seriously - is this a good deal - $ 420 for a export Panasonic DMC-G5KK

Okay, I use to own Canon s100, wasn't aware that it cannot zoom, petty noob for me

Okay, I use to own Canon s100, wasn't aware that it cannot zoom, petty noob for me

Your S100 CAN ZOOM. But it's just that you slide your right finger left or right to zoom in or out. But for DSLR systems, you use your LEFT hand to turn the zoom barrel on the lens to zoom in or out. But once you have turned to the point where you cannot turn anymore, you have either reached the widest or the furthest it can zoom to.

From this point, if you need wider or further reach, you may need to evaluate your budget and look for lenses that meet those requirement.

Do note: There are other lens like prime lens that cannot zoom. But the one you are using is the standard kit zoom lens. Which can zoom.

Your S100 CAN ZOOM. But it's just that you slide your right finger left or right to zoom in or out. But for DSLR systems, you use your LEFT hand to turn the zoom barrel on the lens to zoom in or out. But once you have turned to the point where you cannot turn anymore, you have either reached the widest or the furthest it can zoom to.

From this point, if you need wider or further reach, you may need to evaluate your budget and look for lenses that meet those requirement.

Do note: There are other lens like prime lens that cannot zoom. But the one you are using is the standard kit zoom lens. Which can zoom.

panasonic range of lens arent very impressive, also it lens look pricey as well.

panasonic range of lens arent very impressive, also it lens look pricey as well.

It's not what range of lens that they have. It's what you need and what you can utilize to its fullest potential.

To determine what is impressive or not, you may want to see the lens user group in flickr and for yourself.

If what you are going to shoot is only going be uploaded to fb, even kit lenses is Damn impressive in terms of iq.

And, in case you have yet to realize, this IS an expensive hobby.

::btw, (IIRC) every camera maker have lenses that cover the range from ultra wide to tele. In this case of Panasonic, I'm pretty sure they have lenses that covers from 14mm-200mm (7-14, 12-35, 35-100). I'm pretty sure they have macro lenses as well.

Last edited:
It's not what range of lens that they have. It's what you need and what you can utilize to its fullest potential.

To determine what is impressive or not, you may want to see the lens user group in flickr and for yourself.

If what you are going to shoot is only going be uploaded to fb, even kit lenses is Damn impressive in terms of iq.

And, in case you have yet to realize, this IS an expensive hobby.

::btw, (IIRC) every camera maker have lenses that cover the range from ultra wide to tele. In this case of Panasonic, I'm pretty sure they have lenses that covers from 14mm-200mm (7-14, 12-35, 35-100). I'm pretty sure they have macro lenses as well.

Don't forget that you can usr Olympus' M4/3 lenses as well, just sans the IS

Don't forget that you can usr Olympus' M4/3 lenses as well, just sans the IS

ah.. missed that part.. I'm not a MFT user :p

*Kinda envy those smaller systems now.. Bigger sensor = bigger glass = more exp than MFT lenses (in general)*

Believe it's a better deal from Amazon JP ¥ 27,800 (approx S$346)

OLYMPUS ミラーレス一眼 PEN E-P3 レンズキット ホワイト E-P3 LKIT WHT by オリンパス http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0058G3YT0/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_h6yJsb1T7DS7H