Setting up a mini studio @ home

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventchildrenz

Feb 7, 2006
Need help, im a newbie in photography, i have a 350D camera, just bought two months ago,
and i want to setup one of my room to be a mini studio, but dont know where to start, what are the equipment to buy for startup.

please recommend what are the equipment and what are there uses.

thanks so much

depend on what you intend to shoot, (portraits, still life....
how offen you want to shoot, (once a week, a month, a blue moon....
how much money you want to pump in for the shoot, (sub 1k, 1~2k, 3k and above....

the basic studio set up woul dbe a backdrop and at least one studio light, with some attachments like a softbox, barndoor etc...

you can check in the consumer / mass order section for an idea of prices.

my own advice is that you take advantage of the cheap studio rentals offered here, and do some test shoots in studios to get a feel for the equipment and what you would most often need or use... otherwise its a neverending BBB virus.

jdredd said:
the basic studio set up woul dbe a backdrop and at least one studio light, with some attachments like a softbox, barndoor etc...

you can check in the consumer / mass order section for an idea of prices.

my own advice is that you take advantage of the cheap studio rentals offered here, and do some test shoots in studios to get a feel for the equipment and what you would most often need or use... otherwise its a neverending BBB virus.

Yes, I agree - you can do a lot with just one light and a good reflector.

And renting is a good way to start. Only after you have learnt the ins and outs of the equipment, then think of investing in equipment of your own.

You could also rent someone elses studio for a day.

As your 350D doesn't come with a PC sync, you will need to get a PC sync to hotshoe adaptor or an IR trigger.

I suggest you start with doing still life or product shots, they are IMO the easiest to start and excel in. Once you have found your feet, progress to doing portraits of people/groups.

The library is a good place to start for finding books on studio lighting.

thanks so much for all the responses. really appreciate it.
think will try do a setup with one light and a good reflector.

Can start off with cheaper lights like jinbei. Possible to work with just 1, but 2 would be better. There's a lot of accessories that can be DIYed, especially the reflectors. I have 2 4x8 feet wooden boards that I painted white and black myself to be used as reflectors and black cards. Some small styrofoam boards can also be used to lift shadows, especially for face shots.

Splutter said:
Can start off with cheaper lights like jinbei. Possible to work with just 1, but 2 would be better. There's a lot of accessories that can be DIYed, especially the reflectors. I have 2 4x8 feet wooden boards that I painted white and black myself to be used as reflectors and black cards. Some small styrofoam boards can also be used to lift shadows, especially for face shots.
haha...urs nt small mini studio...uts is big studio...LOL...:rolleyes:

haha...ya...agree wif sputter...alot of things can b diyed...

Splutter said:

Hi splutter... where can I get those jin bei??? Are they reliable?? How much will they costs??

I am just getting itchy handed and like to try setting a mini studio... Do you have any phots of your BIG studio to share with us??? :)

Please advice..... thank you...

Halfmoon said:
Hi splutter... where can I get those jin bei??? Are they reliable?? How much will they costs??

I am just getting itchy handed and like to try setting a mini studio... Do you have any phots of your BIG studio to share with us??? :)

Look for Afiend... :thumbsup:

Halfmoon said:
Hi splutter... where can I get those jin bei??? Are they reliable?? How much will they costs?? :)

The professional range of Jinbei strobes are nice. They are similar to Bowen and their accessories are interchangeable. They even share the same capacitor. Yes, Bowen uses Chinese capacitors.

Jin Bei's quality is good and the build is soild. I uses Bowen at work and have tried a pair of Jin Bei strobes borrowed from a colleague. The color temperature is on the warm-side, just like Bowen. Recycling time is fast (1~3 secs) and the power is consistent. Very nice strobes for potraiture.

Look for Kenneth (Afiend) 96880056.

photobum said:
The professional range of Jinbei strobes are nice. They are similar to Bowen and their accessories are interchangeable. They even share the same capacitor. Yes, Bowen uses China-made capacitors.

Jin Bei's quality is good and the build is soild. I uses Bowen at work and have tried a pair of Jin Bei strobes borrowed from a colleague. The color temperature is on the warm-side, just like Bowen. Recycling time is fast (1~3 secs) and the power is consistent. Very nice strobes for potraiture.

Look for Kenneth (Afiend) 96880056.

Thank you bros for your feedback. I'll check it out....;)

Do they have a shop? I try finding online but cannot find a business name & address of Afiend....

Halfmoon said:
Thank you bros for your feedback. I'll check it out....;)

Do they have a shop? I try finding online but cannot find a business name & address of Afiend....

No, he operates from his house at Clementi. He doesn't have a store-front, but don't worry, he is reliable. An engineer by profession, he will service your strobes if problem arises. He stocks parts for all his strobes.

photobum said:
No, he operates from his house at Clementi. He doesn't have a store-front, but don't worry, he is reliable. An engineer by profession, he will service your strobes if problem arises. He stocks parts for all his strobes.

Ok.. thansk photobum...

How much will 2 sets of soft box estimate to cost?

Also, do they come with cables, or can we use wireless for it too??? Very NEWBIE on studio lighting too... :confused:

Halfmoon said:
Ok.. thansk photobum...

How much will 2 sets of soft box estimate to cost?

Also, do they come with cables, or can we use wireless for it too??? Very NEWBIE on studio lighting too... :confused:
Ask Kenneth, that's why I gave you his mobile number. He will answer your questions better than I do. I am just one of his many customers.

My studio is small lah, afterall it's just a make shift home studio.
Yes Halfmoon, do refer to Kenneth for specific prices. He will know best since he's the seller. 2 Lights with softboxes and the basic accessories should cost about 1K - 1.4k, depending on the range you get.

As for pics, I believe you have already visited this thread. If you need more help can add me to MSN theunholy@post1.com for easier discussion :)

Just a suggestion...depending on yr usage you might want to consider renting a studio instead of buying the equipment. Even better if you can find a friend or two to share the session.

You'l save $$ plus have access to a wider range of better equipment than what you can afford.

From experience, I feel that most amateurs do not make sufficient use of studio lighting to justify owning their own set. Then again, the decision is up to you. The novelty of owning your own rig soon wears off and storage/space issues will start to factor in.

solarii said:
Just a suggestion...depending on yr usage you might want to consider renting a studio instead of buying the equipment. Even better if you can find a friend or two to share the session.

You'l save $$ plus have access to a wider range of better equipment than what you can afford.

From experience, I feel that most amateurs do not make sufficient use of studio lighting to justify owning their own set. Then again, the decision is up to you. The novelty of owning your own rig soon wears off and storage/space issues will start to factor in.

Hi solarii,

thanks for your suggestion, and I am seriouly thinking of forcing myself into this investment so that I will work hard in it... people tend to try to maximise return when they invest money in it... just thinking about it for now.. and I really appreciate it.

I do not make lots of money, so I am a budget and careful in this hobby too! ;)

Also, I did my studies, and some research on potrait lighting and etc already.... hehe....

Splutter said:
My studio is small lah, afterall it's just a make shift home studio.
Yes Halfmoon, do refer to Kenneth for specific prices. He will know best since he's the seller. 2 Lights with softboxes and the basic accessories should cost about 1K - 1.4k, depending on the range you get.

As for pics, I believe you have already visited this thread. If you need more help can add me to MSN theunholy@post1.com for easier discussion :)

Hi Splutter...

Yap... I have seen that already... thank you. :)

I am just researching into this area, as I think most pro do studio shots, and I think I would like to start my own learning on this. For indoor, I am thinking of a DSLR, 1/6 crop like 30D. A 85mm f1.8 & 50mm f1.4...

I had a lot of fun with out dooor, tried sport events too... not very good, but had fun... I enjoy learning the process and challenges... ;)

photobum said:
Ask Kenneth, that's why I gave you his mobile number. He will answer your questions better than I do. I am just one of his many customers.

Hi photo bum... thanks..... will harress him pretty soon as I have some free time to do that... ;)

Halfmoon said:
Hi photo bum... thanks..... will harress him pretty soon as I have some free time to do that... ;)

You are most welcome!

Renting equipment is not a long term solution. You will end up spending more than you should. Kenneth's Jinbei professional strobes are very affordable. Alternatively, you may want to consider the 300W Elektra Century 300 studio kit from Ruby Photo ($800 for 2 strobes, light stands and softboxes).

I understand you are on budget and may not be willing to spend $1.5K~3K in a single purchase. If you are planning to start a home studio slowly, but gradually, I suggest that you invest in one strobe, a light stand, a speed ring and a softbox first. You can use this strobe as your main light, and use your existing EX420 as a fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.