Set up for product shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazrizal

Feb 15, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi, I was just wondering how many ppl here have done products shoots before? :think:

A friend of mine is asking me to shoot her makeup items like brushes and makeup palettes etc. So I was wondering what sort of equitment would I need to do a decent shoot? And what sort of set up should I use?

I've got the basics i.e. 50mm, 18-105mm, tripod, Sb900 flash. Would I need extra stuff?

Cheers
Haz

no problem....sup sup water..

just shw us ur setup after u got them..:cool:

Yea, hear that those light tents/box(those which u can buy outside one) does produce pretty decent results.

Do share some shots when u finish shooting:thumbsup:

are you shooting something simple, and relatively small?

if yes, just a cardboard and a camera mounted flash will do. infact, that's more then enough for product shoots...

Think about the colour tone you want, or any particular feature you wish to emphasize. This will help you get the tools you need.

how do you set up the rig if your products are 2-dimension, like stamp sheets?

where would you place the light source? the top is impractical, because you would want to place the camera vertically on top to shoot straight down. but then, i wonder how do we mount the camera to face vertically down.... :confused:

how do you set up the rig if your products are 2-dimension, like stamp sheets?

where would you place the light source? the top is impractical, because you would want to place the camera vertically on top to shoot straight down. but then, i wonder how do we mount the camera to face vertically down.... :confused:
camview.jpg

Camera and Lamp Set-up for Copying

you can use this type of tripod, Manfrotto 190XPROB

Manfrotto190XPROB1_e_d2793b46ffbc8740c7fe3a57350fc3aa.jpg

if you are just looking to digitalize stamps etc, I think a flatbed scanner is more efficient.. you can prob get a decent one for the price of the 190XPROB..

Hi, I was just wondering how many ppl here have done products shoots before? :think:

A friend of mine is asking me to shoot her makeup items like brushes and makeup palettes etc. So I was wondering what sort of equitment would I need to do a decent shoot? And what sort of set up should I use?

I've got the basics i.e. 50mm, 18-105mm, tripod, Sb900 flash. Would I need extra stuff?

Cheers
Haz

light tent is not a miracle all in 1 solution.

anyway, any samples to see before we give u advice? cos from what i see, you most likely will be using your 50mm, but what is her requirement, and the size of makeup items? then your sb900 flash i suppose is only 1... so what kinda lighting are you trying to achieve?

dun expect to use a bounce card and think the whole tent can be lighted evenly.

camview.jpg

Camera and Lamp Set-up for Copying

you can use this type of tripod, Manfrotto 190XPROB

Manfrotto190XPROB1_e_d2793b46ffbc8740c7fe3a57350fc3aa.jpg

thnks for the detailed tips. what is the common name of the manfrotto 190XPPROB tripod? is it an "overhang" tripod or a "vertical" tripod?

i am considering looking for cheaper but similar type. afterall, the camera is fixed in position and so such an expensive tripod might be an overkill. :)

(ok, ok, this is the perspective of someone looking for a cheap solution.)

if you are just looking to digitalize stamps etc, I think a flatbed scanner is more efficient.. you can prob get a decent one for the price of the 190XPROB..

thanks for comments. i did consider using a scanner, but it would be time consuming with a scanner. and for a scanner to produce close to original colour, the set resolution would be high. this would slow the scanning process further.

and then i have not decided how to store such a huge volume of images, although categorising them into respective memory cards might be one solution.

:)

thnks for the detailed tips. what is the common name of the manfrotto 190XPPROB tripod? is it an "overhang" tripod or a "vertical" tripod?

i am considering looking for cheaper but similar type. afterall, the camera is fixed in position and so such an expensive tripod might be an overkill. :)

(ok, ok, this is the perspective of someone looking for a cheap solution.)
long before digital age, photographers are using copywork set up to reproduce artworks, paintings, notes and whatever.

copy stand is the proper tool for such set up, however, it is more expensive than the Manfrotto 190XPPROB and it is also hard to get.

anyway, if you are keen to do DIY work, this may help you.

if you only need to digitize stamps, a flatbed scanner is a better option, in term of quality, workflow and also cost, since most stamps are totally flat and small.

you can scan a color chart first, fine tune it close to the original, save the curve setting, than apply it on all your scanned stamp images using batch processing.

for cost saving, store images in CD is far better than memory cards. 30 cents (700MB CD) vs 15 dollars (1GB CF/SD card)

l

anyway, if you are keen to do DIY work, this may help you.

thnks a lot for the link! i think i know what to do now. that wooden frame among the pictures is an easy set-up. i got plenty of spare timber.

i will also try out the scanner method.

storage wise, i am thinking along the line of easy retrieval of images. so storage devices like an iPod or iTouch would come to mind.

i need the portability of stored images because i would want to refer back to my stamp collection while looking at products at the philatelic shop. i don't want to buy duplicates. :)

cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.