Server experts, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alangoh

Jul 3, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
I am completely clueless about server settings so would greatly appreciate some advise on the following:

1. I am running Windows XP, and have enabled IIS. Do I still need Apache? Can I install Apache on a XP-based "server"? I am trying to set up the localhost as my testing server.

2. Netpbm, Imagemagick - looks like they are server based software, where do I "install" them on my XP?

3. I can't seem to use chmod command on Windows. Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!

alangoh said:
I am completely clueless about server settings so would greatly appreciate some advise on the following:

1. I am running Windows XP, and have enabled IIS. Do I still need Apache? Can I install Apache on a XP-based "server"? I am trying to set up the localhost as my testing server.

2. Netpbm, Imagemagick - looks like they are server based software, where do I "install" them on my XP?

Thanks in advance!

Er... no expert here, just see what I can do.

1. You don't need apache, if you are already running IIS. And by default, your locahost is already pointing to your C:\Inetpub\wwwroot , which is your IIS server. Just type localhost, or 127.0.0.1

2. Does those 2 files come in win32 format? Thought they are for unix based only, not too sure.

3. chmod is meant for unix based systems only. In windows, you can change file attributes in window explorer, or file permission if you are running NTFS. And since you are using xp, you can run ntfs.

:)

Hi

1. If your requirement is to install question 2, yes, you will need to install Apache to run those 2 plugins or components for PHP coz IIS (or known as Internet Information Server) support ASP (Active Server Page) but not PHP (dunno known as what) scripting.

2. Not sure what that is, cannot help.

3. Would like to know what is chmod too :)

alangoh said:

Thanks in advance!

Based on experience setting up Apache2 + PHP4 on WinXP to install (PHP)Gallery...

1. IIS is a web server from MS. No need to install Apache then, unless your particular application runs only on Apache.

2. ImageMagick comes in a Win32 flavour. Just run the installation (.exe) file and accept the defaults.

3. There is no CHMOD commands in WinXP--they are only applicable in the Unix/Linux world. Just ignore them if you see them in the manual pages of your server application.

Additional notes (for the curious):
If you are installing PHP...
- PHP4 does not come packaged with either IIS or Apache. You'll need to download them from http://php.net and choose the correct version from there. Configuration of PHP to work with your web server can be another exhausting exercise, depending on your skill and luck.

If you are installing (PHP) Gallery...
- It works best in a Unix/Linux environment but still workable in WinXP. Just that you'll miss some functions like ability to upload Zip files and stuff...

theITguy said:
Hi

1. If your requirement is to install question 2, yes, you will need to install Apache to run those 2 plugins or components for PHP coz IIS (or known as Internet Information Server) support ASP (Active Server Page) but not PHP (dunno known as what) scripting.

2. Not sure what that is, cannot help.

3. Would like to know what is chmod too :)

PHP supports IIS (not the other way round)...just choose the correct version of PHP and configure accordingly based on the PHP documentation.

CHMOD is a set of security attributes applied to a file or directory that restricts access to different levels of users. Nearest equalvant in WinXP would be the security attributes if your hard disk partition uses NTFS.

alangoh said:

Thanks in advance!

1. You would not need Apache when you had already enabled IIS, however, I would suggest you disable IIS and install Apache instead. It is smaller and consume lesser resources.

2. Netpbm can only run under windows if you install DJGPP/GNU (Cygwin) or Using Ming32.

Imagemagick does have a Windows Version, just follow the normal installation method.

3. There is no chmod or equivient command in Windows, except maybe attribute command which perform SOME of the function of chmod, but it does not change permission of the file for specific person.

If you're installing the gallery software, read the documents that appear in the docs directory after unzipping ;)

Thanks all, I have installed Apache 1.3.x as per the PHP4 documentation, PHP and ImageMagick. I have configured Apache, and PHP seems to be working.

I get a javascript problem though - there seems to be a SymRealWinOpen debug error. If you open the script editor, it relates to:

Microsoft Jscript runtime error: SymRealWinOpen undefined.

Copied from the editor:
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymRealOnUnload;

function SymOnUnload()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymRealOnUnload != null)
SymRealOnUnload();
}

function SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
window.onunload = SymOnUnload;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</script>

Any ideas what's wrong? Thanks very much again!

Status
Not open for further replies.