Servicing/Cleaning up for Canon DSLR

vincentyong

Dec 16, 2012
Singapore
Sorry, I am a newbie. Just wondering if I purchased a 2nd old canon model (500d) which the warranty already expired. But I wish to go for cleaning up as I noticed the sensor having some dirt on it. Wonder if canon does such service? If yes, wonder how much would it cost?

Sorry, I am a newbie. Just wondering if I purchased a 2nd old canon model (500d) which the warranty already expired. But I wish to go for cleaning up as I noticed the sensor having some dirt on it. Wonder if canon does such service? If yes, wonder how much would it cost?

Yes... CSC will do it... If no change... its $21.40 with GST...

Value Added Services & Service Charges - Canon Singapore - Personal

But the price list kind of confused.
Lets say tomorrow I bring it down to Canon at vivo for servicing, they mentioned in the website is less than 40mins but the price list dont know belong to which one.
They never put what else to bring along with other than my DSLR camera.

Lets say tomorrow I bring it down to Canon at vivo for servicing, they mentioned in the website is less than 40mins but the price list dont know belong to which one.

Just bring the stuff you want to get serviced. You will get a price quote there and then. If you don't like the price, you can just leave.

No one really 'Clean' the CMOS sensor... the actual term is - Cleaning of CMOS sensor's Low-pass filter

Normally, you just bring the camera... they have all the rest of the stuff... batteries and all else. But we usually bring one lens to do a 'Before & After' shoot... so that we could see with our own eyes did the cleaning remove the dust correctly... Therefore if you want, a fully power camera + one lens...

Just fyi, Canon Service Centre is at Keppel Bay Tower, not Vivocity (though it's nearby), and they're no open tomorrow ;)
Contact Us - Canon - Personal

And I think the 40min thing is just a rough estimate for the work done by the service people, doesn't mean you get back your camera in 40min time
Last I sent my camera for sensor cleaning few months ago it was $40, and get back few days later
Since your camera no more warrany, no need to bring any warranty card, just whatever you want serviced will do

Good luck!

I would suggest you learn how to clean the sensor yourself too.

Read it slowly. 40min refers to Class A services. Cleaning is only available as Class A service. But don't take it as hard and fast rule. Go down with your camera, ask politely, see what the response is. Sometimes it's done while you can go for kopi, sometimes it takes a bit more because so many people suddenly discovered dust everywhere (even where it doesn't matter at all). To cut the queue, google, watch youtube and learn to clean on your own. Takes you less than 15min and you can do it at home.

thanks all for your response.
if clean on my own, would it goes wrong :eek:
but i guess need to get the correct tools.

thanks all for your response.
if clean on my own, would it goes wrong :eek:
but i guess need to get the correct tools.

And you can follow the instructions in your manual and the dozens of videos on YouTube, etc etc.

Google will help you if you bother to put in basic effort.

Sent mine in for cleaning as there was some dust in the viewfinder which was irritating the crap out of me. Was quoted abt 60 something but after 1.5 hour wait, only had to pay 46 dollars and got a new focusing screen too.

Last edited:
Actually I might still need to go to their service centre as I cant check my shutter count. :(

Actually I might still need to go to their service centre as I cant check my shutter count. :(

Sometimes, I'm just puzzled why would one want to find out the shutter count of their own camera (other than sellers). Just keep shooting. The camera's shutter lifespan would likely be way longer than you would want to use them. Despite what Canon lists on the website about the overall shutter count, there should still be many people out there who exceed the count and still shooting fine.

of course if it's free, go ahead and ask... there are people who pay to know their shutter count -_-

:embrass: just wondering, what would really happen if shutter lifespan ended? Must get a new DSLR if that's the case? And how about lifespan of the lens (touch wood, never drop etc)?

:embrass: just wondering, what would really happen if shutter lifespan ended? Must get a new DSLR if that's the case? And how about lifespan of the lens (touch wood, never drop etc)?

If it ends, just get the shutter mechanism replaced at CSC for a fee... I think it's a couple of hundred dollars?

For lens, I believe I recalled people saying that lenses as old as them are still working fine...

Luckily, DSLR components can be replaced. The same goes for lenses in case any mechanical or electronic component fails. Whether the cost of repair make sense to you and your wallet is a different story. Stop worrying, go shooting.