Service and calibration for camera body or lens.

leiso

Mar 1, 2011
Hi guys, got some inquiries here. (specifically for Canon 550d and lens)

1. Do we need to send our camera & lens for service periodically to maintain it in tip-top performance?
If yes, how long do we send in once?

2. Always heard ppl send camera / lens for "calibration". What do they really do to it?

3. What is the range of charges for these calibration or service?

Thanks in advance..

Cheers.

1. No. It's not a car.
2. That's if they find focus issues.
3. Call up CSC and ask.

1) Read your camera manual. If there is anything to service that cannot be done at home by average Joe then it's written there.
2) Either they find focus issues or they are picky and pixel peeping like "the lens is soft" - here some read up: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/12/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths as well as https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/10/notes-on-lens-and-camera-variation
3) CSC has a website and a price list for standard service activities.

Last edited:
If can go to CSC or read manual, what do I come here for. waste my time for nothing

If can go to CSC or read manual, what do I come here for. waste my time for nothing

Exactly, you should try to learn on your own before spamming a forum. CS is not a helpdesk or concierge forum, nor a free spoonfeeding forum for people too lazy to read their manual. You are not wasting your time, but everyone else's.

Indeed, a good question to ponder about ;)
What are all these people doing with their manuals after unpacking the camera (or any other piece of equipment). Where do the CDs with drivers, programs and manuals end up?

Indeed, a good question to ponder about ;)
What are all these people doing with their manuals after unpacking the camera (or any other piece of equipment). Where do the CDs with drivers, programs and manuals end up?

And, what did people ever do before the internet was invented? Seems like there could not have been any photographers before CS, since obviously only CS has the answers...