Series E primes - Worth getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryvaleus

Nov 12, 2007
Brunei
blurrypixels.com
I'm looking for fast and light primes, particularly in the telephoto range.. say somewhere between 100 to 200mm. I gather these lenses were made as budget primes way back when. I don't mind the manual focusing. I do want decent IQ, though I'm not too picky in that area either - I don't pixel-peep.. much. ;p

I'll be using 'em on a D700 so if I read the manual right, they should be able to meter just fine, right? Are there any issues I should be aware of though such as light fall-off or distortions with any particular lenses? And on that note, any specific lenses you'd recommend?

Oh and my usage is mainly for more or less stationary subjects such as landscapes, and maybe the occasional portrait.

Why not?

Someone is selling the 100mm in BnS.

Yeah the 100mm F/2.8 E is a good performer.

I'm looking for fast and light primes, particularly in the telephoto range.. say somewhere between 100 to 200mm. I gather these lenses were made as budget primes way back when. I don't mind the manual focusing. I do want decent IQ, though I'm not too picky in that area either - I don't pixel-peep.. much. ;p

I'll be using 'em on a D700 so if I read the manual right, they should be able to meter just fine, right? Are there any issues I should be aware of though such as light fall-off or distortions with any particular lenses? And on that note, any specific lenses you'd recommend?

Oh and my usage is mainly for more or less stationary subjects such as landscapes, and maybe the occasional portrait.

The Series E lenses were introduced by Nikon as a range of more affordable budget lenses as compared to the Nikkor lenses. They usually have slower apertures than the Nikkors. However, over time, some of these E lenses developed into CULT lenses well regarded by pros and amateurs alike. If you do a google search you should be able to identify which ones are favoured. Personally I love my Nikon Series E 75-150/3.5!!

well, as far as tele manual primes come along, put aside the 100mm. go for the 105mm 2.5 it isnt much more money but the performance is much much better.

well, as far as tele manual primes come along, put aside the 100mm. go for the 105mm 2.5 it isnt much more money but the performance is much much better.

I've been around a while, when E Series was one choice when buying new lenses.

As performances go, there are all decent. But they were (note past tense) mechanically inferior to the AIS lenses, seen quite a few that the lens got a knock and the focusing mechanism died. Compared to today's AF lenses, however, the E Series can be considered to have good built!

Apart from the 75-150mm f/3.5 E Series which yatsunil pointed out is a cult lens, all others were decent performers but do not justify the asking prices some at BnS are asking. IMHO all are inferior to the corresponding AI or AIS versions.

And I agree with hacknet that the better choice is the Ai or AiS 105mm f/2.5, which is another cult lens. You don't need to pay much more for this cult lens. I would buy E Series only if the price is significantly cheaper, although I do have a soft spot for the 75-150mm.

See Nikon Thousand and One Nights for what Nikon considers as legendary lenses, and the 105mm f/2.5 is feature there.

Bjørn Rørslett's evaluations doesn't even include the series E lenses except the 75-150mm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys! diedie especially, and thanks for the links too. Now to go and check it out.

i get my e series lense from Keh.com. including shipping (ask for the cheaper, fedex option) they are cheaper than most of the BnS sales most of the time.

i have purchased 4 series e and one teleconverter from them over the last 6 months. no problems. products arrive within 3 weeks in the condition (some better than expected) that was advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.