Service to cover event, wedding ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowhere

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
Would like to provide photography service to cover events, weddings, ceremony ...
Please contact me at 96535260 or email fuwg2001@yahoo.com, if you are intersted in the services provided ...
i have been shooting for hobby for more than 1 years, but new in commercial shooting. so i am willing to accept lower price to build up my portfolio.
thanks

Yeah, lower price and tip the balance for the ricebowls of the professionals. :rolleyes:

dont suan him like that lah...he lower price at least its a humble gesture for a start mah :D

Oh no! I sense another "war" starting. :p Pls be nice. :p

nowhere said:
Would like to provide photography service to cover events, weddings, ceremony ...
Please contact me at 96535260 or email fuwg2001@yahoo.com, if you are intersted in the services provided ...
i have been shooting for hobby for more than 1 years, but new in commercial shooting. so i am willing to accept lower price to build up my portfolio.
thanks

If you are doing freelance, I suggest you find someway of compensating the hirer or have a exclusion clause in your contract if your photography goes wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with offering commercial services at lower rates to build a portfolio. It's a competitive industry (with far lower barriers of entry now more than ever) and pro or not, nobody owes anyone a living. Just my 2 cts.

nowhere said:
Would like to provide photography service to cover events, weddings, ceremony ...i have been shooting for hobby for more than 1 years, but new in commercial shooting. so i am willing to accept lower price to build up my portfolio.
thanks
Great! Welcome. :)
Just curious, no offend, but if you "screw" up the event eg wedding, are you ready to compensate the couple/organiser in monetary value? Is your 1 year of experience up to commerical standards? Do you have backup equipment, substitute photographers in your absence? Is by offering to accept a lower fee justify you to hold less responsibility and compensation if things go wrong?

Utimately I hope that you don't see it as by offering a lower fee, you are doing the other party a favour. Because when you mean commerical photography, I meant it that you are doing it as a professional photographer, and doing it for monatary gain. So no matter what amount you charge, whether big or small, you are responsible for the project and subjected to the same industry rules.

wow... did not expect so much awareness ... though not the type of awareness i am expecting ... : )
first, sorry if i use the wrong term, it's not really a "commercial" work, just some freelance or "doing a favour" kind of work. (i used the term commercial just to indicate it is not FOC).. Not trying to compete with the pros, and also not able to compete lah, as i am new ...
thank you for all your comments/suggestions on how to start as a beginner. they are good suggestions and i will think about it.
i do have backup cameras and get some friends doing freelance work that can help cover me if i am absent ... but as a start i may just try some not so critical work first ...
again, thanks for your comments and do let me know if you have any other suggestions, or you need helpers in your assignment? : )

Wah it sure is difficult to start off nowadays. Low fees cannot, no backup also cannot, "screw up" also cannot. Everything also must have compensation. So even backup photographer also cannot as the original portfolio shown is not the photographer so must compensate. Backup equipment also maybe cannot as not everybody carry exectly the same equipment and thus will not produce the same quality. :sweat: :sweat:
Next time maybe no oversea degree for photography also cannot. Wonder what criteria NG set for their potographers.

Sure is easier on the days gone by where people beg to have their weddings photo taken and photographer have to think of excuses to avoid it.

eric69 said:
Great! Welcome. :)
Just curious, no offend, but if you "screw" up the event eg wedding, are you ready to compensate the couple/organiser in monetary value? Is your 1 year of experience up to commerical standards? Do you have backup equipment, substitute photographers in your absence? Is by offering to accept a lower fee justify you to hold less responsibility and compensation if things go wrong?

Dennis said:
Wah it sure is difficult to start off nowadays. Low fees cannot, no backup also cannot, "screw up" also cannot. Everything also must have compensation. So even backup photographer also cannot as the original portfolio shown is not the photographer so must compensate. Backup equipment also maybe cannot as not everybody carry exectly the same equipment and thus will not produce the same quality. :sweat: :sweat:
Next time maybe no oversea degree for photography also cannot. Wonder what criteria NG set for their potographers.

Sure is easier on the days gone by where people beg to have their weddings photo taken and photographer have to think of excuses to avoid it.
Haha..I meant good lah. :)
I went through all this before, so just offering some advice for newcomers who want to offer their photography services lor, to be prepared for all kind of "funny" situations. If things go well, nobody will give a damn, but once something **** up, well, friends also can become foes!.

I think to cover your a** since you're new to this field of work, it's best if you apprentice as a photographer's assistant first before venturing out. Otherwise, it seems to me that you'll be subject to lots of issues like:

1. workflow problem
2. lighting issues,
3. payment issues,
4. heavier responsibilities in churning out good shots,
5. etc...

All the above is very important to learn on the job. And I tell you, DON'T MESS WITH PEOPLE'S WEDDING. You screw up is the same as screwing up the couples' memories.

Do yourself and everyone a favour.... be patient and learn from the pros instead of venturing out alone. When you've learned sufficiently (you'll never finish learning) and ready to be independent, then you can start advertising with confidence.

my two cents worth.

Say, take for eg weddings. How many have you taken before, be it at night help out friends kinda favour or as a tag along background type? I think you gotta go through at the very least 5 full days and/or a couple of dinner ones before you can start. Actually, most people are quite tolerant of "bad" shots on actual day lar (if you are not charging a high fee and i am sure they won't be expecting much as well). As long as you can document for them the actual day and get some pleasing shots, swee. They can't expect a pro's work with lots of digital touchups/effects (most like effects) and 400 frames for say $400. If you do not have online portfolio and the relevant experience, then just don't charge like the 800-1k bracket (or even higher).

Easiest way to put it, put up an online portfolio on pbase, state price and your deliverables. If couple can take your work and price, ON! :) Simple as that. If they are looking for someone who can create a nice fairytale with a nice beginning and nice ending with mood and emotion like what you can see here (http://www.studiodfia-kim.com/) for just $400, they must be joking

Anyway, i see in the first post that you are trying to build up a portfolio. In that case if you really don't have any (eg take company's D&D), then i think better not charge first, just tag along and shoot for fun to build it up. Portfolio is like your resume, you can't expect people to hire you by just saying that you have a degree right? :)

Everyone, I'd ask you to respect the thread starter's topic and refrain from passing OT comments about under-charging or starting out as a freelance. If you wish to discuss the merits and pitfalls of wedding or event photography, kindly do so in another thread. Everyone has to start somewhere, and we're all learning so let's all be a little more open and tolerant of others'. Good advice is appreciated, sarcasm and negative comments are not.

The Moderator
Marketplace

Larry said:
Everyone, I'd ask you to respect the thread starter's topic and refrain from passing OT comments about under-charging or starting out as a freelance. If you wish to discuss the merits and pitfalls of wedding or event photography, kindly do so in another thread. Everyone has to start somewhere, and we're all learning so let's all be a little more open and tolerant of others'. Good advice is appreciated, sarcasm and negative comments are not.

The Moderator
Marketplace

finally. well said. :thumbsup:

Well said, Larry!

Any other OT postings will be removed without any prior notice, nor any pm to the posters.

Marketplace

blurblock said:
If you are doing freelance, I suggest you find someway of compensating the hirer or have a exclusion clause in your contract if your photography goes wrong.

Compensation in form of lower price what..

ericjklim said:
Compensation in form of lower price what..

You lower the price also no use, the main items for the couples are pictures turning out. You can give them 10 cents per picture taken, if the pictures don't turn out, how are you going to ask them to go through the ceremony again? That is the compensation I am talking about should the pictures didn't turn out.

The lower price thing is not compensation, it is more like getting a lower remuneration for being inexperienced. You step into a hair saloon, I don't think you want to pay the same price for a student hair stylist and a professional hair stylist. Similar here, he is totally inexperienced, thus he is using the lower fees to attract people and gain experience for himself. That is not compensation in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.