Setting for product shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

des1984

I would like to go into learning to shoot product. Thinking of starting to shoot small product like pens, handphones, watches and stuff. I was wondering what kind of flash, stuff (e.g. tents) that I need for it? Do i need a marco lens for it as well?

A light tent is a good piece of equipment. Multiple light sources is also a good idea. I also buy multiple different coloured pieces of paper for BG.

A macro lens is good when you need to bring out the minute details, else you can also do well with a 50mm. ;)

DO I need to buy those studio lights? Or normal DSLR Flash like 530ex can already? How many i need?

I shoot with a single flash at the moment, but often wish for more... :bsmilie:

I also have 2 fixed fluoroscent lamp tubes for light box usage. ;)

DO I need to buy those studio lights? Or normal DSLR Flash like 530ex can already? How many i need?

Normal DSLR flash will suffice if you use them properly... Can go strobist.com.. They give very good info on lighting:)

you need to use a tripod, cos focusing and composition is critical.

you need to use smaller aperture like f11 or f16, to get enough DOF for small items.

you need to get your flash off the camera, so you also need a extension cord or wire to connect your camera and flash.

you can use a light tent to make your life easier, however, don't have to buy one, just google search for "DIY light tent" or Homemade light tent".

you can get a macro lens if you do it often, however, for none critical or casual use, just use a close up filter or extension tube will do.

I shoot with a single flash at the moment, but often wish for more... :bsmilie:

I also have 2 fixed fluoroscent lamp tubes for light box usage. ;)

May I know do you use those commercial fuoroscent lamp tubes meant for product shoot? If not, may I know how do you overcome the issue of getting the correct white balance?

Lastly, if you use the flash together with the fluoroscent light, how do you actually determine the correct white balance?

Thanks

Hi, may I know how do you do it with 1 flash? Thats great!

May I know do you use those commercial fuoroscent lamp tubes meant for product shoot? If not, may I know how do you overcome the issue of getting the correct white balance?

Lastly, if you use the flash together with the fluoroscent light, how do you actually determine the correct white balance?

Thanks

I shoot with off camera flash (Nikon AWL) triggered from my on board flash.

The commercial fluoroscent bulbs will give u a colour cast, I just shoot in RAW and correct later. Use a white card at the start of the shoot to check for the WB.

;)

I shoot with off camera flash (Nikon AWL) triggered from my on board flash.

The commercial fluoroscent bulbs will give u a colour cast, I just shoot in RAW and correct later. Use a white card at the start of the shoot to check for the WB.

;)

But I thought the colour temperature of fluoroscent and flash is different? So even if you shoot raw, if you adjust the white balance, either the flash or the fluoroscent will show their colour cast. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent/#more-225

I did this, with an exception. Since I got into purchasing a radio trigger, I can put my flash anywhere I like, so I bought a piece of art paper and bent it to fit the top of my box, so there's an inward curve. I put the flash inside the light tent, and using physics, any light that goes up will be reflected down. The curved top paper will reflect the light evenly.

Now I just put my flash + shoot-through umbrella above the light-tent and shoot. Even better at diffusing light.

Yes.. either or... I either shoot with the 2 lamps

or with a single flash.

mixing gives pretty weird lighting results.

Status
Not open for further replies.