rough outline is to collect orders, take photos, print photos, distribute photos. I realize that selling plain photos are not enough to attract the students, so I'm brainstorming for creative ideas to "add-value" to our photos, any suggestions appreciated!

I'm a complete beginner at this, as I have never planned this sort of event before, so I hope everyone will bear with my questions and help review my rough draft.

I have a canon 20d, with canon lenses 14-40 F4L, 24-70 F2.8L and 70-200 F2.8L IS. I also own 2 elinchrom flash units, a canon 580EX speedlite, a tripod with ballhead, a grey backdrop with stand, light meter, and a canon selphy 730 printer.

My JC also has more canon Dslr cameras with lenses, some portable flashes, and great people who love photography!

a) Taking Orders

My plan is to publicize my booth before the event, and take advance orders for photos using forms so I can allocate timeslots for the phototaking on the 14th. Or is it better to take orders on the day itself, then immediately take the shot? Which will be more welcomed?

Other services I was thinking of providing are Emailing of original photos to buyer (for a fee of course!) any suggestions for this area? What about larger sizes which I could send for developing at a outside lab, but take a longer time?

b) taking photos

Photos could be taken around the school compound, at various "romantic" locations, but I'm not sure how I could coordinate the transfer of the files to the printing group for editing and printing. Any suggestions?

Also, I need ideas on how to actually take the shots. I plan to bring some basic stuff for people, like combs, hand mirrors etc, but is it a good idea to bring more clothes like jackets of different designs, props like roses for people to hold as we take the shot, hair bands/clips for girls? Give me ideas PLEASE! Should this be a extra cost to be added in?

Furthermore, what poses are appropriate for 2 people? or for a larger group?

c) printing photos

The most important part. I only have one canon selphy, and that would not be able to deal with the number of pictures i need in a limited time. I am considering what to do about this. I might be able to persuade my teacher to buy a canon ES1 for the club, and use it for the event, or should I try to find a external vendor to rent printers from, or simply come and do the printing for us on the spot?

Could I get some suggestions for the style of presenting the photos? I have thought about creating a template (paper holder for the 4R photo) with different designs, and providing markers for people to customize it themselves. Anyone knows where I can find quality templates like that?

d) Distributing photos

A troublesome part would be to organize everyone so that the printers are not left idle for a long time, so as to maximize our resources. How should I coordinate the photographers with the printing group? Maybe rotating CF cards after 5-10 shots between the groups?

e) Misc stuff

What about prices? How much profit is reasonable, because we're donating profits to my school.

Is it a good idea to offer some simple designs for couples? Like asking them to pose facing each other, then pretending to kiss, and we photoshop some hearts around the photo

Are package deals good to be included? Like 3 couples get 25% off or something along those lines

How should I price the photos? by shot or by counting the number of people in the photo?

Conclusion

I may have missed out on some vitally important thing for event photography, so if you see anything that I should consider, please post it on the forums.

Thanks to everyone who will help me in advance.

Hi everyone!

I'm a student in JC1, and my CCA, the photographic club is considering setting up a booth on 14th Feb to complement the school's games & activities for valentine's day. The rough outline is to collect orders, take photos, print photos, distribute photos. I realize that selling plain photos are not enough to attract the students, so I'm brainstorming for creative ideas to "add-value" to our photos, any suggestions appreciated!

I'm a complete beginner at this, as I have never planned this sort of event before, so I hope everyone will bear with my questions and help review my rough draft.

I have a canon 20d, with canon lenses 14-40 F4L, 24-70 F2.8L and 70-200 F2.8L IS. I also own 2 elinchrom flash units, a canon 580EX speedlite, a tripod with ballhead, a grey backdrop with stand, light meter, and a canon selphy 730 printer.

My JC also has more canon Dslr cameras with lenses, some portable flashes, and great people who love photography!

a) Taking Orders

My plan is to publicize my booth before the event, and take advance orders for photos using forms so I can allocate timeslots for the phototaking on the 14th. Or is it better to take orders on the day itself, then immediately take the shot? Which will be more welcomed?

Other services I was thinking of providing are Emailing of original photos to buyer (for a fee of course!) any suggestions for this area? What about larger sizes which I could send for developing at a outside lab, but take a longer time?

b) taking photos

Photos could be taken around the school compound, at various "romantic" locations, but I'm not sure how I could coordinate the transfer of the files to the printing group for editing and printing. Any suggestions?

Also, I need ideas on how to actually take the shots. I plan to bring some basic stuff for people, like combs, hand mirrors etc, but is it a good idea to bring more clothes like jackets of different designs, props like roses for people to hold as we take the shot, hair bands/clips for girls? Give me ideas PLEASE! Should this be a extra cost to be added in?

c) printing photos

The most important part. I only have one canon selphy, and that would not be able to deal with the number of pictures i need in a limited time. I am considering what to do about this. I might be able to persuade my teacher to buy a canon ES1 for the club, and use it for the event, or should I try to find a external vendor to rent printers from, or simply come and do the printing for us on the spot?

Could I get some suggestions for the style of presenting the photos? I have thought about creating a template (paper holder for the 4R photo) with different designs, and providing markers for people to customize it themselves. Anyone knows where I can find quality templates like that?

d) Distributing photos

A troublesome part would be to organize everyone so that the printers are not left idle for a long time, so as to maximize our resources. How should I coordinate the photographers with the printing group? Maybe rotating CF cards after 5-10 shots between the groups?

e) Misc stuff

What about prices? How much profit is reasonable, because we're donating profits to my school.

Is it a good idea to offer some simple designs for couples? Like asking them to pose facing each other, then pretending to kiss, and we photoshop some hearts around the photo

Are package deals good to be included? Like 3 couples get 25% off or something along those lines

How should I price the photos? by shot or by counting the number of people in the photo?

Conclusion

I may have missed out on some vitally important thing for event photography, so if you see anything that I should consider, please post it on the forums.

Hi there,
you should have plan all this eariler now then you start planning. feel funny leh ;)

Just my opinion. If you are asking all these questions then perhaps you should get a photographer and work with him. He may be able to share some ideas with you. The reason I recommend this is because you are asking questions about everything from photo taking, poses, printing and distribution.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, I did say I'm a complete beginner at this, so bear with me and give me advice! Please give more specific advice as well, it's very well to ask me to find a photographer, but it's hard for me to know who is a good photographer for stuff like that.

just use canon selphy 730 printer print on the spot, btw you need 2 to 3 printers, else don't think you can make money

a) Taking Orders

pay money first, only print one size,
want soft copy? collect money first, than email to them.

b) taking photos

siao! why run around? set up a backdrop, let them came to you,
you can sell rose also, sell hair bands/ clips,

what pose? don't know? check out the teen magazine lar,

c) printing photos

templates? DIY lar

d) Distributing photos

do a test run lor,

siao! why run around? set up a backdrop, let them come to you,
you can sell rose also, sell hair bands/ clips,

what pose? don't know? check out the teen magazine lar,

uncle - join ventured ah :bsmilie:

e) Misc stuff

Conclusion

any price also expensive one lar,

i know some of the guys will come do a group of 20 pax, than buy one photos, go back scan and print own self to give to the rest of 19 persons.

you are lucky to have a school that is so into photography. mine is not.

JC students are rich. but most people won't appreciate your efforts. i have been through that and got some rather bad experience over it.

well unless your school is very enthu and stuff and dun mind forking out money to pay for the services.

you will definitely need to consider at least 4 selphy printers and at least 2 workstations to handle the photos. with at least 6 to 7 assistants. one shooting. 2 editing, one manning print station and at least 3 doing the sales part. like collecting names and stuff should they need to wait for the photos.

i suggest only set up your booth somewhere and shoot. no point doing "outdoor" shoots as it will be difficult to coordinate the CF cards and things.

you can just use your 24-70. it is more than enough since you have backdrop and studio lights. can shoot at ISO 100 also very nice.

i have sort of handled this kind of school event photography before so if you want more insights can always PM me :D

I think that it is good effort.
Timing may be tight but consider this as a good Challenge.
Talk to your school student committee. They may want to chip in (show teachers that they are working too), for free manpower.
Go for it....

Hi everyone!

Wah... you are a rich man. :eek:

You own more photographic equipment than I ever had during my JC years.

As a working professional, I own JinBei and Bowen strobes only. You have Elinchroms!!!!

JC kids these days are unbelieveablely wealthy.

By the way, PM me if you need help. I used to work as a school photographer before going into commercial.

It's not that I'm wealthy, it's just that I have a great family that supports my hobby. I'm not trying to create trouble or anything, but times change. People now are much better off than in the past. Live with it!

I'm really just looking for ways to maximize the use of my Dslr, I would appreciate if you all help, not just comment on the fact that I have good kit.

I would say good effort in planning to use photography to raise funds during velantine's day.

a. I don't think it is attractive for you to place advanced orders before the actual event unless you have something interesting to offer, like 20% off for buying for "coupons" to be used on actual day. And yes, you definitely need lots of publicity before and on actual day - flyers, loud music, people to pull people etc. Softcopy could be purchased at a higher price.

b. It would be good if you could centralise a location for your shoot with a suitable backdrop of course. If not, your photographer would be very siong. You also do not want to have trouble over choosy customers. Therefore you may want to start soucing some interesting backdrop, or even costume if you could borrow from say drama clubs whatever.

c. One selphy printer might not be sufficient. If you really cannot bring in more, (you should just in case one breaks down) one method is to give queue number and get your customers to collect say 15 mintues later etc. You should issue them a ticket if possible.

On my own personal opinion, if you have good backdrop, I wouldn't mind paying say $2 to $5 for a nice picture. Hey I think I paid $10 to have a pose with a chimpanzee in Al Farmosa. For additional prints, you could charge cheaper especially if you have group photos.

Pricing should be charged per shot, not per head. You really need to gather your people and planned hard, especially on the creative part. One thing for sure, it is hard work, and maybe for only some little gain. Question is are you guys ready for such hardship?

A value-added service is to have a graphic editer to make adjustments and photo edits on the spot. If so you may just need a simple single coloured backdrop. You could have your customers in all the places of interest all over the world, depending on whatever backgroud graphics you have. Imagine having photos of yourself on the moon, infront of effiel tower, among a garden of flowers, next to a lion, etc etc. Imagination is endless.

When I was raising funds for club activities in my uni days, we sold rose for valentine's days. We get coolies (volunteers), laise with distributer, took orders, collected money, sorted out different purchases and orders, set up collection booth, put up delivery services and all other admin stuff. I am not sure if your setup would be more massive. It all depends on your plan, how much you are willing to pay first, for renting equipment, props etc before talking about profits in which you may even make a loss. Who knows?

Good luck pal...

Hi there,

My inputs are as follows, hope it would be helpful. You do have very good equipment to start off, so that itself is already a very good start.

a) Taking Orders

It might be too much of a trouble to take advance orders. People might change their mind and I believe most people might just like walk past, and then decide that they wana take pictures together? Personally, I would think it is better to take the orders on the day itself, easier to cope.

You can work out a plan:

a. prints only @ $5 per print
b. Prints and softcopy @ $10-$12 per package

and of course, no package with just softcopy only

Probably should keep it to printing on the spot and only on the day itself, your idea of wanting to send for developing at outside lab might just 'kill' you eventually. Even if you do want to provide the service, are you going to charge them a higher price than what you paid for or the same price? If it is at a higher price, dont you think they would think it would be cheaper fot them to go print outside themselves?

b) taking photos

I agree with what some who gave their comments in this forum. Just one nice backdrop and one location, else it wld be very messy and the photographers would be very 'siong'.

I was just thinking those portable white screen for projectors make very good white backdrops... lighting may also be critical here...

Ideas on how to take shots, maybe you can visit bookshop and look at books, go to borders or kino and read up those books and get ideas, else, google...

If you are going to provide stuff like jackets, dun forget prople might need time to make-up etc etc, will take a long long time... why not just let them take in their uniforms?

Poses... maybe some of them just want to have their own pose? Like what most people do for neo prints? You can have some pose in mind but on the day itself, can also ask them to pose themselves? For example on large group, can tell them all to have funny expressions and then just take their pics?

c) printing photos

You said you have one canon selphy, do you have enuf cartridges and photopapers also? How many prints can one cartridge print?

Go check out with vendors how much it would cost to rent and then see how much it would cost to buy a new one and then calculate which is more beneficial? Dun forget your extra cartridges and papers...

A few days back I downloaded monkeyphoto (go to google and search), free download for 60days, got quite alot of template there, you might want to have a look?

d) Distributing photos

Give each one a Q no. remember to write their name and contact number. Tell them to come back say half an hr to collect their prints, am sure they can understand if biz is good and there are lotsa pics to print... give buffer time for yourself and your team...

e) Misc stuff

You have to remember to minus off the cartridges and papers bought, your batteries for your flash etc... then you decide how much to charge...

I have seen a wedding shot of my fren, whereby the coupe faced each other and the pic was taken whereby the 1st shot concentrated on the bridegroom, with the bride blurred in the background..in between them was a nice pot of flower... the 2nd shot was shot the other way round...maybe you want to consider that...

I am no expert in photography, just sharing what I think...hope it would be helpful to you... whatever it is, have confidence in yourself and go for it... taking pictures stimes is based on feelings...Good luck...

It's not that I'm wealthy, it's just that I have a great family that supports my hobby. I'm not trying to create trouble or anything, but times change. People now are much better off than in the past. Live with it!

I had a great family who supported my hobby too. In fact, they had not doubt sending me to one of the best university in the US to study photography.

Both my parents were professionals, my father was a manager at a shipping firm and mother a secondary school teacher.

I can see most kids these days don't value much about money (including my teenage nephews). When I went to the US, my only equipment was an used Nikon FE and two lenses (they were all third-party lenses). You cannot imagine how much I urged to own the best equipment (it was a Nikon F2 at that time), and my family could easiiy afford it. BUT my father told me otherwise. I remember he said: "Son, it is not your equipment that makes you a better photographer. It is your ability to 'see' the final picture that matters." Now I finally realised what he said was absolutely correct.

My point is, value what you have while you can. It is not the time for you to make money just yet. Offer your service as a complementary to your fellow schoolmates. I am sure most of them are willing to pay for the cost of the prints. Since you are a newbie, take this opportunity to learn more about photography instead. Making money should not be not your objective.

I remember while I was in school, it was a common practice for me to take photographs for my schoolmates. Most of the time, I did not even charge them for the films and prints. I just found myself learning more everyday this way. Also, I noticed that people are willing to help us make better pictures when they know we are providing them a complementary service. We will make more friends too.

FYI, I don't agree that people are 'better off' now compared to the past. But I do agree that people now have better opportunity. Nowadays, people are armed with better knowledge thanks to easy access to the worldwide web and improved library resources. You have to understand that society growth and progress bring greater and newer problems. Just that you are still very young and have not exposed to them yet. You probably are still living inside your very own comfort zone with your parents' protection and support. Before you reply me, I want you to think very carefully about what I had just said to you. Imagine yourself 10 to 20 years down the road and you have a family of your own to support. Now you tell me whether what I said here is correct. If you are still unable to visualise, the best way is to ask either of your parents this simple question: "Am I better off now compare to yourself many years ago?"

Status
Not open for further replies.