Set up for travel

Mar 26, 2009
Hi, i am leaving for taiwan tml for 9 days trip. From taipei to kaoshiong. Want to find out which are the ideal set up to bring for this trip. Doing landscape, street photography and street candid. I have both the canon and nikon system. Will bring 2 bodies of either 1 brand with the appropriate set up.

1. Nikon system
A. D800
B. D700
C. 50 f1.4
D. 85 f1.8
E. 16-35
F. 24-70
G. 80-200

2. Canon system
A. 5D
B. 6D
C. 50 f1.4
D. 24-70
E. 70-200

Please feel free to put in your thought.

Thanks.

Just my view, it may be too heavy to bring 2 big bodies during the trip. As guess u be moving from place to place during this 9 days.
During my trip to taiwan 2 yrs ago, which same from north down to south, moving to diff hotel/motel, rushing for train etc. I just bring along my canon powershot S90. I had packed my DSLR b4 the trip, but at last min I decided to put back and just has a compact camera. And I get to enjoy more on trip. My hands are free to hold food etc, especially when walking ard at their night market.

If really need to, will just bring 1 body and one general lens. In ur case may be the 24-70mm.
With more extra batteries & memory cards.

Last edited:
Just my view, it may be too heavy to bring 2 big bodies during the trip. As guess u be moving from place to place during this 9 days.
During my trip to taiwan 2 yrs ago, which same from north down to south, I just bring along my canon S90. And I get to enjoy more on trip. My hands are free to hold food etc

Thanks.

Hi, if only 1 body to bring, what will be the lens pairing for landscape, street photography and street photography.

Any camera bodies of your collection will do + a 24-70...

16 35mm and 85mm

Bring the D800 + 16-35 and 80-200. This will cover all bases.

If you do not think you will use tele much, then just bring 16-35 and 50/85.

My setup D800 + 24-70 + 14mm (for hotel room shot) + 16mm fish eye ( for creative shot)

IMHO, 1A,C,E

Don't bring 2 bodies.
Thats too heavy.

Remember to bring the tripod.

Enjoy! :)

I will bring D800 + 16-35 + 80-200 + 50 f1.4
Enjoy your trip :)

Frankly the kit lens will work very well. At most a 75 or 80mm upper limit. But you don't want to lose the lower 16 or 18mm.

Following are my recent encounters. I do have a range of lenses that I opted not to bring. Wider apertures would be nice but the occasional high ISO although not preferred is better than a heavy lens all the time. Not forgetting its a holiday vs a photo assignment.

11 days Netherlands, 16-50. Never felt needed anything more. Sony Nex 6

Beijing 2 weeks, 16-105. Too heavy. Sony A65. The longer end was practically unused.

Italy 14 days, 16-105, too heavy. 99% of shots were below 50. Sony A55

Italy 12 days, 18-105. Too heavy. Again majority we're below 50. Above 50 not really needed, used it just because it's there. Nikon D3000

Chengdu, 12 days, 18-55 kit lens. No problems. Nikon D3000

Taiwan, 14 days, 14-42 micro 4/3. Range is good. EPL2.

Before these were compacts usually at 35mm. Rarely used the zoom

just bring 1 body, and a 16-35 or 24-70 will do.
if u must, bring a point and shoot as backup. you're on holiday! enjoy! don't miss the forest for the trees with all the focusing on the perfect shots..

Travel many time to Taiwan, usually I do not care what people bring when travel oversea. Camera and lens do breakdown and no matter if it is new or old. I saw many sad faces during travel when their camera or lens break down.

I usually travel with two camera body: one crop and one full frame, three lens: 50mm f/1.8, 20-35mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/4. If one camera/lens breakdown at least I had some backup. Try not to change lens at beaches or on the boat at sea, that is why you need two body. If you are travel with group, schedule is tight, so two camera is good.

My recomendation as follow:
1. Nikon system
A. D800
B. D700
C. 50 f1.4

E. 16-35

G. 80-200

Have a nice journey and post some of your great memory when back to Singapore. :)

I'd pack light, but that's usually my style. This means:
1. 1 body
2. Just a couple of zooms or perhaps a couple more primes. No more than 3 lenses.
3. Tripod and flash dependent on situations.

No preference between Canon and Nikon systems.

I'm not concerned about missed shots, as unless we are talking about special once-in-a-lifetime trip to the African wilderness / Antarctica expedition / shoot with the VS angels, I know I'd be back again.

Might be wise to bring just one body + 24-70 if you're there purely for a enjoyment holiday instead of a photography holiday.. I felt my 60D + 17-50 + 50 1.4 + 55-250 alrdy too heavy for my trip to Taiwan similar to yours.. ended up doing my DSLR in the hotel n bring my em5 instead (mostly carried by my gf)..

Just bring along a long zoom for zoo trips as quite a number of animals are far away.. unless u don't mind cropping..

Just bring your Nikon system. Definitely all the bases are covered. :cool:
For me on holidays, just bring 1x body + standard zoon and a prime for low light and a compact on those occasions I want to leave the DSLR in the hotel room.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I like the combination of 16-35; 50 and 80-200. But will still bring 2 bodies with me. Less lens changing means low chances of dust to sensor.

Once again, thank you.

Just fix one wide and one tele to each body and don't change so much. Use 50mm when needed. Sling your cameras for faster action. Happy holiday!

Hi, i am leaving for taiwan tml for 9 days trip. From taipei to kaoshiong. Want to find out which are the ideal set up to bring for this trip. Doing landscape, street photography and street candid. I have both the canon and nikon system. Will bring 2 bodies of either 1 brand with the appropriate set up.

1. Nikon system
A. D800
B. D700
C. 50 f1.4
D. 85 f1.8
E. 16-35
F. 24-70
G. 80-200

2. Canon system
A. 5D
B. 6D
C. 50 f1.4
D. 24-70
E. 70-200

Please feel free to put in your thought.

Thanks.

If you dun find it heavy with 2 body. Nikon D 800 and D700 with
16-35mm, 24-70 mm and 80-200mm.
I think these 3 lenses is good enough to cover the shots that you planning to take.
Remember to bring tripod.

Last edited: