Setting picture quality mode for DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

colour

Mar 7, 2006
I be going oversea for a week and wil be bringing along two CF card of 1 giga size each. I just brought a canon 30D and had not really try out the camera yet. If I set my picture quality to Large (fine), I can take around 200plus picture. I don't require to enlagre the photo I take and properly will only print out a few that I likes and the rest will be store insde CDs. Thought of setting my picture quality mode to Medium and Small modes to gain increase in the number of shots. ( Taking into consideration that I not able to find computer facilites to download my shots from my CF cards into CDs over there). Anyone had try setting the picture quality mode to the least memory consuming, that is the small mode? How is the picuture quality compare to the photo taken in Large mode setting?

Dude

Tink u might need to try it urself. Doubt so it wud b very difficult to make e comparison. Cuz wat might b sufficient size to others might not apply to u. Furthermore, suggest u try out ur new cam fully before u fly off. Else it is as good a bringin a non working camera as u do not noe how to operate it fully. Unless of course u wanna use ur DSLR as a P&S.

Dumb dumb dumb idea! Why do you want to do that???? Why didn't you buy a camera with lower resolution in the first place if you are going to let CF storage capacity dictate wht you can shoot?

Just go and get another CG catrd, 1 GB is going for $59.

What would happen, you took the best picture of your life, never to be repeated again, you want to blow it up, but damn, you shot it at the low resolution, you can cry then.

I don't understand why people spend thousands of dollars to buy a camera, and then shoot at the lowest resolution and picture quality to safe on CF card.

DUMB, DUMBER and DUMBEST idea!

btw, AdyH is right, do you know how to use the camera?

a long time ago i think soemone else asked the same question... i think u can do a search and see what happened... -_-"

anyway, i wouldn recommend shooting at anything but the highest resolution the camera has to offer.

Deadpoet said:
Dumb dumb dumb idea! Why do you want to do that???? Why didn't you buy a camera with lower resolution in the first place if you are going to let CF storage capacity dictate wht you can shoot?

What would happen, you took the best picture of your life, never to be repeated again, you want to blow it up, but damn, you shot it at the low resolution, you can cry then.

I don't understand why people spend thousands of dollars to buy a camera, and then shoot at the lowest resolution and picture quality to safe on CF card.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :sweat:

go easy on the guy :what:

but its true...to not make full use of the camera's full capture size would be a waste...plus you have to put up with whatever passes for downsizing interpolation (to make the file smaller...the camera will still capture at 8Mpixels and has to reduce the size of the image) in the camera processor...

get some cheap CF cards or a CF format microdrive...will be worth it :) or rent a photo harddrive...look in the consumers corner of this forum

Deadpoet said:

Deadpoet:

$59 dollars is a small sum of money to you. Unfotunately, not everybody is as rich as you, to just spend money like drinking a glass of water. Besides already spend a lump of money on my new DSLR, camera accessories and flashes, I had also spending out another sum of money on my travel, winter wears and so on within this short period. I have make full use of what my have.

To shoot at the highest resolution, you will ended up with no more memories for the remaining trip and you do not want to delete away any single photos as you likes all of them and all are you hard work, then that even worst. You cannot shoot for the remaining days of the trip. That is the ULTIMATE DUMBEST IDEA out of the DUMD,DUMER, DUMBEST IDEAS!!!! Give me tens CF card also not enough.

Do I know how to use my camera? That is for you to find out.

colour said:
Deadpoet:

$59 dollars is a small sum of money to you. Unfotunately, not everybody is as rich as you, to just spend money like drinking a glass of water. Besides already spend a lump of money on my new DSLR, camera accessories and flashes, I had also spending out another sum of money on my travel, winter wears and so on within this short period. I have make full use of what my have.

To shoot at the highest resolution, you will ended up with no more memories for the remaining trip and you do not want to delete away any single photos as you likes all of them and all are you hard work, then that even worst. You cannot shoot for the remaining days of the trip. That is the ULTIMATE DUMBEST IDEA out of the DUMD,DUMER, DUMBEST IDEAS!!!! Give me tens CF card also not enough.

erm... to be fair, u just spent $2k+++ on ur cam. and u are sweating over $59? :think:

the reason behind everyone's no-no on shooting at the lowest res possible in order to increase the number of pics possible is becos shooting at the lowest res means u are 'throwing' away data per pic. read ur manual on the 30D, and see wats the pic res at the lowest setting. eg, ur 30D gives an image 1728 x 1152 (2.0 MP), which i believe gives u a half-decent 3R size pic (?; my maths is pretty bad). try developing it larger and u see wat happens to ur pic. is dat wat u want, after flying all the way to wherever u are going?

personally, i rather invest in more 1GB cards to capture the memories, rather than to scrimp and pray for the best when u come home.

Putting it in a more diplomatic way, yes, what others have advocated makes complete sense. Your CF card can be sold away later if you don't wish to keep it after the trip. If you are really, really tight, post a "Want To Rent" on the Consumers Corner board and look for a storage device or CF cards to rent (which, IMHO, not much savings compared to getting a new one).

Even if you are sure you know which shots are keepers and then switch to Max-Res mode to shoot it, you may just FORGET to switch in your excitement...or even worse, miss the moment altogether while fumbling with the controls - and you'll hit yourself on the head.

Even if you never, ever will make enlargements beyond 4R, you'll be second-guessing yourself whether the photo you took will have better detail should you have taken it at Max-Res.

colour said:
Deadpoet:

i think you basically answered your own question... you're willing compromise on quality for a gain in quantity... so why bother with the question let alone the answers you'll get?:dunno: ...

on the other hand you did asked for a comparison btwn quality and received an appropriate response...

i'm new to DSLR but i've often wonder, why ppl i know bother abt getting higher resolutions (5MP & above) P&S when they're shooting at 2MP or 1MP even and skimp on bigger storage media:dunno: ... might as well just use one of the better hp cameras ard...

colour said:
Deadpoet:

Yes, I can afford the S$59 for a 1GB CF card, not becasue I am rich or not, because I prioritise my spending. I will not go out and spend S$2K on a camera and not leaving enough money to get the necessary accessories and supporting equipment for me to make the best use of my new camera.

If you don't have the money left over, you probably should have bought a 20D instead. There are still plenty new ones in the market, with full Canon warranty, for a lot less. Since you spent the big bucks to get the 30D, I assume that another S$59 should not be a problem.

Oh, 10 GB not enough, well, 100 GB also not enough, setting at the lowest resolution shooting jpeg, 2 GB can also be not enough.

It's all priority.

The 30D makes you feel like a better photographer, good for you. Then use the camera to make the best picture, but if you want to limit yourself, your choice.

So be it if you don't have enough money left after spending all your money on the 30D to get another CF card, that again is your choice. Go ahead and shoot at a lower resolution and cry afterwards, again, it's your choice. Come back from an oversea trip with low resolution pictures, again it's your choice.

We here gave you what we will do, listern or not, again it's your choice.

If u scared that 2GB not enough, than dont be trigger happy lah. I not too sure how many shots u can squeeze when shooting raw with 2Gb with 30D, but for mi, it would mean about 200 shots in raw on my humble 350D. For yours, might be slightly less, but still, it should be like 5 rolls of flim. That should be enough rite? If you are not overly trigger happy.

Dont wan to buy new CF cards, BORROW lah. Ask around to see which friend has extra CF cards to lend u loh.

Having read the exchange of view points between Color and DeadPoet, I tend to agree more with DeadPoet's.

However, if you really come to a situation where you have to compromise quality for number of shots, reduce the image size, but retain the highest jpeg compression quality (ie Fine).

Ren_Hao said:
If u scared that 2GB not enough, than dont be trigger happy lah. I not too sure how many shots u can squeeze when shooting raw with 2Gb with 30D, but for mi, it would mean about 200 shots in raw on my humble 350D. For yours, might be slightly less, but still, it should be like 5 rolls of flim. That should be enough rite? If you are not overly trigger happy.

Dont wan to buy new CF cards, BORROW lah. Ask around to see which friend has extra CF cards to lend u loh.

With 2 GB of flash memory, if shooting jpegs, I am assuming OP won't even try to shoot raw, at the highest resolution with the lowest compression, the file size should be around 1.8 MB to 2.5 MB, I am using 2 MB for this calculation, OP can shoot approx 1000 pictures before he runs out of memory.

With the LARGE LCD of the 30D, which I am sure was one of the OP's purchase reasons, he can review the pictures on the LARGE LCD and delete the outtakes. Maybe, he is such a great photographer, many shots many kills, no outtake, then, well, the 1000 shots capacity may not be enough.

I wonder, OP did say it's a short trip, how many days will he be gone and shooting? Does he needs so much memory ...hmm ... but if he shoots like a machine gunner, then, yeah, 2 GB may not be enough

Stop wasting your time posting stupid questions and spend more time learning to use the camera. Which BTW would tell you exactly how many images you can get on a 1Gb card. Then multiply by 2 and viola - you do know how to multiply by 2 don't you?

cyber_m0nkey said:
Stop wasting your time posting stupid questions and spend more time learning to use the camera. Which BTW would tell you exactly how many images you can get on a 1Gb card. Then multiply by 2 and viola - you do know how to multiply by 2 don't you?

Stopping being so selfish. Stupid question or not is not for you to comment. Forum is a free place open for everyone. All I ask is for photo taken is low resolution and high resolution and how is the effect and to share experience. Some had posted me useful comment. I appreicate these kind people. Some are getting overboard, arrogant, give sacastic remarks and even made personal attack. Not necessary at all.:dunno:

I wonder who is attacking who?

To cyber_monkey, who were you attacking?

Deadpoet said:
I wonder who is attacking who?

To cyber_monkey, who were you attacking?

To me it's quite obvious - C*****

I too agree, why buy a 8M camera and don't use it to its maximum potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.