Setting recommendation in a concert (using Canon A40)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yangken

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
Dear all,

A newbie question here. Using a Canon A40, what setting should I take if I would like to take picture in a musical concert?
Usually in a concert, there will be a spotlight on the stage. Is the setting be the same when the whole area is bright? Should be different, right?

Low ISO? Shutter speed?

Please kindly advise. Thank you.

SF

If the spotlights are bright enough, you can probably set to auto and the let the camera do all the work.... easy way out.. :)

If not, and you're too far away for the flash to be effective then I would suggest a higher ISO setting, maybe 200 or 400. This will introduce some noise, though.

If you set to low ISO, the exposure will need to be longer. Many of your photos will probably be screwed due to handshake as I assume you'll be taking the photos handheld.

So, I guess the rule will be use auto with flash if possible. Use mid/high ISO if stage not bright enough.

:)

just one of my experiences..... even with a strong spotlight, standing just below the stage, a f/2.8 lens wide open with ISO 400 film at 1/90s is just sufficient....

not to be a wet blanket but i doubt that ur digi-cam can handle that without flash.... only alternative is to get in close for the shot and i meant really close like just below the stage

I second mervlam's suggestions.

I quote another clubsnapper here, " Just sit back and enjoy the show.", seriously your digicam will have problems handling that kind of lighting conditions and subjects.

Can try,lah. Here's some pics taken with my old Kodak DC3400 2mp camera. I was seated quite a distance from the field. Time was about 9pm or so. All settings set to Auto (no choice,lah... camera has no manual controls, whatsoever).

Of course, National Stadium's lights are bright. No need flash.

612_resized.JPG

640_resized.JPG

if its your favourite pop idol and you must take a photo, maybe just load a film P&S with 800 speed film :)

heres an slr shot close to mervlam's suggested metering.... (1/3 stop off)
jewel1.jpg

Originally posted by dbchoong
Can try,lah. Here's some pics taken with my old Kodak DC3400 2mp camera. I was seated quite a distance from the field. Time was about 9pm or so. All settings set to Auto (no choice,lah... camera has no manual controls, whatsoever).

Of course, National Stadium's lights are bright. No need flash.

hehehe... not that u are lucky... but the stadium is flood lit... like the sun is there... so bright that i can see the lights from my house

I'm a newbie and i might be wrong please advice ....

what camera can capture concert moments ???

You mean A40 or any entry level camera cannot take the pic because of poor flash light ?? Or because of handshake ??

If its poor flash then understandabel but if its because of handshake then any camera also handshake ..??

or we need tripod ?? and choose manual function .... ?

Thanks

here's one from my friend at roughly the same exposure value.

stef

Originally posted by GKF
I'm a newbie and i might be wrong please advice ....

what camera can capture concert moments ???

You mean A40 or any entry level camera cannot take the pic because of poor flash light ?? Or because of handshake ??

If its poor flash then understandabel but if its because of handshake then any camera also handshake ..??

or we need tripod ?? and choose manual function .... ?

Thanks

to overcome handshake u may need three things
1) tripod
2) fast film but grainy
3) flash

a f/2.8 lens can help if u can have access to one....

the entry-level digital cameras and the P&S film cameras have built-in flash units that have low GN (ie not enough flash)... so it is rather foolish to use such cameras for concerts.... moreover some concert do not allow flash photography

a SLR will be better off as a powerful flash unit can be attached... but bare in mind the range of the flash unit... for large stages.. it is best that the photographer is just under the stage... therefore a photo pass is needed if there is security and if it's a big event.

by using the manual function, the photographer are more control over his camera, but it requires knowledge. however it is not necessary to use the manual mode.

Originally posted by mervlam
when can i get my hands on those pro-bodies and L lenses???
:dunno: :(
when u can go into CP and whip out your credit card without flinching... :D

I took that shot of the photographers as I noticed almost all of them were camped behind the Singapore goalpost.... :bsmilie: Only one or 2 behind the Liverpool goalpost. Any guesses why? :)

when can i get my hands on those pro-bodies and L lenses???
:dunno: :(

1. Tripod - possibly not practical if you're a spectator....
2. Fast film (high ISO) - grainy - no choice
3. Powerful Flash - but if flash not allowed, then how?

:dunno:

to overcome handshake u may need three things
1) tripod
2) fast film but grainy
3) flash

a f/2.8 lens can help if u can have access to one....

the entry-level digital cameras and the P&S film cameras have built-in flash units that have low GN (ie not enough flash)... so it is rather foolish to use such cameras for concerts.... moreover some concert do not allow flash photography

a SLR will be better off as a powerful flash unit can be attached... but bare in mind the range of the flash unit... for large stages.. it is best that the photographer is just under the stage... therefore a photo pass is needed if there is security and if it's a big event.

by using the manual function, the photographer are more control over his camera, but it requires knowledge. however it is not necessary to use the manual mode.

hmm..as someone who likes to take photos at concert as spectator.......below is my advice........

few things u shld know.........
1. no tripod cos no spectator i have seen is allowed tripods, sometimes even reporters cannot use so u as spectator can forget abt it.......
2. no flash....cos in the 1st place, ur flash most of the time is not strong enough and u r not allowed to use flash........they might kick u out of the place or the singer will just avoid ur side of the stage....then i think after concert u might have to deal with the wrath of the fans at ur seating side...:D

so the oni things u can control is
1. film...use the fastest film like iso800 or iso1600
2. lens...use fast lens with aperture f2.8 or lower .......
3. seating..maybe in a way u can try to get the nearest seat as possible to the stage.....or go backstage and take pics with the singer..:p
4. i believe u do need a zoom....

Originally posted by dbchoong
I took that shot of the photographers as I noticed almost all of them were camped behind the Singapore goalpost.... :bsmilie: Only one or 2 behind the Liverpool goalpost. Any guesses why? :)

so that they can capture the moment Liverpool scores... hehehehe

Dear all,

Many thanks for your replies. Will try your suggestions.

SF

Status
Not open for further replies.