Setting of your DSLR (i.e shutter speed, aperture etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon20

Jul 31, 2008
Hihi, I am new to DSLR and I always have a question in my mind when I went thru the galleries. I am wondering how come you guys can remember what setting ie. shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc you have selected for all your pictures? Sorry if this question seem dumb to the experts but I am really curious to know...Thanks.

Hi, I am no expert (a noobie as well) but for me, I can remember the settings of every shot from the bundled software that came with my camera. The software displays info like ISO, shutter speed ,etc.

Hope that helped:)

Oh really?? Thanks alot. I have bought my D40 but I can't remember are there a bundled software for this...Thanks anyway, will check it out. Cheers!

hi.
you can right click on the image > Properties > Summary > Advance (you will see the settings if you're already at advance) :)
btw, this applies on Windows... but i'm pretty sure it works almost the same way on a Mac. :)

the more you shoot at different times of the day and at different places(indoor, outdoor)..the better you remember what to use..

i personally use Aperture priority mode 90 % of the time to control depth of field...other than that i just play with ISO...daytime shoot at 100 or 200....night time at 400-800
indoor without flash at 400

unless am shooting with a flash where i use Manual mode...

I am wondering how come you guys can remember what setting ie. shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc you have selected for all your pictures?

The Exif data is encoded in the image file and can be retrieved for review of settings such as the aperture / shutter speed / ISO etc .

Ryan

Thanks so much for all your replies.
I managed to view it under Properties > Summary > Advanced in Windows.
Hmm, I am still a noob to photography so I just randomly select my setting whenever I wanna take a shoot. Have a lot to pick up. =)

Thanks so much for all your replies.
I managed to view it under Properties > Summary > Advanced in Windows.
Hmm, I am still a noob to photography so I just randomly select my setting whenever I wanna take a shoot. Have a lot to pick up. =)

try shooting with the A mode uh..lesser headache...sooner or later u will find out the correlation of shutter speed and aperture..but since the camera can take half the thinking for you..let it figure out the shutter speed then...

manual mode is pretty cool to give you full control...look at the "exposure bar" for correct metering..but can be rather fiddly for beginners...usually use this for landscape shooting..and flash shooting...

i just started like u and i love the aperture priority mood..u dont get as much heart pain as when u are just trying out manual mode..

shoot shoot and shoot!!!!

hi.
you can right click on the image > Properties > Summary > Advance (you will see the settings if you're already at advance) :)
btw, this applies on Windows... but i'm pretty sure it works almost the same way on a Mac. :)

Wow, I never knew this way can be used to view the settings! Now I can save a lot of time instead of firing up the bundled software ;)

For some of the posted pictures on the forum, you will find the shooting parameters buried inside the EXIF metadata inside each posted picture. Install Opanda's IEXIF or equivalent to view the settings.

For files created by Nikon DSLR D40 and residing inside your computer or camera, you may download and install for free, Nikon ViewNX that allows you to examine the shooting parameters.

hi.

But only for jpg files. RAW will not be displayed since Windows can't handle them directly.

Using windows? Try Opanda.

You can start reading the guidelines here to get a first understanding about the three key parameters: ISO, shutter speed, aperture. Understand how exposure works using these elements and what side effects these parameters have. A short pointer:
ISO - sensitivity and picture noise
shutter speed - freezing motion and exposure time
aperture - lens opening and depth of field
When taking pictures first decide which factor is important. The other two factors need to follow then. You can do this either automatically with your cam (using the P, A and T modes) or Manually. If unsure you can also use the Scene Modes and just see what the camera suggests. You can use these settings then and go to A, P or T and try for yourself.

But only for jpg files. RAW will not be displayed since Windows can't handle them directly.

If the camera is Sony, then by installing the sony software, Windows explorer can understand and thumbnail the Sony RAW files too.

yup, true that the Properties steps can't view for RAW... :(
wats the fastest way for RAW?

If the camera is Sony, then by installing the sony software, Windows explorer can understand and thumbnail the Sony RAW files too.

That's better than Canon then. Even with Canon DPP installed neither CR2 nor DNG gets displayed as thumbnail in Explorer. Also no EXIF data in Advanced Properties.

yup, true that the Properties steps can't view for RAW... :(
wats the fastest way for RAW?

Irfanview for me. When viewing the picture just hit "i" to see image information, followed by "e" for EXIF data.
But the orientation of CR2 is not recognized. After converting it to DNG Irfanview recognizes the orientation. I "love" these proprietary formats...

Irfanview for me. When viewing the picture just hit "i" to see image information, followed by "e" for EXIF data.
But the orientation of CR2 is not recognized. After converting it to DNG Irfanview recognizes the orientation. I "love" these proprietary formats...

-.- lol
i love it too.
normally i just convert it to RAW and view. maybe it's too much of a hassle to some...

Status
Not open for further replies.