Setting for Wedding dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

locksley

Jan 26, 2004
Central Area
Hi Ppl

going to help my buddy with his wedding (save cost)
I will be using EOS 30 with Tamron 24-135 + Sigma 500 super

May I have any tips from the experts here on:
1. what setting for the group fotos ?
2. how to prevent reflection from the lazy suzie on the table
3. should I use direct flash or stofen or bounce card ?
4. ANything to take note ?

Reagrds
Locksley

the setting for group fotos will be around f8..so that the number of ppl in the fotos are maintained as sharp. shutter speed can go down to as low as 1/30s. Make sure ur hands are steady. or then you can feel blurness!! 1/30s is good so that the background wun be too late...if you are scared..can always go for faster shutter.

for me i usu use a bounce card...either get a DIY card yourself or buy one from one of these guys in Clubsnap who is selling.

hope this is useful..

nostalgia said:
the setting for group fotos will be around f8..so that the number of ppl in the fotos are maintained as sharp. shutter speed can go down to as low as 1/30s. Make sure ur hands are steady. or then you can feel blurness!! 1/30s is good so that the background wun be too late...if you are scared..can always go for faster shutter.

for me i usu use a bounce card...either get a DIY card yourself or buy one from one of these guys in Clubsnap who is selling.

hope this is useful..

THanks nostalgia
but do u use bounce card throughout the dinner ?

i use ISO 400 @ F4 or F5.6 @ 1/60 with flash bounced with a white card @ ISO100.

if u need more flash power for stage group photo,dun bounce..

kex said:
i use ISO 400 @ F4 or F5.6 @ 1/60 with flash bounced with a white card @ ISO100.

if u need more flash power for stage group photo,dun bounce..

THanks kex
but I dun really understand "use ISO 400 @ F4 or F5.6 @ 1/60 with flash bounced with a white card @ ISO100"

y got two ISO ?

u sey ISO 400 f4 or 5.6 @ ur camera and iso100 on ur flash,becoz,u will lose power while bouncing..
best to do a test shot on it @ 3m & 4m to confirm and adjust accordingly.
if not,just set everything to ISO400 and use the flash straight on.

ohh..if the ceiling is low,u might just get enuff light @400 while bouncing.

Since he's saving cost, he won't expect much from u rite? Therefore, you don't have to worry too much. Treat it as a learning experience. If you foul up, too bad for him also.

Table shots is not only about going from table to table snapping the people, posing the group, watching the background, watching for reflections from mirrors, make sure they don't blink, different lightings which may create unusual colour casts from different directions, & much more...

Happy shooting.. :)

kex said:
u sey ISO 400 f4 or 5.6 @ ur camera and iso100 on ur flash,becoz,u will lose power while bouncing..
best to do a test shot on it @ 3m & 4m to confirm and adjust accordingly.
if not,just set everything to ISO400 and use the flash straight on.

Eh ehm...He's using a film camera, so i guess he can't just set anyhow to any ISO...All depends on the DX coding unless he plans to overwrite them...

y can't he set ISO on a film camera ?
have u handle a film camera b4 ? :dunno:

With regards to bouncing flash off a white card, are there any specific angles we should keep the flash at?

he can set ISO. however he can't change the ISO midway through the roll of film. Correct me if i am wrong. :)

i bounce it straight up with a piece of 3R/4R paper strapped by rubber band with the white side facing the subject..
usually keep a few pcs in my bag..

my EOS 30 set the ISO of the film manually :)
But never play with it be4

kex: may I know how to play with ISO ?

like using a ISO 400 film, what will happen if I select ISO 200 & 640 ?

Thanks in advance

kex said:
i bounce it straight up with a piece of 3R/4R paper strapped by rubber band with the white side facing the subject..
usually keep a few pcs in my bag..

Thinking of using omnibounce + card :think:

i'm advising him to change the ISO setting on the flash to 100 while bouncing or set the flash to 400 if using straight on..the Iso400 on the camera remain the same throughout..

anyway, if ur camera is on manual mode @ 1/60 F5.6, and the flash is set to auto @ 400,the ISO setting on the camera doesn't affect the exposure at all..

locksley said:
Thinking of using omnibounce + card :think:
That's suicide, don't do it.

Just use the bouncecard, an omnibounce is far less effective in such venues.

If you are unfamiliar with the effects of ISO overriding and exposure compensation, this is not the time to mess with it. Many of the suggestions here may not work with your current hardware combo as each camera has its own flash exposure metering behaviour and idiosyncrysies.

kex said:
y can't he set ISO on a film camera ?
have u handle a film camera b4 ? :dunno:

I was saying that unless he plans to overwrites the filmspeed range
, if not the camera will be set to according to the DX coding. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.